DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-digital-cinema-camera-systems/)
-   -   Sony FX6: This Week In Nature (4K) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-digital-cinema-camera-systems/538672-sony-fx6-week-nature-4k.html)

Doug Jensen August 2nd, 2022 01:20 PM

Sony FX6: This Week In Nature (4K)

Last week I finally had some free time to get out and shoot some fresh wildlife/nature 4K stock footage in Massachusetts with my FX6: Hummingbirds, beaver, bullfrogs, gold finch, woodpeckers, chipmunks, geese, and many other species. The ability to shoot 120 fps 4K while using Picture Cache at the same time allowed me to take advantage of some unpredictable opportunities that would have been far less efficient with other cameras -- or even the FX6 itself prior to firmware 2.0.

Camera: Sony FX6
Lens: Sony 200-600mm
Tripod head: Sachtler Aktiv8
Tripod legs: Sachtler Flowtech75
Shot in 4K XAVC-I 23.98
Slow motion captured at 120 fps with 144 degree shutter
Mostly S-LOG3 graded in DaVinci Resolve

Mark Williams August 2nd, 2022 04:49 PM

Re: Sony FX6: This Week In Nature (4K)

Beautiful work. That in-ground yellow jacket nest looked a little dangerous. You keep raising the bar which encourages me to try to get better. I have learned a lot from viewing your videos.

Doug Jensen August 2nd, 2022 06:14 PM

Thanks Mark.
Since you mentioned the bees, I'll let you in on a little secret. That shot and the sunset at the end were actually shot with my Z280 last week. I didn't know what else to do with them,so I snuck them in.

Charlie Ross August 2nd, 2022 07:03 PM

Beautiful variety of wildlife Doug, which leads me to ask – practically speaking how long would you be out in the field to be capturing that much footage and with that variety? I would have to cover a lot of geography to find that diversity available even though where I live in Ontario is considered rural cottage country. I'm surrounded by waterways and forests and I do observe the little things like that bee on a thistle scenario happened to myself just the other day from a foot away.

Doug Jensen August 2nd, 2022 08:13 PM

Thank you Charlie.

The shot of the bees in the hole and the pond at sunset at the end of the video were shot in my backyard. Everything else was shot during three visits to a historic farm, about 5 miles from my house, that was turned into a wildlife sanctuary a few years ago. All of the animals are wild, though, and free to come and go as they wish except for some sheep which are not seen in this video.

The first two visits were in the evening from about 5:00 to sunset around 7:30. The third visit was just before sunrise from about 5:30am to about 8:00. So, a total of about 8 hours on location. Although the sanctuary has miles of hiking trails, everything in this video was shot within a 1 acre area, never more than 50 yards from my car. Amazing location, right? In fact, these three other videos were also shot entirely within this one acre area of the farm. It is a gold mine of wildlife. I am very lucky to live so close to it. BTW, the baby geese in the video below are the same geese in the video I posted earlier -- 2 months older now. It is never the same twice.