DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Silicon Imaging SI-2K (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-imaging-si-2k/)
-   -   Image stabilization (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-imaging-si-2k/73857-image-stabilization.html)

Mark Donnell August 18th, 2006 12:48 PM

Image stabilization

Question for the SI-1920 crew - for field use image stabilization is a very useful feature. One of the better HD prosumer lenses with image stabilization would seem to be the Canon XL HD 16x lens. Any chance of having an adaptor on the SI mini to accept Canon HD lenses ? I believe that Nikon makes several VR AF telephoto lenses which use a similar image stabilization method. Would these fit the mini ?

Jason Rodriguez August 21st, 2006 07:57 AM

Unfortunetly those lenses won't work . . . the Nikon could work with a 35mm ground-glass converter, but you'd have to figure out some way to activate the image stabilization if it needs to be electronically activated from the camera (i.e., if it's not a button on the lens).

Scott Auerbach August 28th, 2006 09:03 PM

On a different tack regarding stabilization, I'm a Flyer owner. The couple of photos on the website don't really make it clear whether the Noga arm will allow repositioning of your LCD to a Steadicam-friendly location (along the rig's central axis, usually below the camera, so we can watch both the monitor and where we're about to step).

The Flyer won't handle the full camera's weight, but it will accept the "mini" head configuration, assuming you get very flexible Ethernet cable, and dress the cable very carefully.

The photo of the full camera on a larger rig shows the op using the camera's LCD... but he's boomed up, out and quite a bit to the right. Normal Steadicam operating position would place the LCD so far to the left that the operator wouldn't be able to see it unless he's working 'goofy-foot' (i.e., camera on the op's right side, not his left), which many of us don't do well.

And I can't tell whether the mini/head has any video-out spigots to feed a built-in Steadicam monitor instead of the LCD touch-screen. Or maybe a longer cable to the touchscreen, allowing it to be mounted in place of the standard Steadicam monitor? That would be GREAT. It'd just need a 1/4-20 thread on the bottom.

Incidentally, I'm assuming the LCD will come with the "Mini" outfit... it's not going to be a 'dumb' camera head with all the controls via the laptop, is it?

Jason, can you give us a little more info on those issues?

Jason Rodriguez August 29th, 2006 06:36 AM

Hi Scott,

You can wire up another monitor . . . it just has to be a monitor, doesn't have to be our touchscreen monitor, especially in a steadicam configuration. For that sort of config I would have an actual camera operator at the computer station doing all the on/off work, and just have the steadicam op fly the rig. With that sort of configuration, any monitor that gives you a picture will work.

Also the touchscreen will be part of a package with the Mini . . . there will be a number of different packages at different price points depending on what accessories you want, etc. There won't be huge price swings in package prices, but there will be extras you can tag on a la carte.

Scott Auerbach August 31st, 2006 04:53 PM

Jason
Thanks, as always, for the prompt replies.
I'm starting to salivate.