DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Silicon Imaging SI-2K (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-imaging-si-2k/)
-   -   Recommended Workflow for AVID (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-imaging-si-2k/378523-recommended-workflow-avid.html)

Bob Hart September 9th, 2009 10:45 AM

Recommended Workflow for AVID

When it comes to AVID I am a total retard.

Does anyone have recommendations on a workflow for SI2K origination to be imported into AVID systems. I understand it requires a conversion from CFHD files.

Kaspar Kallas September 10th, 2009 07:31 AM

Hi

Do you want offline in avid or....?
I could help with the offline procedure as we have done FCP and SpeedGrade online for quite many projects this way.

-Kaspar

Bob Hart September 10th, 2009 10:34 PM

Kaspar.

Thank you for your response and advice.

We are offering the SI2K's for a local movie project which is also considering RED, Panavision Genesis and 35mm motion picture film, maybe even shooting more than one format.

During our discussions the director mentioned AVID so I wanted to be aware of what needed to be done to get SI2K files into an AVID workflow, such as which to use? .avi or .mov files for conversion to AVID files. (DnxHD I hink).

I don't know if they will offline the edit or want to take in the actual footage. They may yet do it in FCP. Is Speedgrade available for Macs now?

Kaspar Kallas September 10th, 2009 11:19 PM

Hi

This seems like the position for You to ask in what format do the expect the footage from you. Avid has an ingest program that "SHOULD" be compatible with cineform IF you have CF codec installed (http://techblog.cineform.com/?p=1445).
Try NOT to give advice how to do this, because they should have somebody taking care of technical side of this - because the formats you mentioned CF is de-Facto easiest to get into avid. But if You start giving advice it will be Your fault if something does not work as expected.

Hope this helps You to avid some pit-holes I have been stumbling on ;)
-Kaspar

Bob Hart September 11th, 2009 01:14 AM

Kaspar.

Thanks for that word of caution about the pitfalls, very much appreciated.

Where we are in Western Australia, the SI2K is a new adventure. Potential clients are mostly underfunded or we are doing our own pre-production promotional trailers for our own projects to attract investors.

The dilemma is giving enough people the pleasing result in order to build some credibility for the SI2K system but not take over their responsibiity for archiving and post-production resources.

The SI2K has taken off over East but people are still only gnawing at the edges here and still dancing with the RED One.

I will look up that link. Thanks again.

Bob Hart May 16th, 2010 09:41 AM

Anyone have any new advice?

Thanks all for your assistance in this and the timecode thread.

Does anyone have any info to add that has come along since this thread went to sleep?

I assume from cineform's techblog things have not changed relating to timecode not travelling in the conversion to an AVID-usable video file.

Things have not changed related to sending timecode into the camera recorder unit via USB.

Alex Raskin May 16th, 2010 09:16 PM

Bob, just a thought - why not download Avid demo for free and see for yourself.

Also I understand that Avid has student program that sells the same Avid NLE for some ridiculously low price, I think below $300 for students. Might be worth checking into that also if you have a fellow student who could order it.

Bob Hart May 16th, 2010 11:40 PM

Alex.

Thanks for that. I tried Avid free in the DV days. Now it might not be an option because of the horsepower/available budget issue.

I'm still running a 3Ghz PC with XP Pro, and Premiere Pro 2 on it and it battles a bit these days. Actually gone down for the count after kieve.exe got it. The original install of verything was fine. As long as did not apply looks and effects, I could run two vid tracks and more audio ttracks.

The two new clean installs on new drives have been as slow as a wet week. So it may be time to upgrade when I can afford it.

I shall have to hunt down a student.

Peter Moretti May 18th, 2010 01:03 AM

Bob, version 5 of MC, due out in June, should be able to read Cineform files w/o any transcoding. You may have to apply some kind of a LUT, but I believe that can be done in Cineform's First Light program.

Bob Hart May 18th, 2010 05:15 AM

Peter.

Thanks for that. I'll pass the info on. Do you know if the new MC will pull in the SI2K camera timecode numbers?

Peter Moretti May 18th, 2010 07:57 PM

Bob, I would think so but I don't know for sure. Another option is to transcode using MetaFuze (a free Avid app).

Here is a link to the area on the Avid forum where I think you'll get the most informed responses:
MetaFuze Forum - Avid Video Community

Bob Hart May 19th, 2010 09:05 AM

Peter.

Thanks for the added info. More grist for the mill and I will pass it on.