DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   Sony Japan announces new PDW-F335 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/101956-sony-japan-announces-new-pdw-f335.html)

Ivan Snoeckx August 23rd, 2007 01:16 PM

Sony Japan announces new PDW-F335

Sony Japan has been announcing a new dual layer XDCAM HD camcorder: PDW-F335

Can someone translate this?

Release date october 2007

Greg Boston August 23rd, 2007 01:27 PM

Looks interesting. Obviously, it is the follow on to the F330 as the F355 is to the F350.

Of real interest is what's shown at the bottom. They're calling it continuous clip recording. Something that's been asked for. Basically, it allows you to pause and restart recording without generating a new file like in current versions.

-gb-

Ivan Snoeckx August 23rd, 2007 01:41 PM

It also looks like it is containing the 16:9 high-end 2" viewfinder instead of the crappy 1.5" on the F-330.

Greg Boston August 23rd, 2007 01:44 PM

I've emailed one of my contacts at Sony US. She is of Japanese origin and should be able to translate and/or elaborate.

-gb-

Robert Schemitsch August 23rd, 2007 01:47 PM

I read some specs some weeks ago... Most of the diverences are that the special effects from the 350 (over/undercranking,...) are also available in the SD-Modes, 50GB DL Disks are acepted and it offers a SD-SDI out...

Greeting,
Robert

Alister Chapman August 23rd, 2007 01:50 PM

You get the DXF20W viewfinder, continuous clip record which as Greg said combines multiple takes into a single file. There is also a new find mode that creates thumbnails for each take within a long file. Also a new low noise mode for shooting in low light and dual layer disks. Oh, it's black the same as the F350.

Nate Weaver August 23rd, 2007 02:02 PM

So um, I assume it doesn't have overcranking in HD mode though, right?

If it does, I'm trying to figure out how it deserves the lesser designation of 335.

Greg Boston August 23rd, 2007 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Schemitsch (Post 733154)
I read some specs some weeks ago... Most of the diverences are that the special effects from the 350 (over/undercranking,...) are also available in the SD-Modes, 50GB DL Disks are acepted and it offers a SD-SDI out...

Greeting,
Robert

That applies to the F355, the update to the F350.

This camera is the update to the F330, being dubbed F335. Still available body only, and with an autofocus lens, K and L packages.

As Ivan said, it now gets the same VF as the F350/F355, and offers a low noise mode for recording in lower light levels. Of course it sports the dual-layer disc that's coming in the other new cameras/decks/drive announced at NAB.

BTW, some enhanced functionality is also planned for the existing cameras via firmware upgrades.

-gb-

Nate Weaver August 23rd, 2007 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston (Post 733166)
BTW, some enhanced functionality is also planned for the existing cameras via firmware upgrades.

I would pay, good, big money for a bitrate bump. This is surely doable in software, assuming the processors have the horsepower overhead available.

I hate to say this, but I bet some of the kids reverse-engineering iPhone firmware could get pretty far on this, assuming the MPEG encoding isn't burned in.

Matthew Pugerude August 23rd, 2007 05:24 PM

Translated web page (sort of)

http://translate.google.com/translat...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Well it looks like the 335 will not have the Cinealta label on it. so no 24p either which is fine if all you do is 1080i work. If it has Cache recording that would be great for the outdoor people like me who generally do not use all the functions of the 350 but like to have the options if we want them. one of my biggest complains about the 330 was the viewfinder any way.

Uli Mors August 24th, 2007 01:40 AM

Sony + Ibc

Hi folks,

IŽll be on the IBC in two weeks (Amsterdam, Europes biggest Broadcast exhibition) and have a look on it (I GUESS they show it)

ULI

Robert Schemitsch August 24th, 2007 02:51 AM

Oh, sorry, i've read to quickly and overread the 335... my brain tought me 355...

@ Uli: I wish you lots of fun at the IBC, I have no time :'(... Tell us, what you see! ;)

Uli Mors August 24th, 2007 03:05 AM

I will!

;-)

ULI

Greg Boston August 24th, 2007 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Weaver (Post 733210)
I would pay, good, big money for a bitrate bump.

Well then, have I got a camera for you! Unfortunately, it's not the one you currently own.

I don't see a speed bump coming. I believe the limitation is the hardware encoding chips and the overall speed of the computer. That's the nature of semiconductors. We keep finding ways to make them process more bits within a given slice of time. It's conceivable that the F355 might be able to get a bump, but Sony also has to protect sales of the forthcoming 2/3 camera.

Sony has also told me that there's no way to swap out the disc unit for a dual layer drive. That seems unusual since DVD drives in computers can be swapped for a new dual-layer burner. I've already done that with my iMac.

-gb-

Sean Smith MD August 24th, 2007 09:42 AM

Any idea what the 335 will cost?