DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   x70 XAVC-L codec and Vegas Pro 13 news (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/527125-x70-xavc-l-codec-vegas-pro-13-news.html)

Paul Anderegg April 25th, 2015 11:30 PM

Re: x70 XAVC-L codec and Vegas Pro 13 news

Marc, the levels issue is one that presents itself only under BATCH transcode method. If you do one clip at a time, the levels will be the same as the original clip. :-)

PITA Sony!

Paul

Marc Salvatore April 26th, 2015 07:22 PM

Thanks for the info Paul. I ended up downloading the trial version of Catalyst Prepare which does not suffer from the levels issue when batch transcoding. Hopefully Sony will solve this issue soon.

Marc Salvatore April 27th, 2015 10:28 AM

I just had a chat with Sony Tech Support concerning the ongoing compatibility issues with Sony X70 and Vegas. They told me it's high priority but could not give me a fix date.

They suggested I use Catalyst Browse. I explained to them that Browse screws up the black levels on clips when batch converting. They did not know this but confirmed it once I sent them images.

Next they suggested I convert each clip one at a time to solve this issue since they have no idea when this will be fixed. I explained this is not practical and suggested they give me a copy of Catalyst Prepare which does not screw up levels until this is fixed. They declined.

So let me get this straight... I bought a Sony Camera and use Sony Editing Software but I have to either buy another Sony product I do not need as a workaround or switch to programs like Adobe CC, Edius etc. that actually work with files created by SONY?

I'm really disappointed with this company. They do not back up their products.

Ricky Sharp April 27th, 2015 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Salvatore (Post 1884712)
INext they suggested I convert each clip one at a time to solve this issue since they have no idea when this will be fixed. I explained this is not practical and suggested they give me a copy of Catalyst Prepare which does not screw up levels until this is fixed. They declined.

For me (Catalyst Browse on a Mac and working with XAVC-L from a PXW-X70), I get the levels issue no matter how I import (batch vs individual).

This weekend I ran through every permutation of imports using Browse, Prepare (trial) and EditReady (trial). Both Prepare and EditReady didn't have any levels issue.

As a software engineer, I can only guess at how messed up Sony's code base is. Both Browse and Prepare should share the same exact code base for features included in both (e.g. transcoding).

Marc Salvatore April 27th, 2015 11:28 AM

The tech person told me they added batch transcoding to Browse as a bandaid until XAVC-L support was added to other programs. Based on the history of Sony Vegas support and long lingering bugs I won't be holding my breath for a fix.