DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Quarantine video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/537370-quarantine-video.html)

David Evans April 4th, 2020 12:42 PM

Quarantine video

Hey guys,

In a time of quarantine and trying to live a new kind of "normal", I did a video/documentary of what it's like to work with two kids at home.

Important to say that, since I'm doing this at home (and I don't own any lighting), no artificial lighting was used...

Hope your like it and leave your feedback here

Donald McPherson April 5th, 2020 03:03 AM

Re: Quarantine video

I enjoyed that. A great insight into how you and your family are coping with this virus and quarantine. You have a beautiful family keep safe.

Paul R Johnson April 5th, 2020 08:38 AM

Me too - lovely and flowing images and a real couple of good kids there! I thought it worked really well to tell the story - and proved that kids world wide think and act the same!

Kind of a 'pretty' video.

John Nantz April 5th, 2020 11:32 AM

David -
Really, really! Nice video.This is definitely a keeper. Years from now the family will be watching this and the grandkids will be looking at mommy when she was a kid.

Lots of nice spots, just noting a few toward the end:
11:43 exercise; Mom doing exercise then the pan over to answering the question, whats’ she doing? The TV with the kids, so everybody is exercising because of the quarantine. And then the view looking the opposite direction, with the kids in front and Mom in back. Excellent!

12:14 Answering a question or an editorial comment from daughter: “Mom works harder, but dad is fun”! Got a kick out of that. Wives do work very hard and the older I get the more I’m beginning to realize that. Daughter, at a very young age, is very astute.

~ 12:47 Piano: A great instrument to start kids on at an early age. It teaches a lot more than just music, plus, I’m convinced it also helps with brain development. Most any instrument is good but the piano is easy. For anyone reading this, they also come in keyboard sizes for the really young.

~13:20 … what’s really important … excellent observation.
Wonderful ending!

The video was very pleasant to watch, and like Paul said, the flowing images gave it a soft touch. Nice color and good use of depth of field, which I know you like to do.

As an aside, the BBC “Culture” & photography, had an article about old photos and your video would fit into that category eventually as "old videos":
“Anonymous Project: A secret history hiding in plain sight”, 7 December 2019
A project collecting together thousands of photos from flea markets and auction sites offers touching glimpses into strangers’ lives, writes Fiona Macdonald.
BBC - Culture - Anonymous Project: A secret history hiding in plain sight

Edit: Oh, and like a good ending, that was a good beginning with the star of the show. She's a good actress. But, like I say, all females are actress'. And she's a good one!

Bill Ackerman April 5th, 2020 11:54 AM

I thought, "No way I'm watching 15 seconds, much less 14 minutes, of some guy's family video". Was I wrong! I enjoyed every second of this on every level: technical, creative, emotional. Thank you for brightening a bleak day.

David Evans April 5th, 2020 03:56 PM

Thanks for taking the time to watch and comment, guys.

Being in quarantine is hard on everyone, so all we can do is speak (or shoot, write, draw, paint, whatever) of our own experience. I really miss being able to film outdoors, so I decided to do this short video, not only as an historic document for my own family, but as something that could be felt by others going through the same.

Thanks for watching!