AX53 won't record more than two seconds in 4K at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old September 25th, 2021, 08:45 AM   #1
Major Player

AX53 won't record more than two seconds in 4K

Hi all, I don't know why I'm having a problem with the AX53 recording 4k. I'm using an Integral Ultima SDXC V30 100MB read/ 90MB write card (256GB) with no luck. Also tried SanDisk Extreme 150MB/s SDXC V30 (64GB), same result.

The first card records about two seconds, the second card just freezes the camera so I have to remove the battery to turn off.

I always use AVCHD at 50fps on the AX53, it does what I need. Using XAVC 2 for higher end HD works on these cards but you can't playback the XAVC in camera. The files are there on the card and I can transfer them to PC ok but no viewing in camera, it comes up with "Data Error".

Is this normal for the AX53?
Chris Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2021, 06:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: AX53 won't record more than two seconds in 4K

I use Lexar 1000X V60 128G cards in mine and it will record and playback all formats and frame rates. I normally use XAVC-S HD 60P for all my shoots. No problems recording or playing back in camera. I would try a V60 card. Are you using a real Sony battery?
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2021, 07:46 PM   #3
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hewitt View Post
I'm using an Integral Ultima SDXC V30 100MB read/ 90MB write card
V30 cards??? Time to invest in some new media. Cards are dirt cheap these days.
Old September 26th, 2021, 06:26 AM   #4
Major Player

I have quite a lot of cards and haven't bought any for a couple of years so wasn't really aware of v60. Is that what you think I need to shoot 4K at 100MB? Thanks for your replies..
Old September 26th, 2021, 06:55 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The V30 cards should work for the AX53. If you are buying more I would get V60. Look at
. I asked about batteries because Sony cameras are sometimes picky about the batteries used. Have you tried shooting with the power supply ? Does it do the same with mains power ?
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2021, 08:44 AM   #6
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hewitt View Post
I have quite a lot of cards and haven't bought any for a couple of years so wasn't really aware of v60. Is that what you think I need to shoot 4K at 100MB? Thanks for your replies..
V60 would be the absolute minimum speed that anyone should buy today, but in some ways they are already outdated for high-end codecs and/or high frame rates. Why not invest in name-brand V90 cards from a reputable reseller (to avoid fakes) and then you'll be prepared for whatever your future needs may be? If you invest in V90 cards you may never have to buy SD cards ever again.

I like Sony TOUGH cards, but I'm sure there are other reliable brands as well.
Old September 26th, 2021, 11:09 AM   #7
Major Player

Ron, the batteries are third party. I will test using the AC power supply when I get home and see if that's the issue. Doug, I will check out the V90 cards. Thank you for replying.
Old September 26th, 2021, 12:16 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I never heard of Integral Ultima. Those cheap no name brand cards often don't meet the performance they claim. Download a free speed test utility you might be surprised to find how slow they actually are.
https://crystalmark.info/en/
https://apps.apple.com/my/app/blackm...st/id425264550

Stick to the name brands. You'll find even their lower rated cards still perform better than no names with better specs.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2021, 02:45 PM   #9
Vortex Media

Not only stick to name brands, but also only buy from reputable retailers because there are lots of counterfeit cards out there that are not what the label says they are.
Old September 27th, 2021, 04:47 PM   #10
Trustee

Chris - Just stopped by and noticed the question/problem. This has been a very slow past couple years with doing video due to all the Covid problems so the cams has been sitting mostly dormant with very little use. When they have been used it has been with hd.

Did a test with the AX53 in the “XAVC S 4K” @ 60 setting and there was no problem with either viewing the files on the LCD during record mode or with viewing in playbackmode. The card was an older (~2 or 3 years) SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 mb/s SDXC I, U3, C10.

Looking at possibilities, not mentioned previously, unless i overlooked it, was whether the card used was a U1 or U3, and that could make a difference. Another possibility, may be if the card was formatted in a different cam. I’ve been using the cards with whatever cam they were formatted with.

Just grasping at straws here in trying to help.Thanks for posting the question and hope it isn’t anything that’s a cam problem! The AX53 is a really handy handy-cam.

P.S. [Edit]: Just checked the Sony AX53 "Help Guide", page 33 paragraph or section 16, and did a screen shot of this note:
Attached Thumbnails
AX53 won't record more than two seconds in 4K-screen-shot-2021-09-27-3.54.43-pm.png  

Last edited by John Nantz; September 27th, 2021 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Added "Help Guide" note
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2022, 11:11 PM   #11
Major Player

I've been using an AX-53 for more than two years and have had the same card and batteries for all that time. The card is a SanDisk 256GB Extreme Pro 170MB/s, V30, U3, C10 and I have recorded many 4K clips several minutes long, in hot and cold weather, with no trouble. I have 1 Sony battery and 4 from Wasabi, that work equally well. Have you tried re-setting the camera to its factory position? Make sure there's no dirt or grit around the lens barrel, as this could cause a stall. Also check the battery contacts inside the back of the camcorder to make sure they are clean and check those on the batteries.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds