DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   Any new Sony camcorders coming in 2022? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/538498-any-new-sony-camcorders-coming-2022-a.html)

Mark Goodsell January 23rd, 2022 08:20 PM

Any new Sony camcorders coming in 2022?

Just curious if there were any rumors or talk of new Sony camcorders coming out in 2022?

In particular I'm kind of waiting on the sidelines for a revised/improved version of the Z90v (or similar form-factor).

Thanks!

Christopher Young January 23rd, 2022 08:53 PM

Re: Any new Sony camcorders coming in 2022?

I would be surprised if any new small camcorder types were coming from Sony in the near future. Agree with you on the Z90. I would have kept mine bar the fact it was missing UHD 50p which I find is production-spec where demand is growing. I think until the supply of various types of ICs and chips improves Sony will be concentrating on trying to maintain the supply of current models which have been affected by the global chip shortage.

I also think pricing and market fragmentation is affecting this market to some degree. When you can buy a FF mirrorless camera for similar money to a Z90 a lot of people may be swayed to purchase a mirrorless.

Notwithstanding that, I still reckon the Z90 is an amazing product for the IQ it delivers. The fact that it offers NDs, XLR audio and extremely good stabilisation are all major bonuses. The overall capability aZ90 can offer in many productions situations is quite amazing. Now if they brought out a 4K/UHD 50p version of the camera offering 422 10-bit on the 4K side I'd probably be back in there. For HD work the 422 10-bit on the Z90 is something I used a lot in conjunction with S35 cameras. It stands up very well except in very low light situations.

I hope Sony will upgrade this type of small video camera but I'm not holding my breath for 2022.

Chris Young

David Barnett February 8th, 2022 07:14 PM

Yeah I was wondering about this a little while ago, and am stumped. I have the x70, which is still a great camera. I think tho Sony double downed on mirrorless & that is where the market is going. Last year alone I think they released the a7siii, FX3, A7iv, A7c qnd like an a1 or some photo camera. Crazy!

While I'm sure the Z90 will be their flagship kinda modeling (kinda like a7), I think the releases will be far between (6-8 years) as we're seeing, with likely bulk improvements like 8k, 10bit etc. What I would love is a Camcorder style with Full Frame sensor size, as Chris Young said the 1" is great, except in very low light. And as a wedding videographer, yes it struggles (I have an a7 for that:) I'd like to see the camcorder body compete with mirrorless, with the terrific zoom lens & ND Filters they are great cameras. Great for studio/production work too.

Otherwise tho, I haven't heard anything. I'd expect one maybe late 2022 or 2023 possibly, but I wouldn't necessarily hold out for it.

Christopher Young February 9th, 2022 09:26 AM

"What I would love is a Camcorder style with Full Frame sensor size..."

Know where you are coming from. I think Sony's current answer to that is the Sony FX6 as basically, it is a camcorder with a FF sensor, NDs and XLRs. Sony is selling a heap of them around the globe. For US$6K it offers a fair amount of versatile production clout in a single package . Plus at only a couple of pounds weight, it's good for gimbals.

Chris Young

FX6
4K Full-Frame 10.2MP CMOS Exmor R Sensor
DCI 4K60p | UHD 4K120 | 1080p240
15+ Stops of Dynamic Range in S-Log 3 EI
Compact Form Weighs Just <2 lb
Phase Detection AF/Face Tracking/Eye AF
Base 800-12,800 ISO / 320-409,600 Max
S-Cinetone, S-Log3, HLG Modes
10-Bit 4:2:2 XAVC-I/16-Bit Raw Output
Dual CFexpress Type A/SDXC Card Slots

Pete Cofrancesco February 9th, 2022 11:07 AM

I don't think it's feasible to make an affordable full frame camcorder. The lens would be too big and expensive to get any reach. That shallow dof doesn't lend itself to shooting sports or staged events. Focus becomes an issue etc.

Still it would be nice if they simply added a stacked 1" sensor or upgraded it to shoot 10bit. Again the type of work that gets filmed with camcorders aren't going to be color graded.

So a stacked senor is the only thing that you could realistically expect, but since they can sell to more people a mirrorless camera that can shot video and photography, I can't see them releasing a new camcorder. The manufactures are in survival mode concentrating only on higher end mirrorless because of the higher profit margins.

Christopher Young February 9th, 2022 06:50 PM

"That shallow dof doesn't lend itself to shooting sports or staged events. Focus becomes an issue etc."

That's why I still keep a three chipper and an S35 alongside the a7. For sports, the three chipper ENG cam still delivers very acceptable results and for staged events, I'm finding the FS7 with Tamron's new 18-300mm (16.6x) is covering events quite well. As I don't do a massive amount of zooming on staged events I find the non-constant aperture not a problem to deal with. With Sony's variable ND on their FS7 it works very well. The lens is available in Sony and Fuji mounts. It also works very well on the a7iv in crop mode for 4K 50/60p jobs

Chris Young

Jim Stamos February 22nd, 2022 11:37 PM

The z90 and nx 80 still sell like crazy. I think these are the last small camcorders Sony will be doing, they've completely shifted their gears to the mirrorless cameras foe some time now. Although they did to the fx6 recently, and that is a completely different type of camera that you cannot hand hold easily all day .
Somy comes out with one or two models of the mirrorless every year, that's what everybody seems to be buying now. I could never use that for my main camera.
I've been shooting with Sony cameras since 1990 and I've hadan ex1r for years... it's done a great job but now I'm shooting with the nx80, it's a it's a great camera with newer technology.I have zero issues with it. I only wish it had a manual Iris ring but other than that it's hard to beat.
I'm not expecting them to do anymore small form camcorders. NAB in April it's supposed to happen but then again every year I go out there Sony never tells you much as far as their plans.

Tom Van den Berghe September 28th, 2022 04:35 AM

canon released the XF-605 and now panasonic announced the HC-X2 and HC-X20.

still no new camcorder from sony...