DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   AX-53 PlayMemories or other Application to Play & Organize (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/537218-ax-53-playmemories-other-application-play-organize.html)

Dave Brocklebank January 2nd, 2020 02:39 PM

AX-53 PlayMemories or other Application to Play & Organize

Hi,
I used PlayMemories Home to import the MP4 videos from the Sony AX53 to my Windows 10 computer.

The format used was XAVD S HD, 50P, shutter speed 100 and the rest auto.

After the clips have imported, they are shown within the PlayMemories table which lists all the clips.

It looks like the s/w was intended to show various settings for each video clip but many are blank.

The only fields that are populated are the filename, the filetype, date take, date modified, file size, model name and duration.

Some other important fields such as shutter speed, lens focal length, f number, iso are all blank.

Am I doing something wrong and is that why this information is not being displayed for each clip?

Or are these just some features that don’t work in PlayMemories with the AX-53?

Also when I double click on a video clip to play inside PlayMemories … the video is played in slow motion.

Am I doing something wrong… or how do I get the clip to play at the right speed?

Is there some other better Application that can store/organize the video clips by date, and that would display such useful info such as shutter speed and aperture and lens focal length and what settings for the stabalization etc.. ?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Ron Evans January 2nd, 2020 07:10 PM

Re: AX-53 PlayMemories or other Application to Play & Organize

https://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/catalystbrowse will show all the information but does not have the consumer features of calendar view etc or simple email photos etc. Catalyst Browse is free but the others are purchased options. I use Catlayst browse for my imports and do the clip management myself though PlayMemories can find them all and get all the calendar feature back of course.

Dave Brocklebank January 5th, 2020 05:07 AM

Hi Ron,
I installed Catalyst Browse and used it to look at the files I had imported already.

Looks excellent… and gives frame rate, shutter speed, aperture. Thanks for the pointer to that s/w!

You mentioned that “I use Catlayst browse for my imports”

Do you mean that you use Catalyst Browse to copy the MP4 files from your AX53 to your computer?

Or what method do you use to get your files from the AX53 to your computer?

Any tips or advice about Clip Management or do you just leave the clips stored in folders by date? And then use CatalystBrowse to browse to the ones you want to view?

Best Wishes,
Dave

Ron Evans January 5th, 2020 07:34 AM

I just store the files in named folders for event. I then back them up to external drives before editing. When finished editing I delete local files and just then have the backups so the main PC drives are clean.

Dave Brocklebank January 5th, 2020 09:14 AM

Ron,
Is there any benefit or downside to using PlayMemories to copy the files from the AX53 to the computer?

To me it seems like it takes a long time for PlayMemories to copy the files to the computer.

Would it be quicker to just do a file copy from Windows 10... or would there be downsides to doing that?

Best Wishes,
Dave

Ron Evans January 5th, 2020 11:55 AM

Benefit of Playmemories is that it then creates a directory for the file so can be used in the calendar view etc and grab stills etc. If you do not need any of these other features then Catalyst is a better choice. It will copy files as fast as your PC will do it and you have all the features available to you when you do that.

Dave Brocklebank January 5th, 2020 12:46 PM

Sounds good. I will continue to use PlayMemories as I often only import once a month of short videos and handy to have them put into correct date folder automatically.

Thanks for the tip of backing up to external drives and after editing deleting the folders on the PC to keep the drives clear. My drives getting cluttered so time to do a cleanup.

Best Wishes,
Dave