Advice about an extension cable for microphone of my camera - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 7th, 2021, 02:43 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Advice about an extension cable for microphone of my camera

I have this cable connected to my mic.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/clt948li52...iato2.jpg?dl=0
I don't know the reason, but this cable doesn't work with my laptop Zenbook.
I'm not an expert and maybe I have to configure something.
I don't know it. I did some tests but it doen't work.
Old April 7th, 2021, 07:22 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
I have this cable connected to my mic.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/clt948li52...iato2.jpg?dl=0
I don't know the reason, but this cable doesn't work with my laptop Zenbook.
I'm not an expert and maybe I have to configure something.
I don't know it. I did some tests but it doen't work.
Like I said before most mics that aren't usb won't work plugged into a computer. You need a pre amp interface or you plug the mic into a camera and then import the video to your computer. The most standard way to record interviews is to get a wireless mic system for your camera.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2021, 08:48 PM   #18
Trustee

This is a complex question that is not simply a matter of what kind of connector or cable.

1) Most of those 3.5mm TRS extension cables are made for headphones/earbuds, NOT for microphones. The reason that is important is that headphones/earbuds use relatively high-level signals that do NOT require shielding. So most of those cables are NOT shielded. But microphones require shielded cables because of their very low signal levels. If you can find a 3.5mm TRS extension cable that claims to be SHIELDED, then that is the one to use for your microphone. (British English "screened" = shielded)

2) Microphones with 3.5mm TRS plugs come in several varieties and are wired differently. So, they will not just work properly with any random 3.5mm TRS destination gear.
a) A microphone made to use with a computer has the mic connected to the Tip, and the power for the microphone connected to the Ring. And the Shield/screen/ground is connected to the Sleeve. For more technical details, see: https://www.hobby-hour.com/electroni...microphone.php
b) The microphone input on virtually all consumer camcorders is wired for a stereo microphone with the Left mic on the Tip, and the Right microphone on the Ring.
So, if you plug "computer mic" into a typical camcorder, you will likely get sound recorded only on the Left channel.

So, you can confirm how your (unidentified) microphone works with your (unidentified) camera by simply plugging it in and trying it. It probably won't damage anything to do this test. If you get sound only on the Left channel of the recorded video, then you are probably using a mic designed for a computer.

Then, after you are satisfied that the microphone works with your camcorder directly plugged in, you can try a mystery cable like that "SUCESO". It does not mention anywhere that it is shielded, and long experience with such products suggests that it is NOT shielded. If it were shielded, then the marketing wanks would certainly tout it as a major feature, even if it is not important for headphones/earbuds.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2021, 12:19 PM   #19
Major Player

Interesting reply. Please, could you suggest a preciseSuceso cable for a mic?
I thank you again.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 02:26 PM   #20
Inner Circle

There will me ready made ones available in Italy - you just need a 3 circuit (not the 4 in the link) that uses screened cable. Or you find somebody who can solder and get them to make one - it really is not complicated for anyone who can solder and the parts are quite cheap.

Searching for trs 3.5mm screened male female brings back many. Some are screened - some of course don't appear to be. 3 circuit TRS is the vital feature with screened cable - some headphones ones use screened cable - they will be fine too.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2021, 12:59 AM   #22
Inner Circle

No. The Italian Amazon link doesn’t work but one is an adapter from 4 to 3 you do not want an adapter you want a three circuit screened 3.5mm TRS cable. You have no idea how adaptors are wired.

Just get a cable a male 3.5mm trs to female. We cannot make this any simpler than this. NO adaptors.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2021, 09:49 PM   #23
Trustee

Other people have given you a lot of theory which is mostly correct, but you obviously don't understand electronic theory (if you did, you wouldn't be asking this question). Don't try.

Rick's post #22 is exactly right. If you get an adapter like that, and plug your camera mic into the jack with the mic picture, it should work. If not, then either (a.) your computer can not record from a microphone, (b.) your camera microphone is *not* standard, or (c.) your computer's sound settings are incorrect {I can't help you, I know nothing about Zenbooks; read the manual}.

With a normal camera mic and proper computer setup, the following should be everything you need, in five simple steps. These simple steps should require *no* technical comprehension.

1.) Look at the your mic plug. It has three metal sections (separated by two plastic insulators). Three-section plug is called "TRS" (three metal sections, so the name has three letters).

2.) Look at the plug on the adapter photo (sent by Rick). It has four metal sections (separated by three plastic insulators). Four-section plug is called "TRRS" (four metal sections :: four letters).

3.) Since your mic has a three-section TRS plug, you need an extension cable with three-section TRS plug, **AND** it specifically says it will work with a microphone. That should work for you.

But if it does not specifically say "microphone" then it might produce a lot of hum and noise.

So you must get a three-section TRS extension cable that does say "microphone."

4.) If your computer has only a single jack for mic and headphone, it almost certainly uses a four-section TRRS connector. It WILL NOT work directly with your camera mic. You need an adapter cable like the picture posted by Rick.

In that case, plug your mic into a three-section TRS extension. Plug the TRS extension into the adapter cable, use the jack with a picture of a mic on it. Plug the adapter cable's four-section plug into your laptop.

5.) I am assumting that your camera mic is wired like almost all of them. There is a small chance it is different. If it is different, then (4a.) will not work and you are out of luck using this mic with this computer.

6.) That's everything you need to know. The technical aspects would take a while to explain, which might confuse you. You don't need to know the technical details. The above (1.) through (5.) are everything you need.

I can't make it any simpler than that. If you are still confused, find an audio dealer you trust, explain what you want to do. Amazon has no technical knowledge whatsoever. They are a bulk seller of everything from salad dressing to suppositories ... they know NOTHING about electronics. Go to a real electronics dealer.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio