DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Show Your Work 2006 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/54679-show-your-work-2006-a.html)

Steve Shilson January 11th, 2006 07:53 AM

Thanks very much for the feedback guys, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to check out everything that was on the website!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cory Cone
I'm excited to see the finished product. How will I be able to get a hold of a copy when it's done?

We figure that the final edit of the movie won't be ready until the summer and it also all depends on how it makes out with film festivals aswell, but when it becomes available. . .I will be posting where you can get a copy on here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Graham
I noticed the guy on the computer, was that just your sound engineer recording the audio or were you editing as you went? cause editing as you are filmming is something i'd like to try on my next project, could save alot of time later. all the best.

There were 3 different guys on computers in the 'control' room which was across the hall from the set room. One was our web-updaters, One of the guys was our audio engineer; recording everything directly to the computer. One was me, I was editing all of the blogs and although I wasn't actually editing the movie right then and there. At the end of each day, both directors would sit down with me and I would show them rough edits and it would give them an idea of how it will end up turning out.

Jean-Francois Robichaud January 11th, 2006 03:07 PM

Documentary about Kino-groups and Kino-Kabaret

The following is a cool and short documentary about the Montreal Kino-Kabaret event which took place in October. The event allowed a large group of filmmakers from around the world to converge in one place and write, shoot, edit and screen short movies over the course of 10 days.

The documentary was made by Tona Williams from Wisconsin, and screened at the first screening of the Kabaret. It's a good introduction to what Kino and Kino-Kabarets are about.

http://www.wis-kino.com/films/good_kick-williams.html

The next Kino-Kabaret season will start soon, with upcoming events in:
Louisville, Kentucky, USA (February 9th - 11), www.kinolouisville.com/
Adelaide, Australia (March 9-18), www.kinoadelaide.org/
Vienna, Austria (May 20-28), www.kino5.net/
Hamburg, Germany (June 2-10), www.hamburgerkino.de
Quebec, Canada (May? June?) www.kinoqc.com
Brussels, Belgium (sometime this Spring), www.kinobelgique.org
Madison, Wisconsin, USA (sometime this Spring) www.wis-kino.com

Stay tuned, there will a lot more during the Summer.

Paul Jefferies January 11th, 2006 08:17 PM

3 x Music videos

Hi,
I'd love to hear any feedback about a few music videos we made last year - all shot on DVcam. The video for "Mind my Creps" was produced by my production company Candyfloss and Razorblades Ltd, the other two videos we worked on in various areas such as lighting, facilities, grip etc. There is a dedicated site set up to view them at www.eye-saw.co.uk and my company website is www.candyblades.org.uk (although the site is not totally up and running yet)
Thanks
Paul Jefferies

Ash Greyson January 12th, 2006 12:49 AM

Riley this kind of footage is VERY sought after and very expensive. It is not all that hard to shoot but requires a lot of time. I shot lots of time lapse for a show opening and it was hit and miss... sometimes you have to get lucky with the weather, etc. FYI, most time lapse stuff wont be 24P if it was shot on video. The best looking stuff comes from shooting it in real time and speeding it up in post.

ash =o)

Eniola Akintoye January 12th, 2006 03:12 PM

Nice nice nice. ..... very nice.

I liked the special effects, what editing software did you use to achieve that?

Oh by the way, I watch the video where the rat was speeding on the streets of London I believe, uhmm, how come the rat did not get photographed by those cameras on the streets of London, I got one when I was on vacation 2 weeks ago.

Jeremy Hughes January 12th, 2006 10:33 PM

Mind my Creps was cool - where can I get me some of dem shoes :)

Who did the edit, who shot it, etc? I take from your site that you prob were the DP and your other partners directed and edited? The edit was nice. Really nice pace and stepping up and back with the shot selection

Paul Jefferies January 13th, 2006 06:02 AM

Hi,
Thanks for you kind words,
The DP on these shoots was Martin Fickling, who also directed/co-directed two of the videos. My role was more along the lines of production co-ordinator, although on low budget jobs like these everyone does everything! I did some 2nd unit camera, and some of the Jib shots were mine (yes, including the wobbly ones!) The effects were done in After Effects, with the editing in either Avid Xpress pro or Final Cut.
As regards getting caught by the speed camera, in fact you may see in one of the scenes that a pair of motorbikes overtakes the camera car, these were police bikes and this take ended with the car getting pulled over (fortunately they were understanding about a car driving through London at night with a camera strapped to the roof)

Matt Champagne January 15th, 2006 02:42 PM

Someone has definately been watching alot of Anime and Miike movies lol. Very well done piece. Excellent effects work and cinematography. There were a few parts where I didn't really like the created sets and props. It was sort of too created --as in I couldn't stop thinking about the gold leafing on the gun-- but it did sort of fit in with the dream-like vibe.

