DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Damn these guys are good. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/59158-damn-these-guys-good.html)

Adam Bray January 26th, 2006 02:56 AM

Damn these guys are good.

It's just my opinion, but after looking at the teaser for their film The Collective and ROAM, I must say I'm quite impressed. I have seen plenty of extreme sports videos, most with big jumps with terrible rock music from unsigned bands jamming in the backgroud. These kids have added a very artistic feel to it. I could watch these teasers over and over and have ordered their Collective video.

I like the ROAM teaser, it show lots of "behind the scenes" shots of their filming. It's alway nice to get a glimpse of whats going on behind the camera and "how did they do that?".

Check it out..

http://www.thecollectivefilm.com/index.html

Tony Moskal January 26th, 2006 04:44 AM

Wow!

Awesome. Excellent music. Love the slowmo. Especially impressed with the 'high-wire' shots. I was blown away by the last shot on the Collective teaser. Definitely had to take a few looks at it. Impressive to say the least.

Thanks for the heads up on this site. I'm ordering the dvd too.

Simon Wyndham January 26th, 2006 05:25 AM

Although the jumps amaed me, one of the most amazing things on that teaser I thought was the guy who rode his bike very slowly along a railing, and then along the chain that linked two sections of the railing!

Jeremy Hughes January 26th, 2006 10:31 AM

The wire rig they were using to follow the bikers was awesome. I wonder how much time it took to figure out how fast or slow the rig needed to slide to keep up with the bikes

Simon Wyndham January 26th, 2006 10:39 AM

I know someone that has built a similar rig for the movie project that they are working on. I wouldn't be worried so much about myself as I would be about damaging the camera! Those guys acheived some amazing shots from it though.

Steven Julien January 26th, 2006 10:42 AM

it is now my dream to use a cablecam. that looked like a lot of fun. excellent shots.

Simon Wyndham January 26th, 2006 10:59 AM

Cablecam is still in prototype stages really even on the pro rigs. The guy I told you about also did some work on Charlie And The Chocolate Factory where their cablecam failed and dumped $100k or more worth of film camera into the chocolate river!

Good luck, and take care!

Meryem Ersoz January 26th, 2006 11:11 AM

i reviewed the collective in my independent film review podcast, "Off the Grid."

if you can see The Collective on the big screen, don't miss it. those cable-cam shots are even more mind-blowing.

also, i recommended a coupla other adrenaline films. here's the link, if anyone is interested:

http://www.ourmedia.org/node/101497

or

http://ia300211.us.archive.org/0/ite..._the_Grid1.mp3

Andrew C. Stewart January 26th, 2006 11:24 AM

WoW! I wish I had the resources and time to have that much fun.

Filming is fun. I love every minute of it. But people here know how limiting time and finances can be.

Travis Cossel January 28th, 2006 06:39 PM

Two words . . . holy sh*t . . . .

Jipsi Kinnear January 30th, 2006 03:36 AM

Yea, you would be good too if your dad owned the biggest ski resort in North America. Jamie's family owns Whistler/Blackcomb, filthy stinkin' rich with lots of toys and money at his disposal.

Mike Marriage January 30th, 2006 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham
Although the jumps amaed me, one of the most amazing things on that teaser I thought was the guy who rode his bike very slowly along a railing, and then along the chain that linked two sections of the railing!

Exactly what I though!

...Well that and the B&W DIY Cablecam shot.

Adam Bray January 30th, 2006 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jipsi Kinnear
Yea, you would be good too if your dad owned the biggest ski resort in North America. Jamie's family owns Whistler/Blackcomb, filthy stinkin' rich with lots of toys and money at his disposal.

I think even if he was flat broke and daddy owned muffler shop, the films would stilll be good. Someone in that group has vision. You can't buy that. You have it, or you don't.

Andrew C. Stewart January 30th, 2006 02:21 PM

agree with Adam...you can't buy vision.

you can however buy all the equipment that lets you fulfill that vision.

Emre Safak January 30th, 2006 03:02 PM

If they are reading: good job guys.

Simon Wyndham January 30th, 2006 03:47 PM

This is one of those rare cases where someone with money to burn for any equipment that they like also has the talent to use it. It is good that such people are in existence as it allows for films that would not otherwise be made to be shot.

Evan C. King January 31st, 2006 02:55 AM

goddamn what I wouldn't give to be able to bike like that....

Sean Bouchard January 31st, 2006 09:53 AM

Wow. That teaser for ROAM has such a vibe to it. Awesome job, I like how they threw some "behind the scenes" footage into the trailer I love seeing how they do those creative shots.

Adam Bray January 31st, 2006 12:13 PM

Yeah, those teasers rock.

Meryem Ersoz January 31st, 2006 12:44 PM

i'm wondering if that is "behind the scenes" footage or if this next video is going to expose the extreme filmmaking as part of what is in the finished work. i think the previous film was successful because, if you've seen it, you spend of lot of time thinking, "how the heck did they get that shot?" the first film marries extreme biking to extreme filmmaking but you don't get to see the filmmaking because it lurks behind the biking. maybe this next one intends to do both...now that would be a really amazing bit of film!

Chris Barcellos January 31st, 2006 12:51 PM

Curious

I have The Collective on my Net flix cue now, after seeing that site.. Great stuff..

