Sony NEX 50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems
Sony cameras with interchangeable E-mount lenses.

Old October 12th, 2018, 09:57 AM   #1
Trustee

Sony NEX 50

So I have a couple of NEX 50s I used them for a few years and loved them. then I got a sony a6300 and a fdr ax100 I loved them. I cant seem to find anyone to buy my EA 50s I started giving them a good look the other day an other than lack of 4K they really have everything I need the biggest draw back was lenses. now I see tameron has 28 to 75 @ 2.8 coming out, instead of buy a set of new cameras I was thinking for weddings of just getting new lenses. Do you guys think these cameras still hold up against the newer smaller cameras? Or should I just let them stay in the cases?
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 12:41 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sony NEX 50

If you put 2 of them in the mix and if you don't mind the size of the camera, then ofcourse they can still be used for weddingvideography but as you have the ax100 and 6300 you know that the nex 50 won't mix that well with those camera's when it comes to resolution, even if you deliver in HD, so in that regard it doesn't hold up against the current high res camera's.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 01:31 PM   #3
Trustee

ok thats kinda the info I needed, I dont shoot in 4K on the 6300 or the AX 100 but I was wondering what the difference was in the image quality considering they all say "exmor sensor" I dont expect them to match but I do need them to look good.
Old October 12th, 2018, 03:04 PM   #4
Inner Circle

From what I have heared shooting HD on the sony vs shooting 4K scaled down to HD in post is like night and day on the 6300 when it comes to resolution, I"m surprised you never even shot 4K :) Both camera's will look better if you shoot 4K and then just edit HD.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 04:22 PM   #5
Trustee

To be honest im one of those people that doesnt like 30p and thats all the Sonys do. I did some shooting with it as a test and it looked good ill have to do some more tests. I also have a Panasonic UX-180 I shot 4K 60 with that one even though it looked sharp it didnt look that good compared to the same situation shot in HD (after down converting to HD) personally I dont like the Panasonic its very noisy and terrible in low light, I was thinking if these lenses worked out id sell the Panasonic and buy new lenses for the EA 50s
Old October 13th, 2018, 04:21 AM   #6
Major Player

hey Randy,

in the past I had the NEX-EA50 (bought from Noa) but sold it. I could buy a cheap sony FS100.
The sony FS100 is much better in low light and sharper image.

Personally I use fast primes or the 18-200mm stocklens. Yesterday I used the 80-200mm nikon F2.8 because I had to film a concert and there was low light on stage.

I'm a bit surprised the UX180 is not good in low light. I was thinking of buying the panasonic HC-X1 (same as the UX180 but missing some connections) for it's 20x zoom and 1 inch sensor and full 4K 60p

Normally I use my 20x zoom sony HXR-NX3 but it's not the best for low light shooting. Always thought a 1inch sensor camcorder would be better.

I agree with you that 4K 30p is useless. I need 60P (50P for me) to slow down in post.
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2018, 11:25 PM   #7
Trustee

Tom,
The best way I can explain the comparison is I have a Sony adr-ax100 and a Panasonic UXU-180
When both cameras are wide and at the same wide aperture like 2.8 the cameras look the same. BUT when it gets darker and we need to gain up I can go to 21 db with out loosing any significant image I can barley get past 9 db before seeing significant artifacts. It just doent hold up well when the rubber meets the road
Old October 17th, 2018, 11:17 AM   #8
Major Player

Randy,

so the sony goes up to 21db and the panasonic gets artifacts from about 9db.
Both have a 1inch sensor but the sony technology seems to do much better in low light.

I'm understanding this correct?
Old October 18th, 2018, 06:25 AM   #9
Trustee

yes, without gaining up theyre both pretty close but once you gain up the Panasonic falls apart really quick. I cant shoot much past 9 db and get what I call acceptable images. I have a wedding Saturday ill try and shoot some comparrisons.
Old October 19th, 2018, 08:53 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
From what I have heared shooting HD on the sony vs shooting 4K scaled down to HD in post is like night and day on the 6300 when it comes to resolution, I"m surprised you never even shot 4K :) Both camera's will look better if you shoot 4K and then just edit HD.
That is because HD is so very bad on the a6300, is worse than in the older a6000!
Old October 22nd, 2018, 01:58 PM   #11
Trustee

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder:) I love my 6300s HD image for my purposes anyway.I need to compare my 6300 to my EA 50 somehow.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 05:31 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Hey Randy

As you know I had 2 EA-50's as well and technically I loved them as they had all the bells and whistles that other manufacturers forgot to include. I never liked the end result ..even with my Nikon lenses or even my 18-35 F1.8 Sigma art lens ... I honestly think that the rumours that it used a still camera APSC sensor is correct so buying new lenses isn't going to help.

Just for interest where is the 180 Panasonic made? China or Japan ?? I never had much success when I had my AC-130's the build quality really sucked. Just did a School Prize Giving last night using one camera and I used my MDH2 (in the USA it's the AC-8 ) and even at 24 db in virtual darkness in our huge concert hall the images were awesome and no noise at all. That's from a $1200 camera too!!!

Maybe look elsewhere and sell your EA-50's (if it helps I split mine and sold the 18-200 lenses on their own then sold the camera bodies .. Good Luck
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2018, 10:47 AM   #13
Major Player

CHris,

the MDH2 (in the USA it's the AC-8) is using a small sensor. I think my panasonic HC-X920 uses the same sensor. If I remember correct my EA50 was better in lower light. (with the slow stocklens)

But for that small sensor it did a great job in low light.

@Randy:

Did you do a comparison on the wedding from past Saturday?
Old October 23rd, 2018, 06:32 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Hi Tom

That's why I cannot understand why the 180 is giving such bad low light performance! I have two Panasonic FZ1000's and use them for both standard and 4K video too and they are way better in low light than the EA-50 used to be and they have the 1" sensor too. AFAIK Panasonic actually use Sony sensors too .. I have no issues with the sensors in the FZ1000's and they are brilliant for stills too so I have no idea why Randy has such low light issues!! My FZ1000's and Randy's 180's should perform the same in low light!!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2018, 10:38 AM   #15
Major Player

hey Randy,

can you give us a update please?
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems