Does the Zoom F8 have higher pre-amplification than the FR2-LE? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 15th, 2019, 05:47 PM   #1
also known as Ryan Wray

Does the Zoom F8 have higher pre-amplification than the FR2-LE?

I've been using my Fostex FR2-LE recorder for years now, but I recently rented a Zoom F8 cause of the multichannel feature.

I notice that with the F8, you only have to turn the level dial up about half way, maybe a little more, and that's enough to get a good level for normal voice dialogue. But with the FR2-LE, you have turn the level dial almost all the way up just to get a good level for dialogue, in comparison.

So that makes me wonder, maybe the FR2-LE just has low pre-amp power in comparison to the F8. Does anyone know?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2019, 09:42 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Does the Zoom F8 have higher pre-amplification than the FR2-LE?

I do not have the specs for FR2. Many preamps only have a max available input gain of around +50 dB. By comparison, Zoom states the F8's available input gain as +75 dB. Take a look at the FR2 mic input specs and that should explain it..
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2019, 06:38 PM   #3
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, well I thought that zoom you only have to turn up about two thirds as high, so that explains it I guess. Is it worth getting the Zoom F8 though, to record more quiet sounds?
Old October 17th, 2019, 01:33 AM   #4
Inner Circle

What happens when you turn the gain up? the position of the knob is irrelevant if it does what you want. Does it have enough gain to capture quieter sounds, or use lower output mics without the noise floor being a problem? Preamps with too much gain can mean that when presented with loud sound you need to work right near the bottom - just as much a problem, meaning you need mic pads engaged. Is the FRE-2 noisy? I don't have one, but not seen any complaints about it's noise performance. Are you getting hiss on your distant mic work?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2019, 07:02 AM   #5
also known as Ryan Wray

No I'm not getting hiss but I was told that turning the knob up all the way almost, is not good for the mic, if that's true.
Old October 17th, 2019, 10:08 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Elder View Post
Is it worth getting the Zoom F8 though, to record more quiet sounds?
I have never used an FR2, but most folks seem to like it. A pre-owned Sound Devices mixer or preamp front-end would help if the FR2 lacks the gain or is noisy when recording low SPL sound sources.

There is also the Zoom F4 and the new 32 bit F6 if you do not need a lot of ISO tracks. Then there's the Sound Devices MixPre recorders. The 2cd generation of which was just released.
Old October 17th, 2019, 06:56 PM   #7
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay. Well it's just if you want to record things like a whisper, that can be hard to pick up, if you are trying to keep the mic out of frame, so I thought that maybe something with a higer db level, like the F8 might be better for things like that, if it would be.

However, it has eight pre-amp ports if I remember correct, and that is why it's a lot more money, as I don't think I would ever need that many. So maybe something with just as good of pre-amps, but only a couple of ports, would be better.
Old October 17th, 2019, 07:26 PM   #8
Inner Circle

That’s more of a question about the best way to record quiet dialogue. If the dialogue is too quiet and mic is too far away, raising the mixer gain really high will also increase the background and mic noise where it will stick out and not sound good.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2019, 08:01 PM   #9
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, so if the F8 has an extra 25 db, it can still bring up noise at that high then?
Old October 18th, 2019, 12:30 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
...However, it has eight pre-amp ports if I remember correct, and that is why it's a lot more money, as I don't think I would ever need that many. So maybe something with just as good of pre-amps, but only a couple of ports, would be better.
The Zoom f4 has 4 preamps identical to the f8. It’s a great little recorder.
Quote:
Oh okay, so if the F8 has an extra 25 db, it can still bring up noise at that high then?
2 kinds of noise:
Self noise in the electronics.
Ambient/acoustic noise in the recording environment.

Better recorders will reduce or effectively eliminate self noise.

The best help for noisy environments is close micing. Better mics help a little, but, the best mic in the wrong place is much worse than a decent mic in the right spot. Which recorder you’re using makes little difference in noisy environments. That 25db extra comes in handy for low output mics on quiet sources.
Old October 18th, 2019, 01:59 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I don't know the recorder, but I assume you can set the gain for various mics and if you've got the knob up full it usually means your using the wrong settings. I would dig into the manual to find out the options, there appears to be possible menu settings on P72 of the manual.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2019, 07:12 AM   #12
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh well the manual just says to turn up the levels so they are high enough, it doesn't list any catches as to why you have to turn it up almost all the way, to get it high enough though.
Old October 18th, 2019, 07:40 AM   #13
Inner Circle

I suspect you need to go into the menu and adjust the levels. so there is more involved than just turning the knobs if your microphone gives a lower output level. The traditional method would involve turning a level gain selector with a screwdriver, these days you use a menu.

The mic trim apparently is on P60 of the FR2-LE manual, the above one is my mistake that's the F8 manual

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; October 18th, 2019 at 04:34 PM.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2019, 09:37 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Again, I'm not familiar with FR2, but most mixers, recorders and cams, have a gain/trim level adjust (or at least switches) aside from the record volume adj.)
Nothing though is a substitute for close mic placement. Record multiple tracks, a boom and a lav. which is standard procedure anyway for most audio folks.
Old October 19th, 2019, 03:33 AM   #15
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay. Actually there is only one level knob on the F8, where as on the FR2-LE, there are two, the gain and the fader. Could this be why you have to turn it up more, cause you are turning them up separately, where as perhaps on the F8, both the gain and fader are in the same knob, so you don't have to turn it up as high therefore, cause it adds both simultaneously?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio