A7iii and A7s2 internal UHD while external HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old July 11th, 2020, 06:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

A7iii and A7s2 internal UHD while external HD

I'm stymied. I have 2 Sony cameras, neither of them can do what I need:

I want to record internally in UHD, and export sound and picture with the display (frame rate, white balance, audio levels, etc) turned ON, so whoever's watching the monitor can see what's happening during the recording.

Using the HDMI port I can get sound and picture to the monitor, but can find no way to include the display info. It seems neither camera allows this. Is there a workaround? If not, is there any full frame DSLR that can do this?

thanks,
Thomas Kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2020, 07:38 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: A7iii and A7s2 internal UHD while external HD

https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1720/...001629777.html
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2020, 09:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Peter

Thanks for your quickly reply. I have turned on the HDMI info display, and I'm outputting the HDMI in 1080, but no display info appears on the monitor.

I've read the when recording 4k internally the camera is unable to output the display info. This seems to be true, and I wonder if there's a workaround?
Old July 11th, 2020, 09:13 AM   #4
Inner Circle

These cameras are annoying that way some features aren't available depending on the format you're filming in.

Depending on what you're doing there are work arounds. So why do you need to see the data info on your monitor?
Old July 11th, 2020, 11:43 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm using the HDMI output to go to a computer on Zoom, so my client wants to see audio levels, remaining record time, battery level.

thanks,
Old July 11th, 2020, 01:18 PM   #6
Inner Circle

There are three solutions I can think of:
1. You simply film in HD and all your problems go away.
2. Use a web cam to film the rear LCD of the camera and feed that to zoom instead.
3. Zoom feed it without the data. The person on zoom sets a timer for 29 minutes, If it's miced proper you should be able to set the levels and leave them, he should be able listen via zoom to know if he's receiving audible audio.

If this is an interview you should have a camera man in the room wearing a mask monitoring the recording, making adjustments as necessary, and relaying information via zoom chat to the person on the other end. Or at very least waiting outside stepping in if needed. In general these cameras are not ideal for unattended use.
Old July 12th, 2020, 12:05 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks, peter, much appreciated.
Thomas Kaufman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR