DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   X70 detail sharpening and resolution (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/526526-x70-detail-sharpening-resolution.html)

Paul Anderegg January 21st, 2015 03:19 AM

X70 detail sharpening and resolution

So we all agree, except for those that disagree, that the X70 and it's cousins are a bit soft stock. So I used t shoot in 720p60 because that is what my footage airs as, and had a really happy crispening/detail setting. I decided to shoot everything in 1080p60 and downres to 720, and my detail settings were reduced as the resolution decreased. Makes sense, but now I want to sharpen up a bit. Problem is, adding more detail increases all the Clear Image noise and grain excessively. I have found that Clear Image zoom cannot even properly resolve 720p resolution without a LOT of mosquitoing.

Sony, please consider an algorithm in a future firmware update that decreases sharpening/detail proportionally as the pixels are enlarged through the Clear Image zoom range. My method of establishing detail levels is to zoom to maximum Clear Image zoom telephoto at 33db gain, and adjust to a degree I feel no completely objectionable artifacts are visible.

Paul

Tom Grushka January 21st, 2015 06:02 PM

Re: X70 detail sharpening and resolution

Paul,

I almost wish I kept my XF100 now. I'm afraid of getting the X70, thinking I can live with these issues, like I did with the Canon 6D (didn't need all the advanced photo features of the 5D3) in spite of all the complaints about its moire and aliasing -- wow, was that a mistake.

Have you used any other cameras in the $2-3K (new or used) price range for news shooting that you like better than the X70, or that have quirks that are more tolerable?

Paul Anderegg January 21st, 2015 10:47 PM

This is my first ever $2-3k camera. I have always used broadcast cameras, and a couple of smaller x920 and CX900 camcorders. I find this to be a great get for the cash value piece of gear.

Paul

Tom Grushka January 21st, 2015 10:52 PM

So, is it reasonable to say that the problems of noise in the CIZ and the highlight problems are exacerbated in specific tough scenarios like the night shooting that you do, but would be less of a problem, even quite minor, in general field acquisition?

Thanks.

Paul Anderegg January 21st, 2015 10:58 PM

Yeah, like any camera, as you apply gain, you get noise. As you dig into Ci zoom, the detail enhancements around each pixel of noise will be visually magnified and amplified. Think the JFK head shot blow up to fill the screen in slow motion, and you have a slight idea of the effect of gain and Ci zoom in low light.

I look forward to shooting raw footage in 4K and seeing how an NLE zoom/crop works if I stay completely in optical zoom range. Maybe someone with an AX100 could tell us if it would be a meaningful alteration from using Ci zoom in HD?

Paul