DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   PXW-X70 shortage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/526959-pxw-x70-shortage.html)

Sauro Scroglieri February 20th, 2015 01:44 PM

PXW-X70 shortage

after weeks spent lurking forums, asking for detail and long mumbling I decided to buy the little monster and I want it now, here on my table but...it looks like Sony is not delivering units enough to fulfill the requests!
Pro sellers postpone arrivals from day to day, only few available on a sort of black market.
What about other countries (Europe and oversea)? Any idea? just high demand or is it due to the coming of some sort of MKII ? I wish I could attend to BVE in London next week, but I can't
Would forum pals going there check with Sony' people?
thanks for that
sauro

Chris Hurd February 20th, 2015 02:20 PM

Re: PXW-X70 shortage

Hi Sauro,

It is in stock at B&H in New York:

Sony PXW-X70 Professional XDCAM Compact Camcorder PXW-X70 at B&H

...and they do ship overseas to Italy. Hope this helps,

Sauro Scroglieri February 20th, 2015 02:56 PM

Grazie Chris,
I would buy it in Italy, you know, warranty, Sony Pro Program, etc ( for end users the positive part of "globalization" is still far away)
I'm just curious to know whether it's just a Sony' marketing underestimation or there is something else behind it (technical, of course!)

sauro

Andrew Stone February 23rd, 2015 01:26 AM

Sauro, there are generally a lot of camera announcements at NAB Trade Show that is happening in the second week of April. Sony is due to upgrade this camera to 4K or offer an upgrade board. There is a good chance if the 4K board is produced that they will include it in the revised X70. NAB is only 7 weeks away. No guarantees on what may happen, however, I thought I would mention this in case you weren't unaware of the usual tradition of updating camera lineups at NAB.

Noa Put February 23rd, 2015 01:58 AM

In Belgian stores it's also not in stock in the bigger online videostores. Maybe Sony has learend from Canon as their c100 also seems to be delivered in very small quantities to the stores because there also is no stock, that might give the impression it sells faster then they can make the camera :)

Sauro Scroglieri February 23rd, 2015 02:44 AM

Andrew, do you believe it will be a hardware upgrade <scared,scared>? I do hope it will be done by s/w like other camera (F5 cine alta)

Noa, good point: it might be a sort of "driven shortage" with all relevant risks. Pages and pages of this forum show that good alternative are available. I spent good part of my life as marketing mgr but I never had such a strong hart to take that kind of action! We'll see...

thanks for sharing your thought
sauro

Kyle Root February 23rd, 2015 02:40 PM

Sony Alpha rumors said today that Sony has a lot of new cameras to be released in the next couple months. Maybe there's some sort of new upgrade coming (maybe shipping with 4K firmware update installed etc)?

I know many are hoping for an a7s sensor in ENG package.