DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   NIce clip shot with mi ex-Canon XL1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/7570-nice-clip-shot-mi-ex-canon-xl1.html)

Robert Poulton March 15th, 2003 04:31 PM

Hey thanks Miguel I have really enjoyed the process you have taken. I always enjoy seening unique approaches using DV. Good luck with your future camera. Just sounds like a week is along time to wait for a camera. lol

Rob:D

John Steele March 19th, 2003 03:48 AM

Miguel, what was the song that was used in your clip?

John.

Trey Perrone March 19th, 2003 02:12 PM

Sigur Rós - () - 04 - (njósnavélin)

Hilary Cam March 23rd, 2003 07:29 AM

Hey,

Wow! Well done!... I just made my first attempt at something half decent last night, which I posted for download on this forum, but I wish I hadn't after seeing this very professional peice. VERY NICE WORK.

Miguel, a little help please... I'm very new to the world of DV, but with my humble Canon XM2 (PAL's GL2) I simply can not get quality images like that when output to avi/computer. I know its nothing to do with the compression, is it simply because you record with proper lighting? Or is there some software (importing or rendering) that also plays apart in producing such refined crystal clear shots. My shots appear pixelated around the edges, why is this, I know its not the camera.

Do you recommend slightly over-exposing during a shoot that you know will be viewed on computer, to counter-act the darkness of computer monitors over TV??

Would you recommend Vegas Video over Adobe Premiere 6.5 ?

Thanks,
Keep up the excellent work.

Zac Stein March 23rd, 2003 09:48 PM

I would def rec Vegas over Premiere, the new addition of Vegas Video 4 is far superior to Premiere 6.5.

Zac

Ps. i'll let others chime in on their opinions, but i think most would agree.

Trey Perrone March 24th, 2003 02:42 AM

First of all, Hil i enjoyed your vid, the sky looked awesome! i was rather dissappointed that it was so short ;- ( please share more when you can! what did you use flash for in the vid? just the titling?

on to Vegas...
I've just started using Vegas 4...and so far i definately would say it is easier to pick up on than premiere. Alas, I've gotten so used to premiere that i want to just go back to it, but i feel like Vegas 4 will be worth it once i get it down pat. On the plus side, Vegas is much much easier to manipulate titles, and some of the effects can only be found in AE if you were to stick to an adobe platform. For the money, you get quite a bit of product. The winmorph tool is really cool and free for download. the same fellow who did that created another plugin that makes it look like glass breaking that im excitedly gettin ready to use in a project im working on now. Get the demo and test it out, its definately worth the time. also if you shoot in 16.9 with your canon, vegas can automatically recognize this (adobe is a pain, at least the way ive learned to do it).

Hilary Cam March 24th, 2003 03:04 AM

Trey Thanks,

Yes Flash MX for the titles. Flash can be quite good for that type of thing.

I did myself a major favour today and downloaded the demo of Vegas 4.0

What can I say, I don't ever want to load Premiere again. This thing is amazing. You can tell this has been built from the ground up for sturdy windows usage unlike premiere which crashes compulsively.

It is sooo simple to use (not that premiere was hard, but at least this has clear menus and controls, and doesn't freeze like premiere) FAST, and the quality is superior, the video preview window is excellent quality/colour/contrast and puts Adobe Premiere's to shame. It also has nifty features like recognising where new sequences start in DV captured footage, handy custom templates for rendering work (AND HOW FAST IS THE RENDERING...WOW), within 2minutes I was hooked.

Goodbye Premiere... :)

Zac Stein March 24th, 2003 09:16 AM

Hilary,

One thing to consider when working with video is that is a fixed resolution medium, hence there is no advantage in using vector based imagery.

I study this atm, i am currently doing my masters in multimedia/design, and we do a lot of video work, if you want to do titles that are more managable like you did, and also far more detailed, we tend to work in photoshop and After Effects.

The reasons for this is very simple, if you are working pal, then it is 720x576 which the appropriate pixel ratios (nothing else), Photoshop offers the absolute most flexible option when working with rastor imagery, there is nothing that matches Photoshop in what it does.

Flash is a lovely tool, but you have such freedom with video now, explore it, make some far more detailed pictures, you can, you are not worried about resolutions anymore.

And have fun.

Zac

Kevin Boucher April 18th, 2003 07:00 PM

Dear Miguel,
this clip is just great :) Quick question: did you use any accessories with the xl1 for this footage? ( ie lenses, etc... is it the stock 16x lens? )

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

P.S.- It's always fun to look at your clips, keep'em coming! :)

Miguel Lopez April 18th, 2003 07:06 PM

Nothing but the standar XL1 and the standard lense. A dolly also helps! ;-D

Guest November 16th, 2003 09:40 PM

nice one

My first post here. Have been cruising the boards for a while just learning. I have to say this is the best footage i've seen all night, and frankly, quite inspiring. Is it just me, or did they use that song in vanilla sky also?

Keep it up!

AJ Briones November 23rd, 2003 01:05 PM

how did you get this speed setting on xl1?

Hi there,

I've only had my XL1 for a few weeks, and I love the results you got. I've been looking all over the manual but I don't know how you set your camera speed. Sorry to ask, but can you please walk me through it? I can't seem to get that speed setting on my XL1.

Thanks!