PXW-X70 in a gimbal at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old March 11th, 2020, 02:45 AM   #1
New Boot

PXW-X70 in a gimbal

Is there anyone who know if the X70 fits in a Dji Ronin SC? I know it fits on a “S” model, the bigger one, but i looking up for a cheaper one. Thanks in advantage
Kurt Mestdagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2020, 06:49 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: PXW-X70 in a gimbal

I was surprised to that camera would work on any gimbal. I would get the S, it’s not much more expensive. In my experience it’s not good to try to get away with using an under powered gimbal. When the motors strains you won’t be able to get smooth motion and will get vibration issues.

You also might want to get a gym membership. ;-)
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2020, 01:55 PM   #3
New Boot

Received the Ronin SC this day but sent it back immediately. Camera does not fit on it, bumps into the motor with its battery or eye viewer. Had done this in consultation with the store and was allowed to try it out and return it if I was not satisfied, which I also did. By the way just get my money back so it was worth a try ....
Kurt Mestdagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2020, 02:33 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Most of these gimbals can’t be used with camcorders for that reason (the length). Even though it’s a small camcorder it’s still large compared to a mirrorless. People often have dedicated dslr/mirrorless that stays on the gimbal.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2020, 09:44 PM   #5
Trustee

Over the last couple of years I've frequently used an x70 and now a Z90 on a Zhiyun Crane 2. Rather than explain how just watch this video. Explains it all. In the video they say the tripod plate won't latch. I just use a longer Manfrotto plate to overcome that issue. In conjunction with the "Active" stabilization mode on the x70 and x90s it performs very smoothly. Remember with the 70's and 90's with the handle and XLRs removed you still have the internal camera mics. If I need wireless audio I use the 3.5mm mic input with a long thin light cable and clip the receiver to my belt. Works a treat.

Chris Young.

Christopher Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2021, 07:32 PM   #6
Major Player

A question for you Chris. I'm about to get a gimbal for my Z90. Is removing the lens hood really essential as this video suggests? Its so light you wouldn't think it would matter unless the gimbal is already maxed out weight wise. Thinking of course, about potential lens flares.

Thanks
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2021, 09:31 PM   #7
Trustee

I've never removed the lens hood and have not had problems balancing. It would be nice if there was a bit more weight towards the back like being able to use a bigger 100 series battery but that then causes a clearance problem. If extra rear weight is needed use adhesive car wheel balance weights stuck to your battery or the underside of the sled plate. Left stuck on the bottom of a battery they are not really a hindrance in general off gimbal use. Cheap and available at most auto stores or off eBay.

Chris Young
Attached Thumbnails
PXW-X70 in a gimbal-wheel-weights.jpg  
Old June 16th, 2021, 08:43 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Chris. I don't see the Z90 listed on Zhiyun's site as compatible so I'm assuming you don't use the control cable but instead your smartphone. Is that correct?
Old June 16th, 2021, 10:37 AM   #9
Trustee

Correct. You can use your phone... if it will work. Not all phones work with Content Browser. Sony phones work the best, go figure. No idea how it works with iPhone as I only use Android.

99% of the time on a gimbal I'm never zooming I'm working full wide and so I prefocus at a distance that is going to work for what I'm shooting. You probably know all I'm about to outline below as you already own a Z90. If so ignore the following.

For gimbal work If I'm going to use autofocus I make sure PHASE AF FRAMES is turned on so I know exactly what the critical focus point is by the little green squares. The Hybrid AF (phase and contrast) on the Z90 is the best AF I've ever used on a video camera. I find it very much like the performance you get from the A7 series mirrorless cameras. Well, that's where the AF evolved from, the A7 and 9 cameras. Another very useful feature I find for gimbal work is the SPOT METER/FOCUS function which you can assign to one of the programmable buttons. Just tap the screen at the point you want to expose and focus on and it will set the exposure and the focus for that point. Use that quite often.

On the gimbal, I sometimes use auto iris exposure on a fixed dB or if I want a fixed iris setting I then set an upper limit on auto dB gain and let the gain control exposure. If running auto iris and If necessary I can use the auto iris override +/- with its small incremental steps if I need a bit of an increase or decrease over what the auto iris is deciding to do. In good stable lighting conditions I find the auto-exposure is really quite good. As you would know on the Z90 you have a number of sensor coverage areas to select from where the exposure is being calculated. I choose what works best for the particular shoot at hand. I've not yet been stuck in a situation I can't control the exposure with either the auto iris or the auto gain if using auto modes.

Mostly I'm shooting everything in manual mode so really don't find the need to remotely control the camera. If I do need to zoom, which is very, very rare on the gimbal I'm using a BeBob Engineering Lanc controller which has a pretty light cable. Like in days gone by with the Steadicam I find it rare to have to zoom as you have the mobility to walk in and out of your shot which is a much better look from the field of view perspective.

Chris Young
Old June 20th, 2021, 04:06 PM   #10
Major Player

Chris, I appreciate your input. Will bite the bullet in the next day or 2 but on the 2S. A little heavier which is a concern but Zhiyun makes an accessory 2nd handle if I need it. Apparently the app is supported on my somewhat aging iPhone 7 but if need be, it could be a good excuse to upgrade that.

While I am familiar with the Z90 functions as you detail, I don't use them all that frequently so a good refresher to have them outlined in one place.

I was recently filming in a warehouse, following someone around handheld, as she explained the work done there. I normally do lock exposure but in this case, a high contrast environment, I didn't. The auto exposure worked really well.

One other thing I’ll ask you about is your lanc controller. I’m using the Sony RM1BP Remote Commander which for the most part, serves my needs. Only one thing that it doesn’t do which I wish it would. You can’t change the focus from auto to manual or back again, still have to change that on the camera itself. If you’re aware of a controller where’s that possible, maybe the one you have, I’d appreciate knowing.

Thanks again
Jase
Old June 22nd, 2021, 12:15 AM   #11
Trustee

I don't know of a Lanc controller that can switch AF/M successfully on the Z90. I see a few people using the Libec Z-FCL controller but have heard very mixed feedback on the AF/M side of things. I've never worried about it as like you said the AF/M selection is available on a camera button. I just select what I want before I roll. Switching between AF and M while rolling has given me problems in the past. Not specifically with the Z90 but it's just a practice I don't trust. I'm using the now discontinued but very good BeBob Engineering ZOE Lanc controller. I just use the Zoom and Rec/Stop functions on it.

Whether the sporadic AF/M issues apply to the Libec I don't know but I do know with the BeBob YOU MUST have it plugged in before you turn on the camera. Failing to observe that start-up routine has a couple of times given me a very slow zoom going on. Turn off the camera and restart and the problem has gone. Maybe something similar with the Libecs on their focusing with the Z90s.

The biggest appeal of the old ZOE was the wide range of speed control afforded by its variable speed roller wheel. I picked up three of them for a song off eBay. Two had cracked speed adjust wheels. I contacted BeBob in Germany and in a flash they sent me the two wheels I needed plus a spare. All for no charge! That's what I call support. And I had bought them second-hand? Don't see that sort of support very often these days do you.

Chris Young

https://www.marcotec-shop.com/pub/me...ser_Manual.pdf
Old June 22nd, 2021, 07:50 AM   #12
Major Player

When I first got the Z90 I tried a Varizoom controller, the specs of which said it could switch from auto to manual focus but it didn’t work. Contacted Varizoom about it and they didn’t even know which of their’s could on the Z90. They didn’t say that none could, but they simply didn’t know. Bebob doesn’t seem to make any lancs at this point in time.

I also have the Libec Z-FCL. I’ve had no issues with it but again it won’t allow you to switch back and forth from AF to MF.

Jase
Old June 22nd, 2021, 08:30 AM   #13
Trustee

Yes, I'm not surprised to hear that the Libec doesn't switch AF/M. Good to have it confirmed though.

Chris Young
Old June 22nd, 2021, 01:08 PM   #14
New Boot

Just for the record, I am following this discussion with interest and appreciation because I have owned an AX-700 since July 2020. Anything covering that triad of camera models is something that gets my attention.
Charlie Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2021, 02:27 PM   #15
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post
I'm using the now discontinued but very good BeBob Engineering ZOE Lanc controller. I just use the Zoom and Rec/Stop functions on it.
Now that you mention it, I used to have a BeBob contoller for my EX1 and it was really good. I haven't seen it in years. I wounder what happened to it? Now I use a Sony RM-1BP with my cameras that have LANC connectors. I like it for all the extra buttons and controls but getting a smoothly ramped start to a zoom takes concentration and maybe a couple of takes to get it right.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds