DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   My Shelter - a new short film - shot on GH5, edited FCPX (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/537304-my-shelter-new-short-film-shot-gh5-edited-fcpx.html)

Brian Duke February 24th, 2020 05:47 AM

My Shelter - a new short film - shot on GH5, edited FCPX

Hope you enjoy it and please give feedback if any or ask me any questions. Thanks again

Paul R Johnson February 24th, 2020 01:01 PM

Re: My Shelter - a new short film - shot on GH5, edited FCPX

In don't know if this helps - but the title and the opening shots made me think this was some kind of disaster movie. I figured the syringes were some kind of antidote, and the strange marks on their face some kind of plague thing. Then the woman who came out reinforced that view. Only when they were inside did I realise she was the grandmother. From there on, I got it - but was waiting for there to be some kind of shelter they were aiming to find up till then.

Nicely done - but maybe I'm just not savvy enough to get it?

Brian Duke February 24th, 2020 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson (Post 1957594)
In don't know if this helps - but the title and the opening shots made me think this was some kind of disaster movie. I figured the syringes were some kind of antidote, and the strange marks on their face some kind of plague thing. Then the woman who came out reinforced that view. Only when they were inside did I realise she was the grandmother. From there on, I got it - but was waiting for there to be some kind of shelter they were aiming to find up till then.

Nicely done - but maybe I'm just not savvy enough to get it?

THANKS!! Really appreciate you watching and taking the time to give feedback. It's always nice to hear from other people. I never even thought it would be viewed as a post-apocalyptic film, but now that you bring it up I can see why.

I generally like making films where its left up the the viewer's interpretation to some extend. "My Shelter" can have different meaning, but essentially it's from Emma, the girl's POV, her shelter away from her parents addiction.

I do, however, want to make a post apocalyptic film some day 👍

Thanks again...

Paul Mailath March 27th, 2020 08:40 PM

liked it - solid acting, looked great. I was also confused with the makeup and the post apocalyptic look (maybe it's the current situation).

The ending wasn't enough for me, no resolution or explaination of the title - maybe if the grandmother had mentioned 'shelter' (maybe she did & I missed it) and you added a final scene where grandmother & child were left (feeding the goats or something) showing the the child now had shelter.

Pete Cofrancesco March 28th, 2020 08:20 AM

Well done. Echo minor complaints about the tie in with the title and ending. Liked the goats.

Brian Duke March 29th, 2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Mailath (Post 1958458)
liked it - solid acting, looked great. I was also confused with the makeup and the post apocalyptic look (maybe it's the current situation).

The ending wasn't enough for me, no resolution or explaination of the title - maybe if the grandmother had mentioned 'shelter' (maybe she did & I missed it) and you added a final scene where grandmother & child were left (feeding the goats or something) showing the the child now had shelter.

Hi Paul, thanks for watching and taking the time to give feedback. Yeah, it might be the current climate as why some get confused with the title. Regarding the ending, we ran out of time and actors needed to leave, but I did have one scene planned to see the girl by herself. I'm just not sure it's needed. I generally prefer leaving it up to the audience to decide what happens. The title can have many different meanings. It could be for the son and wife looking for shelter. It could be grandma's shelter from son and wife, and obviously could be granddaughter shelter from her situation.

I guess we all suffer a bit, at least I know I do, from having expectations and meeting them when watching a movie. Some, I had certain expectations that weren't met but on several more viewings I changed my mind for the better, and some it was for the worse.

Everything people say I listen to, even if it takes a few days to ponder on. So I do really appreciate your feedback. It means a lot 😎

Brian Duke March 29th, 2020 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco (Post 1958463)
Well done. Echo minor complaints about the tie in with the title and ending. Liked the goats.

Thanks, Pete. Super appreciate it. I tried to give somewhat of an explanation to some of the concerns.