DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   The Lovemakers music video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/65033-lovemakers-music-video.html)

CJ Roy April 13th, 2006 06:54 PM

The Lovemakers music video

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share The Lovemakers music video "Shake That Ass" that we shot with the HVX200.

Specs: Edited FCP 5, filmed with Letus35 on 2/3 of the shots.

Hope you enjoy.

http://www.thelovemakers.com/av.html

-CJ Roy

Pete Tews April 13th, 2006 09:30 PM

Looks great!

What lens was used with the Letus35?

CJ Roy April 14th, 2006 02:46 AM

Hi Pete,

We used the Nikon 50mm, 85mm & 105mm.

Thanks.

-CJ Roy

Mike Benton April 14th, 2006 02:30 PM

I REALLY liked that. The quality of the video and lighting was fantastic. Was it shot in HD? Also, are you happy with the Letus35, I've been thinking about getting one.

Pete Tews April 14th, 2006 10:31 PM

Seeing stuff like this video assures me that the HVX200 will be right for the stuff I want to do.

CJ Roy April 14th, 2006 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Benton
I REALLY liked that. The quality of the video and lighting was fantastic. Was it shot in HD? Also, are you happy with the Letus35, I've been thinking about getting one.

Hi Mike, thanks for watching the video. Glad you dug it. For the record, I only worked on the video as camera operator and editor. The director was Samuel V Yem and the DP was Anthony Kwan. And yes, it was shot in 720p HD.

Almost everything, EXCEPT for the stage footage, was with the Letus35. I had bought it out of spite of waiting for the G35, but I have not been pleased with it. It is not sharp edge to edge and for any narrative use I would avoid it. It also loses more light than I would like and you have to tape your lenses onto it, otherwise there's potential for them to fall off. I already lost a 20mm 1.8 Sigma to it. Also, one last gripe, I can see the ground glass vibrating in HD. However, if it can fit into your work conceptually and be part of the work aesthetically, I think it's a great tool. The director wanted a vignette type of look, so I felt that the Letus35 would really help his vision. For the shots that did not use the Letus35, we blurred and softened the edges in post to try and emulate that look. So in short, I think it can work as long as your piece allows for it.

Thanks again for watching.

-CJ Roy

CJ Roy April 14th, 2006 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Tews
Seeing stuff like this video assures me that the HVX200 will be right for the stuff I want to do.

Hey Pete,

I hope whichever camera you choose, works for the type of work you want it to do. For me, I am not happy with the HVX200. If it wasn't for the variable frame rates, we wouldn't have used it. (B-roll looks so much better in slow-mo) The P2 workflow is also great and I'm happily in love with that aspect, but the low-res and noise/macroblocking in HD is just difficult to work with. I've worked with DVCPRO50/HD before and it holds up far better in post. The footage from this camera just falls apart when you color correct. Fortunately everything looks better when you downconvert to SD and look at it on a CRT. I'd be nervous about handing an HD version of this to Interscope.

In short, I think it's a decent SD camera when you acquire in HD, downconvert and crush the blacks or only shoot in broad daylight, which I rarely ever have to do. Nightime exteriors are going to make me VERY frustrated with the HVX.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks again for watching.

-CJ Roy

Mike Benton April 15th, 2006 12:09 AM

Thanks for all the info, CJ Roy.

Robert Kirkpatrick April 15th, 2006 02:04 PM

That video kicked ass. It did exactly what music videos are supposed to do: capture the feel of the song, and make you intrigued to learn more about the artist. It certainly helps that the song is so damn contagious.

CJ Roy April 15th, 2006 04:37 PM

Thanks for the kind comments. Glad you've enjoyed it.

Just out of curiosity, can someone tell me why this thread was moved to this DV for masses forum? Again, this was shot on 720p HD with the HVX, not DV. There's a lot of HVX footage in the HVX forum, but only this thread was moved.

Just curious. Thanks.

-CJ Roy

Barry Jenkins April 16th, 2006 08:59 PM

Funny, I just moved to the Bay Area and a friend has been telling me I need to check out this band ;)

Adam Bray April 20th, 2006 07:40 AM

I liked it. It all looked good. Even though the music is not my style, the song is reall catchy for some reason. The slo-mo of two cuties making out don't hurt either. I really liked that last sequence where the doors open up to the crowd. Reminds me of a scene from Blade or something. Cool.

Eniola Akintoye April 20th, 2006 04:52 PM

CJ,
Everything looks sharp to me.
If you have not had said anything about the odd things you experienced during the shoot, but regardless, the video is a killer.
The slow mo .. woooooooooooow a** kicking.

How did you do the slow mo dude?

Jay Kavi April 24th, 2006 06:20 PM

GREAT VIDEO CJ! I really like the lovemakers so I'm already into the song. I think you guys really captured what the band's about, and its so good to see some images and sounds from the Bay Area on here!