Charles Papert January 31st, 2006 02:47 PM

The human cablecam (Meatcam?) shots were fantastic, really inventive and pretty damn fearless, but I suppose if one is used to hurtling oneself off a cliff with a mountain bike, hanging off a suspension cable with a camera is just a walk in the park.

As I used to hear around me growing up in Boston, wicked pissah.

James R Cooper February 1st, 2006 08:24 AM

Amazing shots!

Brian J. Harris February 5th, 2006 03:42 PM

Not even when I was young.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
I have The Collective on my Net flix cue now, after seeing that site.. Great stuff..

Ha, I added it to mine the other day too.

That is so incredibly well done. I'm not an extreme sports fan, but these films seem to go beyond a typical sample from this genre.

For an old guy like me to rent this, well, I give credit to the filmmakers.

Nick Weeks February 5th, 2006 04:10 PM

wow.....

Not a fan at all of the sports genre, but wow... simply amazing. I'm definately going to have to see this, just for the great shots

Derrick A.Jones February 6th, 2006 06:40 PM

that was sweet. love the wiring rig. I know it took a lot of time to get that just right..

Adam Bray February 15th, 2006 11:47 PM

I got my copy of the video today. IT'S GOOD!

Sean Bouchard February 16th, 2006 11:05 PM

I ordered mine almost 2 weeks ago, still waiting... Hopefully it comes soon, the trailer looks sooooo good.

Dennis Wood February 17th, 2006 07:15 AM

One of the great things about being loaded though is the freedom to take the time, experiment, and buy what you need.

If you're a day jobber you don't have that luxury, vision or otherwise.

For those of you that've seen the latest Matchstick ski flicks, these cable cam shots are very similar to the helicopter shots of guys doing big air. The helicopter is flown beside and sometimes around the jumper...for some stunning "matrix-like" footage. The cable rig, although obviously taking way more time to set up, is much safer for all concerned.

This definitely gives the Matchstick stuff (previously my fav) a run for its money.

James Bridges February 17th, 2006 04:30 PM

Very nice! On my netflix as well. That would be a great way to spend the day. Camera in one hand and bike in the other. Awesome shots!

Adam Bray February 18th, 2006 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Bouchard
I ordered mine almost 2 weeks ago, still waiting... Hopefully it comes soon, the trailer looks sooooo good.

Mine took a while. Ordered January 26th. Arrived February 16th.

Joe Strong February 20th, 2006 12:20 PM

Many thanks for the heads-up on this one. Beautiful stuff there. Why, I do believe I'm inspired.

James Emory February 20th, 2006 01:44 PM

Film sure does make a difference. Those cablecam shots were spectacular too. I don't know what Apple users are able to do with that little bitty embedded player as far as sizing but you can't do diddly to it with a PC. However, with a PC you can find the video files in your tempory internet files after they download by navigating to tools>internet options>settings>view files and there they are in full gionic resolution. Just copy them to another directory, open them in a stand alone player and super size them by choosing view>double size (QT) or full screen (WMP) for a whole new viewing experience of these videos. I just hate those embedded players with a 3 inch screen.

Adam Bray February 21st, 2006 10:31 PM

Here's a screenshot of one of their cameras. I was suprised to see the 503.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/3420/dscn02383xb.jpg

What kind of Arriflex camera is that in the foreground?

Adam Bray February 21st, 2006 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Emory
I don't know what Apple users are able to do with that little bitty embedded player as far as sizing but you can't do diddly to it with a PC. However, with a PC you can find the video files in your tempory internet files after they download by navigating to tools>internet options>settings>view files and there they are in full gionic resolution. Just copy them to another directory, open them in a stand alone player and super size them by choosing view>double size (QT) or full screen (WMP) for a whole new viewing experience of these videos. I just hate those embedded players with a 3 inch screen.

Huhhhhh????

James Emory February 21st, 2006 10:46 PM

I guess that wasn't clear. When I clicked on the video links, it opened a small 3 inch player window that I couldn't resize. The other was a bit larger at 4-5 inches but still smaller than I like. It may be different for Apples, as far as player controls, but I can't stand viewing small video screens, especially with a broadband connection. So, after they downloaded, I copied the video files from the TI files, where they were now independent files, to another directory. This allowed me to open them in a stand alone player and control the size of it. I was then able to view the video at near full screen on a 15" monitor. I don't know how or if that works on Apples but that's what you can do on a PC with any files that download.

Which would you rather watch? This one OR THIS ONE! (make sure this image resizes to full resolution)

Quote:

I don't know what Apple users are able to do with that little bitty embedded player as far as sizing but you can't do diddly to it with a PC.

I guess what I needed to say was that you can't do anything with the player size using a PC while it's in that proprietary window on that page before downloading it.

Adam Bray February 22nd, 2006 12:11 AM

Quote:

I guess that wasn't clear. When I clicked on the video links, it opened a small 3 inche player window that I couldn't resize. The other was a bit larger at 4-5 inches but still smaller than I like. It may be different for Apples, as far as player controls, but I can't stand viewing small video screens, especially with a broadband connection. So, after they downloaded, I copied the video files from the TI files, where they were now independent files, to another directory. This allowed me to open them in a stand alone player and control the size of it. I was then able to view the video at near full screen on a 15" monitor. I don't know how or if that works on Apples but that's what you can do on a PC with any files that download.

Ah, I see now.