DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   X70 Repair Questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/536106-x70-repair-questions.html)

Mark Goodsell August 2nd, 2018 11:02 AM

X70 Repair Questions

The menu button on my X70 has crapped out. The actual button doesn't push like the others. Guessing it's the switch on the board. I understand all repairs are different, but just in general, for those who've used Sony repair services, I was wondering how Sony works their repairs ...general timeline, costs (resonable?) ..etc.
Surprisingly I've never had a Sony camera that gave me troubles.

Thanks,

Charlie Steiner August 11th, 2018 01:16 PM

Re: X70 Repair Questions

it's done online. they have a fixed price for most things. https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/service.pl

Kyle Root August 13th, 2018 01:46 PM

my x70 fell off a tripod onto a concrete floor right before a wedding started a couple months ago or so.

Sent it off to NY and it took about 5 weeks and $250 to replace the LCD that cracked and tripod thread mount (which is what broke).

Mark Goodsell October 22nd, 2018 09:55 AM

Ok I recently got my X70 back from Sony Service, so can answer my own question on how things went. Hopefully it'll help others who may need their camcorder serviced in the future. To recap, the problems I had were the Menu button slowly failed to the point where: 1) I couldn't access the menu at all ..and the bottom manual buttons along the bottom quit working and would sometimes cause the camcorder to 'freak-out'! (a drop of morning dew dripped off a tree and went right into the menu button ..I saw it!). 2) Corrosion developed on the camcorder hot shoe pins (more water I suspect) which caused the camcorder to intermittently not recognize the handle, although usually I could get it to work. The corrosion I believe had migrated inside the camcorder. I wasn't necessarily sure it was just the corrosion or possibly the handle too?

1) The Sony Service online sign-up sight didn't work. It kept failing. After about a week or so of failed attempts to sign up, (several days, even a week apart and 2 different browsers), I contacted Sony Service by phone, they were aware of the issue (may have been like that for 2 years as far as I know). They promptly sent me an email repair authorization number and shipping location.

2) The basic charge is around $135 for the initial diagnosis, and an hourly labor rate after that ..If I recall, it was around $72/hr but I will try to verify that number with the repair bill. Plus parts.

3) After I had sent it in I didn't hear anything for about 3 few weeks and the repair site had no updates. I was busy with other projects and sort of forgotten about it. When I put in my camcorder's serial number into the repair site status line ..my information came up as the owner, but the camcorder model was incorrect (strange and worrysome??). I called them, and received an email with a PDF repair estimate a day later. I had written my information on the camcorder and handle with masking tape to be sure things didn't get lost at the repair facility.

4) The cost was $550 for a replacement board (the Menu and manual adjustment buttons board along the bottom left), and a new hot shoe assembly ...plus labor ..and I assume shipping back. I signed and approved the PDF document, same day, with payment info and re-emailed back.

5) Then there were no status updates on the service website at all. About 2 weeks later the FedEx truck backed into the driveway out of the blue ..with a big box. Fortunately I happened to be home. With the recent problems I'd had with missing USPS packages, I preferred UPS or FedEx.

So yeah, like the previous poster indicated, it was about 5 weeks for the repair and communication is best described as piss-poor. Basically there wasn't any communication other than when I reached out by phone or email (and they didn't have any information but would 'look into it'). I'm not sure in the future if I would even bother signing up on the repair site. I'm not sure what that would gain me? My experience was slower and more costly compared to the one-time Canon Service experience (HV30) which my or may not have been typical (less than 2 weeks out and back to repair a problem and replace half of the case ..for around $300). Those two repairs are probably not fair to compare. To be fair, there was a box on the initial repair form which asked how soon I needed the camcorder back (with a specific date even) and indicated I didn't need it ASAP (b/c I didn't). Perhaps if I'd have indicated I needed it ASAP it would have been a faster turn-around. But because I didn't have a needed use for it for a few months (or could use another camcorder) I didn't see the need to clog up their repair system when others may need their camcorder back quicker. The repair was a little more costly than I'd hoped (isn't it always?) but still within the acceptable price range. I'm glad to have it back in good working order. It's really a powerful little camcorder! At the moment I don't see the advantage of upgrading for *my* particular needs (other than a better auto-focus would be nice).

The take-away to me is, 1) plan a repair ahead if you can, if it's an intermittent problem. 2) If you need it back faster for a particular project, definitely indicate so. 3) Be *proactive* with your communication.

Chris Hurd October 22nd, 2018 10:57 AM

Thanks for the update, Mark -- this info is much appreciated!