The shot at the end with the window curtain blowing and the single light bulb...absolutely amazing.

Dean Bull January 15th, 2006 03:02 PM

Ha-ha – sometimes what is real doesn’t look real. Lesson Learned. That blunderbuss is actually made out of hammered copper, and then aged with vinegar. So, in defense of the prop, if a mystical blunderbuss made out of hammered copper actually existed, then it would look like that. The other thing to consider is this... had I used just a typical shotgun, would that have not been completely out of place in the film? I appreciate your comments... I think next time I will use a resin cast, or something more solid. All in all, I still have the prop hanging on my wall.

Also, thanks for taking a look, perhaps others may view the thing based on your review?

Matt Champagne January 15th, 2006 03:12 PM

Lol so you actually put alot of effort into that particular prop. I agree a shotgun would have looked out of place. I don't know that, and the casket just sort of looked funny, and some of the walls in the hallway -- and the gray spray n' tips on the guys forehead lol. But overall its an amazing looking video.

Unfortunately, my impression is that not alot of people on this board like torrents, so you may want to make a compressed wmv or quicktime as an alternative viewing method, though its understandable if you don't think you have the bandwidth.

Dean Bull January 15th, 2006 05:31 PM

That’s a shame you couldn't get into the design of the project. However, for all the things that didn't work for you, many other folks have commented the opposite... just showing that once a film is finished, it goes on the chopping block for somebody to buy or not.

That’s a shame about torrents. As media producers on this site, I would think that more people would be keen to embrace the "new wave" of media distribution... its come people!! Torrent video on demand! In broadcast quality.

I am gonna get a divx hosted soon -- and then, more people might be more likely to check out the thing.

Dean

Ryan Douglas January 15th, 2006 11:42 PM

Mustangs Mic'd Up (HS Football)

I used to work for the Jacksonville Jaguars. we did a weekly piece where we put a wireless microphone on a player and made a little 3-5 min pakcage out of the audio and corresponding video. I now ownand operate my company which produces highlight and recruiting DVDs for high school athletics. So I decided to see if I could make the package work for high school. My only regret is that the player I mic'd up was not as vocal as the nfl players we used in Jacksonville. I am open to both positive and negative opinions.

p.s. keep in mind the audio and video quality are a lot better when i export to dvd.

http://www.filelodge.com/files/hdd7/...%20up%20QT.mov

Rafael Lopes January 17th, 2006 07:53 AM

FX1E CF25 SD TEST footage

Hi Gang,

I have owned the FX1E for about a month, but I took a trip and didn't have time to test it until last weekend (not so sure you can call this a proper test though). I shot this by my self very very quickly to test the camera and the light (I plan to shoot in this space). My pc is falling to pieces and cannot handle Hd...so I had to downconvert on camera to be able to edit the footage in SD (to make things worst, my firewire stoped working and I had to make an analog capture). After I made some CC on after effects I had one more pleasent surprise...all compresion formats made my pc crash...the only format that held ALMOST to the end was a very very poorly compressed DVX/Xvid. You will probably wonder why the heck does the video suddenly ends...that was when I decided my pc was too evil to remain intact and I drove an axe into it (just kidding...the pc crashed again and it didn't work anymore). Oh, tech detail: shutter 1/50, CF25, f1.6, gain 0.

Finaly, feel free to enjoy this piece of crap while I go back to burning my pc and going to the store to buy a new decent one:

http://www.stickypod.com/stickypod_u...Unfinished.avi

Georg Liigand January 17th, 2006 10:01 AM

PD150 TV footage...

Hello,

For anyone who's interested, on the following website you can watch a TV show filmed with PD150s. They are experienced cameramen and it's rather interesting to watch how they use those cams even if you cannot understand what the story is about. They have a rather interesting fast-panning style. There are two hosts (two cameras), they move around in the city and offer a free trip to famous resort places like Egypt etc. The trick is that the people who accept the offer have to get to the airport in 2 or 3 hours. However, only one person (sometimes with friend) will win the trip - the one who gets to the airport first and jumps onto the yellow circle on the floor.

Anyway, this is how to watch it: Go to the website http://www.tv.ee , find the yellow/red Channel 2 icon on the left side of the page and there's a great list of numerous different TV programmes. You will have to click on the very last one (Väljalend). Then the player will open, the last show will begin playing and you can switch between the olders via the right hand menu.

Jeremy Hughes January 17th, 2006 11:22 AM

Looks like the link truncated so the page isnt loading