DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   350 & Ex-1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/113095-350-ex-1-a.html)

Dan Brazda January 24th, 2008 04:17 PM

350 & Ex-1

Had a chance to do side by side with both cams last week. Bottom line IMHO- the two cams cut together perfectly, picture quality being virtually identical. Cost of media on EX-1 is daunting so I won't be buying one soon. EX-1 is a full stop faster than the 350- REALLY nice. Lack of inter-changeable lenses on the EX-1 really bothers me. The lens it comes with is not wide enough for many applications and I'm not a fan of WA adapters. All in all, I'd get one as a B Cam in a heart beat when the media prices drop. Really wish the 350 was a stop faster than it is too.

Steve Cahill January 24th, 2008 07:13 PM

Dan- Check out my Blog, using the EX1 with a 35mm adapater @
http://web.mac.com/stevecahill/Steve...g/Welcome.html

Also Philp Bloom has some really nice stuff @
http://web.mac.com/philip.bloom/Bloo...ooms_Blog.html

2 users with F350's and 2 users with the EX with a adapter on the EX1.

Interesting stuff.

Dan Brazda January 24th, 2008 07:39 PM

Yeah Steve I have seen both sites and info. I have been shooting for over 20 years and the majority of that has been with 35mm film so I'll disclaim the following comments with that info....

Selective depth of field and dynamic range are at the top of my list regarding primo imagery. Both video and digital stills have disappinted me deeply over the years but I am feeling we are finally at a breakthrough (how many remember the Ikegami EC-35?). While I LOVE the Letus approach to cost effective solutions for awesome images in affordable camera packages, I still yearn for the all-in-one flexibilty (latitude/PORTABILITY) of 35mm film BUT at the average man's budget (after all, 35mm film has never been a shoestring budget producer's friend).

In my opinion, "RedOne" is closer than anyone at this point. Yes, it is true that we are not talking about indie-filmmaker/ Prosumer Video camera prices, but I love the no-compromise, somewhat cost-effective approach they are taking.

I want a portable, HD+, video acquisition tool with 35mm film depth of field and dynamic range capabilities in my hands NOW. A lot to ask to be sure as film and video in any flavor are two very different animals. RedOne is the best solution I see on the horizon at this point in time.

Chime in ye anal ones if you have found other all-in-one obscure solutions.....

Steve Cahill January 24th, 2008 07:50 PM

Bingo, Well Stated!

Dan Brazda January 24th, 2008 08:44 PM

Thanks Steve. I'll be at NAB in April camping out in the Red booth. Let me know if you're going and we'll double-team them!

Steve Cahill January 26th, 2008 04:41 PM

It is the only show I try NOT to miss. Hopefully the lines @ the RED will not be long like last year.

Alister Chapman January 26th, 2008 05:39 PM

The F350/F330 - EX1 combo is a good one. They really do match very well. My biggest gripe is that there isn't a 1440x1080 HQ/35mb mode on the EX for better compatibility.

Dimitri Liaos March 3rd, 2008 09:25 AM

Also did a side by side with my 350 and the EX1 some time ago. It is almost a stop faster the EX1, that's true. Concerning image quality I thought my 350 was slightly better.
I don't like the EX1 ergonomics at all though and it's quite difficult to focus with it. Also, the built in Auto Focus I have to say I found unusable in most situations.
Concerning its portability, I am in great doubts, because it will certainly need a shoulder support and with this and that, I felt I don't come to very significant weight gains against carrying my trusted F350 anyway.

Oleg Kalyan March 5th, 2008 03:49 AM

Thank you gentlemen for the info, one question:

1440x1080 HQ/35mb mode and full HD on EX1, how do they differ?
Does Full HD 1920x1080 on EX1 suggest a better quality picture,

how is the latitude on both cameras, are they equal,

I am thinking whether to get one or another...

Thank you!

Dan Brazda March 6th, 2008 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan (Post 837609)
Thank you gentlemen for the info, one question:

1440x1080 HQ/35mb mode and full HD on EX1, how do they differ?
Does Full HD 1920x1080 on EX1 suggest a better quality picture,

how is the latitude on both cameras, are they equal,

I am thinking whether to get one or another...

Thank you!

I found the two cameras to be virtually identical in picture quality other than the fact that the EX-1 is one stop faster. The only thing I don't like about the EX-1 is no interchangeable lens. It's all about the optics.

Uli Mors March 7th, 2008 02:11 AM

Both cameras are matching fine - one stop faster is a benefit, too.

As Alister mentioned, I am missing the HQ1440 x 1080 35Mbit codec as well.

WHY?

There are NLEs that do NOT recompress when using hard-cuts only (as long as long GOP isnt hurt). Mixing XDCAM HD HQ and XDCAM EX1 HQ means you have to define if you are exporting 1440 or 1920.

In either cases your NLE will recompress the non-compatible clips (either from XDCAM HD or EX1).

Offering a compatible 1440x1080 HQ 35mbit would mean: combining both cameras will have same settings in NLE AND offer no-recompress rough & fast editing.

uli

Rick Bronks March 18th, 2008 07:50 AM

F355 and EX1 combos

Hey all.. I am just wondering what people use as their picture profiles and scene files if you use the EX1 and F355/F350 together in a shoot so that they match better?

Also.. if using the EX1 as a second camera, what do you guys do about Final Cut and the different frame sizes produced by the HQ setting on the EX1 against the HQ setting on the other F355/350 cams. I was thinking to shoot all the EX1 not as HQ so that the frame rates are both 1440x1080, but this would mean a bitrate of only 25mbps against 35 on the F355.

Any pointers please people?

Alister Chapman March 18th, 2008 02:07 PM

I just make sure both cameras are set up with the same gamma curves and then white balance them Together. I use the EX in HQ mode and edit using the FCP EX VBR/HQ easy setup with the timeline set to render to HQ Pro-res for most jobs. If I know the output is primarily going back to XDCAM HD then I edit using the appropriate XDCAM 35Mb easy setup. Either way I am getting great results.