Is this a scam? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old July 20th, 2021, 08:04 AM   #1
Major Player

Is this a scam?

I have been repeatedly contacted by an Asian company to license my footage, paying royalties or to buy all I have for $50,000. I have repeatedly told them I wasn't interested, but they persist. Their approach seems very professional.

The whole approach appears just too intense for what I have to give them, and the final offer is really over the top. The old adage "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is." seems to apply here. Is anyone aware of some sort of scam out there like this?
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2021, 02:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Is this a scam?

It wouldn't hurt to make some preliminary contact. It will soon become clear.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2021, 03:21 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I hate stuff like this. My gut tells me 99.9% chance it's a scam, but nothing would make me happier if I was wrong.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2021, 04:41 PM   #4
Vortex Media

What do they mean by "all you have." How would they have seen all of your footage? Is it posted somewhere so they can see it? If there is no way they could know the subject matter, the quantity, or the quality of "all you have", how could it not be a scam? Nobody legitimate is going to offer you a $50K figure sight unseen.

On the other hand, I have a portfolio of 10,000 clips at Shutterstock that would be easy for someone to surf through and see what I have and then to make an offer. So that would make it trickier to sniff out a scam if they approached me. Do you have a portfolio posted somewhere that they can see? If not, it is surely a scam. And even if you do, it is probably still a 99% chance that it is a scam.
Old July 21st, 2021, 10:38 AM   #5
Major Player

Yeah, might help to include what the videos are (Youtube DIY, Stock video, Original Content) and how they found you (Youtube, Shutterstock etc).

$50k is a good amount of money imho, also what would they 'scam' part be, you dropbox them the videos and they never pay you? Couldn't you still retain ownership to license it since the contract is voided?
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2021, 03:30 PM   #6
Equal Opportunity Offender

Contracty stuff is one thing, enforcement is another.

I wouldn't touch it. Steve is correct to be suspicious.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2021, 05:26 PM   #7
Major Player

Yeah, I guess I forgot to include 'Yes, it does sound like a scam'. Unless you think there could be 'some' good value to the videos, but maybe they're overpaying. (For instance, you run a youtube channel that brings in $1000/year but is growing, and they're willing to buy the videos & account outright, or something like that).

Otherwise tho if its completely out of left field I'm not sure I would bother.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2021, 08:32 AM   #8
Major Player

Thank you all for your comments. The general opinion is that this is a scam. The only fly in the ointment is that I do have over 200 videos on Vimeo, and an active YouTube account, so they could easily have seen my stuff.

They seem to be a legitimate company, in business for less than a year, that wants lots of footage so they can do whatever high-tech manipulations they do, but I don't think my footage is worth $50,000! Another red flag is that the correspondent's English seems to be less fluent in the latest e-mail than in previous ones, all under the same name. Maybe more than one person is using the name.

I will report what happens next, as this could be a learning experience. I am really suspicious.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2021, 09:37 AM   #9
Equal Opportunity Offender

Why not make a doco out of it? More footage to sell. :-)

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2021, 12:29 PM   #10
Supports LPFM Radio

Probably a scam. Perhaps a fake-check scam where they "accidentally" send you a check for more money than agreed upon and ask you to refund the difference. Or not.

But how did they find you? Do you have a known reputation for a particular type of footage? If if feels weird, it probably is weird.

Some info from the US Federal Trade Commission (and poke around their site for more info on various scams):

Scam Tag: Fake Check Scams
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/taxonomy/term/856

Good luck!
Jim Feeley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business