DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   F350 / F355 differences (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/112457-f350-f355-differences.html)

Bjørn Sørensen January 15th, 2008 04:15 PM

F350 / F355 differences

What do you think is the most important new features of the F355 , and
are they worth the difference in price ?

Greg Boston January 15th, 2008 04:25 PM

The F355 is selling for the same price that the F350 originally did, or close to it.

Anyway, there are a lot of differences, but the two that I think are most important would be the dual layer drive and SDSDI.

-gb-

Peter Newsom January 15th, 2008 04:51 PM

I own an F350 (ENG work), which I really like, but if I were to choose today, I would go likely for the 355(depending on the discount) because:
- the ability to grade clips in camera would be useful when you didn't quite nail the exposure or colour balance. However, I can accomplish the same thing with a laptop, though it takes longer.
- longer recording time, although single layer 60 minute disk that 350 has is plenty for my applications. I wonder if the 300 clip limit still applies to the new model.
- latest model, should hold it's value a little longer.

Why I don't feel bad about owning the 350
- same picture quality
- it physically looks the same, so it doesn't look behind the times
- it has already paid for itself and then some

To tell the truth, if I were chosing today, I'd be sorely tempted by the F335, as they added the 2" viewfinder, and changed the colour to black, which I prefer. For what it does, it is an outstanding value.

They are all very good cameras, and when the F700 comes out, the format will really take off. 3xx series owners should benefit, as the picture quality is so good that I doubt many clients will turn their nose up the model number, especially in the broadcast news sectors.

I don't see how you can go wrong no matter what you choose. I just fed some day and night time scenic footage (HDSDI) in a Broadcast HD truck, and they were blown away by the pictures, and they have a fleet of $100k Sony cameras. These cameras punch way above their price point.

Greg Boston January 15th, 2008 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Newsom (Post 808943)
I would go likely for the 355(depending on the discount) because:
- the ability to grade clips in camera would be useful when you didn't quite nail the exposure or colour balance. However, I can accomplish the same thing with a laptop, though it takes longer.

Huh? I must have missed something in the feature set. There's no grading clips in camera that I know of. That would require shooting to some type of RAW format and applying a LUT after the fact.

-gb-

Peter Newsom January 16th, 2008 08:18 AM

Opps, maybe I misunderstood something. I could have sworn that I read about the 355 having a limited ability to grade clips. It was in a peliminary Sony Japan announcement that highlighted the differences between the 350 and the 355. Perhaps my memory has played tricks with me. Sorry for the confusion.

Peter