New Computer system for Editing - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old October 7th, 2019, 04:09 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Re: New Computer system for Editing

Hi Alan,

I'm not sure it's going to be cheaper, I've sourced an ex-data centre RAID Controller, retail is £379, I bought this one for £90, and the SAS/SATA Leads are £3.50 each (each serves four drives) off eBay.

Yes I've looked at PCIE3.0, and the more expensive motherboard offerings that support M2 Cards and such, but in practical terms as a dedicated NLE Machine for mostly 1080P, this machine would also serve 12x 4k video streams at the same time without breaking a sweat.

I never buy the latest CPU models, always the fastest of the last generation CPU Models, and always AMD, as the price of Intel is ridiculous for Desktop, Rackmount, or Server Applications. AMD is currently leading in the performance stakes with its Ryzen Generation, but I'll wait, we're currently Live Streaming and Recording 1080P or less, but perhaps when 5G is generally available we'll start an upgrade process to 4k, and I'll revisit the post production rackmount. I forgot to mention this machine is being built inside a Server 4U Rackmount Case, alongside the other 4U Case housing the other Video Editing Machine (plus all the legacy video equipment is on 19" telescopic trays in the same Cabinet, which is 6ft 6ins Tall with 6x 120mm Industrial Grade Exhaust Fans on a Thermostat, and the room is air conditioned and kept to the Server recommended 22 Celsius, as I've got a second Cabinet the same, which I'm filling with Data Recovery machines, and Weather Satellite decryption and processing machines. Indeed I'm thinking I need a third Cabinet for other applications, but no servers yet, I use stand alone NAS Servers running Linux Firmware.

For Live Streaming I use a Dell Latitude E6540 i5 running at 2.7GHz with 16GB and a SanDisk Ultra 3D SSD, I take three feeds into OBS, these are Live Subtitles (Closed Captions), Live BSL Interpreter, and the actual Live Video (from up to 16 sources of 1080P), using Live Editing of Sport. On top of this are Screen Logos and I'm going to be running a Scoreboard as well, depending on the Sport.

The Dell is quick enough for this, and records the stream at the same time on a separate 7200rpm HDD.

I've built computers from scratch since 1997, self taught, and have built or upgraded a few for local businesses (not my usual interest), Charities, Clubs, and Individuals, I'm CCNA Trained, and a Full Licence Radio Amateur, and ex-Royal Signals, there's few things I can't turn my hand to (welding I'd love to be able to do), I started recording my son playing rugby in 2005, provided Media Support to three Rugby Clubs, then a National England Squad for 10 years, progressing from DVD Recordings to Live Streaming Internationals, and covered a World Deaf Rugby 7's Tournament in Sydney providing every game Live in 720p on a HP i3 2GHz Laptop.

We're now building a Mobile Studio in a second-hand van, hence the upgraded Dell.

Wish me luck!!!
Wayne Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2019, 08:16 PM   #32
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Faulkner View Post
We're now building a Mobile Studio in a second-hand van, hence the upgraded Dell.
I'm sure I'm speaking for many others here by asking you to *please* keep us updated on this project, hopefully with a dedicated discussion thread for it and plenty of photos please! Would love to see what you do with this.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2019, 10:20 AM   #33
Trustee

+1 on what Chris said. I would love to see it. Around 15 to 20 years ago this board was a thriving resource for those of us that almost had to build their own systems if you wanted a capable NLE. Turnkey systems were rare and ultra expensive. I was one of many who counted on the solid advise I got here at DVINFO on how to build from scratch or buy a CPU and turn it into a NLE.

Your van idea took me back to when DIY was common for lots of things not yet within the price range of us small breakout production companies. Converting a van to a mobile production truck was always on my wish list but it never happened. Instead I ended up needing to focus on Fly-a-way kits.

Around 2003 I bought a newly released Sony switcher hyped as "A broadcast truck in a box" Not quite true and I could have bought a van for the $20,000.00 I paid for it. But it served me well for many years when firewire was king.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/372130-REG/Sony_AWSG500_AWS_G500_Anycast_Station_Live.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801

Good luck with the van. I would love to see it!

Kind Regards,

Steve

Last edited by Steven Digges; October 13th, 2019 at 10:22 AM. Reason: SP
Steven Digges is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC