DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   Question about backing up to a Ninja 2 recorder. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/528707-question-about-backing-up-ninja-2-recorder.html)

Mark Goodsell June 9th, 2015 10:17 PM

Question about backing up to a Ninja 2 recorder.

Hey guys, I posted this on the Ninja forum, but maybe someone here can help since this is somewhat camera-specific:

1) I haven't received my new X70 yet (still enroute), and I'm considering a Ninja 2 recorder. I don't have one yet.
2) I plan to shoot most video at the highest HD bitrate, to internal SD cards during the day.
3) At night, if I would like to back up my files to a Ninja 2 recorder, would that work very well?
4) Would I just "play" the captured files? And if so, would the Ninja record them through HDMI at 4:2:2 10bit 50mb/sec?
5) In other words, would I be able to capture at the original HDMI output quality, or would the "play-back" HDMI output signal be more compressed?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Tom Grushka June 9th, 2015 11:19 PM

Re: Question about backing up to a Ninja 2 recorder.

Mark,

That method seems cumbersome and inefficient. Unless I'm missing something ... i.e. you want to avoid a laptop. Still, a bit overkill:
1. You'll be forced to transfer your footage in real time and tie up your camera while doing so. You will have to "babysit" as you play back each file to a separate recording on the Ninja.
2. Quality will degrade, even if the destination file is the same bit rate and depth. Any time you recompress video, there is a "generation" of loss, even if small.
3. This recorder is designed to record live. Why not just attach it to the X70 while filming and record directly on it, while recording to a "backup" internally on cards?

Instead, how about a device like this -- and much cheaper hard drives for it:
Sanho HyperDrive COLORSPACE UDMA2 Backup Storage SHDCSUDMA2000

Tom Grushka June 9th, 2015 11:26 PM

... Then again there might be faster models out there than the one I suggested. Here's the category:
Memory Card Back-up Devices | B&H Photo Video

Piotr Wozniacki June 10th, 2015 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Goodsell (Post 1888918)
Hey guys, I posted this on the Ninja forum, but maybe someone here can help since this is somewhat camera-specific:

1) I haven't received my new X70 yet (still enroute), and I'm considering a Ninja 2 recorder. I don't have one yet.
2) I plan to shoot most video at the highest HD bitrate, to internal SD cards during the day.
3) At night, if I would like to back up my files to a Ninja 2 recorder, would that work very well?
4) Would I just "play" the captured files? And if so, would the Ninja record them through HDMI at 4:2:2 10bit 50mb/sec?
5) In other words, would I be able to capture at the original HDMI output quality, or would the "play-back" HDMI output signal be more compressed?

Thanks in advance for your help,

I can sell my barely used nanoFlash, complete with power and SDI cable, plus 2x 32GB plus 2x 64GB CF cards good for up to 220 Mbps. Please PM me.

Mark Goodsell June 10th, 2015 08:14 AM

Ok, that's good feedback. Thanks. I guess I should have considered that.

The idea of backing up the files (at night) rather than using the recorder during the day, is that during much of the time, it'll be on-the-go shooting, and may toggle between different cams. Having a light and inconspicuious hand-held rig would be most desirable.

I was thinking of a Ninja 2 for the larger storage gathering capability. Now I need to re-think things a little.

Thanks guys for the thoughtful replies