DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   X70 external battery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/533551-x70-external-battery.html)

Dan Gunn February 7th, 2017 09:17 AM

X70 external battery

I have modified an old shoulder bracket for my X70. Now the bracket has a V mount on it to accommodate my BIG old Sony batteries. I wanted the extra weight behind my shoulder for ballast.

This battery will run my Zlight, Small HD monitor and the X70.

Has anyone seen a dummy battery or a power adapter for the X70?

Donald McPherson February 7th, 2017 10:38 AM

Re: X70 external battery

Do you need a dummy battery? I would just plug it into the charging point as though were charging camera.

Dan Gunn February 7th, 2017 12:56 PM

"Do you need a dummy battery? I would just plug it into the charging point as though were charging the
battery"

That is why I need an adapter/power cable or a dummy. I do have a power supply but the cable can not be removed.

Donald McPherson February 8th, 2017 12:44 AM

Take battery out and plug the charger in. Does it work.

Sauro Scroglieri February 8th, 2017 03:45 AM

that's a solution I've been considering for some time (my current counterweight is a 2 Kg scuba diving block) but... X70 power supply output is around 8V while the V-Mount battery is 14.4V: how can we match the two?
can the X70 swallows the 14,4V without stomach troubles?

Paul Anderegg February 8th, 2017 07:32 AM

Most "dummy" batteries used for external power, have the transformer inside to reduce the voltage to the cameras specifications.

Paul

Sauro Scroglieri February 8th, 2017 10:48 AM

thanks Paul, I didn't realize that!

Dan Gunn February 8th, 2017 02:12 PM

Evidently the X70 dummy battery does not exist. I have an off brand NP-FV100 pack that I am going to carefully/safely open up, toss the lithium batts and see if I can add a circuit.

Will report.

Jeff Pulera February 8th, 2017 02:35 PM

I've found actual X70 power supplies on Ebay just now for $7.50-12.00 range. As a source for the power cord - cut it off and wire it to your DC power/batteries?

Thanks

Jeff

Dan Gunn February 8th, 2017 03:49 PM

Jeff, I still need to transform the voltage. I am still working on that problem.

Thanks

Christopher Young February 9th, 2017 09:20 AM

As Jeff says buy one of the X70 type power supplies of eBay chop of the cable and connect it to a suitable power supply. I used one of these V Lock plates that has a regulated 7.2 volt out. I cut, soldered and heat shrunk the 7.2 volt 90 degree plug with about six inches of cable to the cable cut from the eBay X70 type power supply and voila it works a beauty.

https://goo.gl/5TtZJm

First off I tried using Sony FP-970 batteries as a power source as they were also 7.2 volt. The problem is the X70 detects the voltage dropping from NP-970's 7.2 volt and as it is not getting any feedback from the chip in the battery it will all of a sudden with zero warning just cut out. Sometimes with rather nasty consequences to the recording going down on the card.

The X70 requires a constant non dropping voltage if there is no battery feedback circuit to make it think it is connected to a regulated mains power supply. The beauty of these V Lock plates is that they have a constant regulated 7.2 volt output. A fully charged V Lock can come of the charger at 16 volts. If you 'D" Tapped that to the X70 you would fry the X70's power input circuit. Using the regulated 7.2 volt from the battery plate I can run all day on a 150 Watt Hour battery and still end up with three of the four battery indicator LEDS still showing that there is 75% capacity left.

If I'm running around shooting I just use the NP-FV100's. I do a fair amount of long conference and seminar streaming shoots and this is where I use this V Lock power alternative. The V Lock plate and battery sit in a Bum Bag (I think in the States you call them Fanny Packs) slung around the top of the tripod legs.

All in all it works a treat.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Dan Gunn February 9th, 2017 02:15 PM

I found the input cable. Now I am looking for an adapter that I can modify. All I have to do is rework the cables. There are plenty of adapters available.

John Mitchell March 6th, 2017 09:15 PM

You need a step down (buck) DC-DC transformer. It needs to have an input range of 12 - 16.8V (at least - because a fully charged V-lock should sit close to 16.8V) and you'll need to adjust the output to 8.4V DC. It needs to be capable of at least 1.7 amps as that is the rated output of the supplied Sony power adapter. You also need to ensure that you get the polarity right - you just need the power adapter and a multimeter to check which cable out of the supply you chopped the end off is positive.

You also need to get the polarity right on the input side or you'll destroy the module - most v-lock plates have a D-Tap and that is often the best cable to make although for my FS-700 I just wired the cable directly into the buck converter (and because I just bought a V-lock plate of fleabay I wired the module directly into that. You can power your other items off the D-taps.

Here's a couple:
DC-DC Buck Step Down Voltage Regulator Module 3.3v 5v 12v 19V 24V 5A Adjustable | eBay

DC-DC Buck Step-down Converter Adjustable Module 5-24V to 3V 3.3V 5V 9V 12V 2A | eBay

I would personally go for the first one - it comes with a heatsink which will probably be necessary, and looks a little better made. Ripple shouldn't be an issue as your source is a battery which is pure DC. You'll need a small case as well and some way of mounting it on the v-lock plate.

Martin Archer-Shee March 16th, 2017 10:07 AM

I too am looking for an external battery pack system.

I do not have the PXW X70 but the FDR AX100 and using the FV70 is not giving enough time. Have after market FV100 but am not pleased. A Atomos power station was suggested but they do not have a dummy to fit the AX100/x70.
I searched on eBay and there are lots of dummy battery couplers for Sony 7s series but nothing for anything using a FV70/100. If there were a dummy coupler one could use the Atoms system with the Sony L series batteries. Even cheaper it would be possible to use a battery adapter plate for L series batteries such as this

Battery Back Pack Plate Adapter for SONY NP-F 970 F750 F550 BMPC BMCC BMPCC R1B0 | eBay

Total cost of a dummy coupler (if existing!!!) and adapter plate would be under $50. Add your L series batteries and away you go.

Dan, if you get the FV100 apart and strip it, I do not think you would need any circuitry if feeding from a L series F960 for instance. Correct me if I am wrong. Obviously one needs to connect the right wiring to match the L battery.

Martin

Christopher Young March 17th, 2017 02:46 AM

As I previously mentioned I have tried this route with 970 batteries on an external plate.

As there is no intelligent feedback to the camera's internal battery interrogation system from the external battery supply there will be problems. As soon as the camera detects the input voltage dropping on what it believes is a constant voltage external source, e.g. an AC power supply, it will cut out. Using 970 battery plates and we found 20-30 mins run time is all you will get on an X70 or the like.

To keep the camera alive it must be supplied with a constant voltage between 7.2 to 8.4 volts. Sony don't guarantee anything outside of this voltage range. 9 volt is considered too high. Some shooters have had success running 9 volt supplies but as Sony stipulates it is outside the recommended range. Sony went as far as to tell me that this applies to all their cameras that use batteries with a nominal 7.2 volt rating.

To do this with external batteries you need to go through some kind of DC/DC converter that will maintain a constant voltage to the camera. Start with something like a V-Loc plate with a regulated 7.2 to 8.4 volt constant level output, available on eBay at reasonable price, and the camera runs all day, and does so safely within spec.

This one has a 7.2 volt output plus other useful voltages for monitors, lights etc and costs less than a genuine Sony NP-FV100

USB BP V-mount Power Supply Battery Plate Automatic Lock For DSLR Camera Rig | eBay

For me this solution is working 100% safely and allows the cameras to run all day on long shoots like all day business seminars. Also it's a good feeling knowing that all is running safely within the manufactures specified voltage range and that you have hours of run time to spare.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Martin Archer-Shee March 17th, 2017 11:41 AM

Hi Chris

We might be talking at somewhat cross purposes.
I had read your earlier comments about using a 970. My understanding was that you used the 970 and fed in thought the power port, leaving the regular battery in place.

What I was wondering was having a dummy plate, shaped as the regular battery and placed in the battery port. I thought that by having the negative, positive and common connections terminals soldered to wiring going to a "plate" that held 970 type battery , such as I alluded to on eBay. In this way the camera would be directly connected to the 970 and its onboard chip, thus allowing it to "talk" directly to the camera. The only potential problem I see is if the 970 chip does not work the same as a fv100 type chip.

Of course the first problem is finding a dummy battery or making one, say by cleaning out an old fv100, and soldering the wiring in. This would then be similar to what is offered by Atomos to other systems.

Comments/thoughts?

Cheers
Martin

Dan Gunn March 17th, 2017 01:45 PM

I have a LARGE Sony BP-L90A V lock battery (actually I have six of these monsters) that I use on a plate which is mounted to a shoulder support. Serves as ballast and power. At the top, I have mounted a Koolertron (Amazon) that connects to the plate with a D-tap plug and gives four D-tap ports out.

I did cut the connector off of a X70 power supply (eBay) in order to get a plug to feed power to the input of the X70.

I am still working on a DC to DC voltage transformer to correct the voltage....not just for the X70. I saw what was available on eBay at a great price but I am afraid of frying the X70. I think I need a voltage "regulator".

Photos will be posted when the rig is finished.

David Barnett January 9th, 2018 05:35 PM

Slowly looking to begin using the X70 with livestreaming. Events likely. Did it come with an AC power supply at all? I'm not seeing it, so I might have tossed them when housecleaning at some point.

Otherwise is anyone using external supply or are you swapping batteries. I find when shooting weddings etc I get nervous after about an hour of usage so would like have an option to plug it into an outlet if I can.

It seems this is whats needed: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2855/KBID/3801

Q. Would this work in place of newer AC-L200D (for PXW-X70 camcorder)? The difference I see is this is 1.5amp, and AC-L200D is 1.7amp.
Or when can we expect a AC-L200D to be available?

A. Yes, this will work in place of. Due to the lower amperage, the charging of the battery in the camera may take a little longer, but that would be about it. You will not see any other difference.

Thoughts?

Dan Gunn April 10th, 2018 03:08 PM

Very late report! I did finally work out the problem of the12V output on my V mount battery plate so I could supply stabilized 8.4V to the X70. It was messy and I never trusted the contraption.

BTW, before I forget. This week I had a Sony FV100 go belly up and I thought this would be the time to make a dummy battery. Stupid, ignorant, retarded....I did some reading on lithium ion....burning to death is a bad way to go!!!. Do not crack the case on one of those little napalm bombs.

Back to the original subject. I found a V mount plate on Amazon that has several output jacks one of which is 8.4 volts. I bought it and tested the output jacks for voltage. Perfect 8.4V! Now, have do I determine if it is stabilized? What does "stabilized" mean anyway?

Kevin Lau April 10th, 2018 03:52 PM

I see this thread is quite old but I'll throw my comments in anyway since it got brought up.

Regulated output that holds within certain tolerances even with varying electrical load, and varying input voltage. As compared to an unregulated circuit which will fluctuate wildly with load and with input voltage (for example, as the source battery discharges). So you would apply a load up to the converter's rating and measure the output to ensure it is stable and free of ripple or other impairments which would cause issues with digital electronic equipment including but not limited to sudden power offs, reboots, data corruption. etc. Additionally you would sweep the input voltage within the converter's rated input range and make sure the output tracks closely to specification even as the input is varied, and that the output drops off cleanly when operated outside (typically, below, but can also be above as a protection mechanism) its rated input.

I am going to say the only real reason to want a battery eliminator insert in the InfoLithium H, V, or P form factor (they all have the same electrical pinout) is to also implement the serial data communication used to display battery state of charge information to the viewfinder. If this is not going to be implemented, then don't bother and just use the DC input jack, and rely on an external battery pack with an accurate state-of-charge meter. This allows you to still use a Infolithium battery on the camera body itself to allow hot swap of the external battery plugged in via DC-DC buck converter. On the higher end pro models (that directly accept 12-16V input) if they lose serial communication, they fall back to displaying the DC voltage reading, but on the X70 it won't show any details about the input voltage as Sony typically intends you to use it with their own power supplies.