DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   transfer back to Prof.Disk (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/107755-transfer-back-prof-disk.html)

Uli Mors November 12th, 2007 07:29 AM

transfer back to Prof.Disk

I am using Vegas 7 & 8 most of the time - so I am not too familiar with other programs that offer transfer via FAM.

I rendered a bunch of short masters and want to write them back to disk.

Is there a way to write several files AT THE SAME TIME back?

Until now I only found a way to write back ONE file at a time.

Any idea?

Thanks

ULI

Steve Cahill November 15th, 2007 04:09 PM

Flip4Mac offers a transfer back to the disc, the PDF is located here:

http://www.flip4mac.com/pdfs/PRO_XDC..._UserGuide.pdf

See the section on transfering media back to
Exporting Media from Final Cut Pro

Flip4Mac XDCAM allows you to export media you’ve rendered as IMX directly out of Final Cut Pro onto an
XDCAM as an MXF file. With Flip4Mac XDCAM installed, a new menu item is added to the Export menu:
• Sony XDCAM (Ethernet)

Simon Wyndham November 16th, 2007 03:47 AM

Quote:

Until now I only found a way to write back ONE file at a time.
Yes. Open the XDCAM disc on the desktop and drag your MXF files to the Clip folder. The camera will refuse other types of files being copied to this folder, but it should work for MXF's as long as they are the same type as the format of the disc.

Uli Mors November 16th, 2007 03:58 AM

HI Simon,

never tried this - IŽll have a try later today, that would help much!

Thanks

ULI

Uli Mors November 19th, 2007 06:20 PM

THAT is EASY...

Thanks for the hint.

Now I can batch render clips from Vegas and simply copy them to Disk for archiving...

ULI

Paul Gale November 25th, 2007 02:33 PM

Will the camera automatically generate the proxy files too - or is that only done when recording?

I guess I shouldn't be so lazy and try it myself... ;)

Greg Boston November 25th, 2007 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Gale (Post 781628)
Will the camera automatically generate the proxy files too - or is that only done when recording?

I guess I shouldn't be so lazy and try it myself... ;)

Yes it will.

-gb-

Paul Gale November 25th, 2007 03:27 PM

Thanks - I guess the U1 will do the same when the write firmware is out?

Greg Boston November 25th, 2007 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Gale (Post 781646)
Thanks - I guess the U1 will do the same when the write firmware is out?

That I don't know. I would presume that to be the case, however. It's kind of an underlying rule of XDCAM that all full res material shall have a proxy file to match.

-gb-

Uli Mors November 26th, 2007 02:51 AM

I guess so. Otherwise you couldnt exchange U1 Masters to other U1 user/studios and use the proxy files...

ULI

Alister Chapman November 26th, 2007 11:32 AM

AFAIK When you write back to a U1 the software on the computer will generate the proxy file.

Paul Gale November 26th, 2007 11:35 AM

I guess that's why the proxy files are 'relatively' poor quality for their large size, compared to say an equivalent wmv/mov etc file - it must be all about speed of creation.

Greg Boston November 26th, 2007 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Gale (Post 782109)
I guess that's why the proxy files are 'relatively' poor quality for their large size, compared to say an equivalent wmv/mov etc file - it must be all about speed of creation.

The proxies are 1/4 the resolution of the full resolution material. They have many uses, one of them being smaller size for web transmission.

-gb-

Uli Mors December 6th, 2007 11:50 AM

strange - today I tried that again (select a bunch of HD mxfs, copy to CLIP folder) with some NTSC 60i footage. Didnt work (Alert).

Copying via Vegas works (so the MXFs do correspond the disks settings)

hm......

Uli Mors December 7th, 2007 03:06 AM

Hi,

yesterday I tried to transfer 8 2Gig MXF Files back at once to disk (CLIP Folder) via Desktop - but only got an Alert Message....
Disk was fresh formatted, but it didnt work.

Transfer via Vegas worked fine.

I am investigating if this is due to a very fresh disk (perhaps not "knowing" the video format yet)

uli