DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   Attention to detail.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/115872-attention-detail.html)

Godfrey Kirby February 27th, 2008 09:04 AM

Attention to detail....

I am having problems with my 350 not showing detail when panning or tilting over 'busy' images - e.g. brickwork or paving setts. It is as if the camera loses track of the information and only recovers as the shot comes to rest. This seems to happen whether Interlaced or Progressive mode is being used. On a recent shoot we had an EX1 alongside and it seemed much better in this area - we looked at both on a Grade 1 CRT monitor at the hire house that provided the EX1s. They have just purchased some 355s so I can get back to them to see if they have similar problems, however I was wondering if anybody had noticed the same thing. Maybe the answer is the EX1 chip in the 350.

Thierry Humeau February 27th, 2008 09:55 AM

You should actually see an obvious difference between shooting in interlace and progressive modes. Interlace should handle pans quite better. Progressive 24P can yield pretty ugly results on pans. Also, which quality setting are you using on the camera? 17, 25 or 35mbps? This can greatly affect the pan quality on highly detailed scenes.

Thierry.

Godfrey Kirby February 27th, 2008 10:37 AM

Hi Thierry - I'm using 35mbps and I can see that interlaced is somewhat better than progressive, but it still worries me that a £20K camera has more of an 'issue' than it's £4.5K stablemate. I have -10 set on detail by the way but this seems to have little effect on the 'catch up' problem. I have downloaded the latest versions of firmware but I am wondering if this a problem that can be sorted out or is it an inherent fault of 35mbps/MPEG encoding etc.?

Greg Boston February 27th, 2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godfrey Kirby (Post 834048)
I have downloaded the latest versions of firmware but I am wondering if this a problem that can be sorted out or is it an inherent fault of 35mbps/MPEG encoding etc.?

Did you install the firmware? If so, do you have Noise Reduction turned on? This will cost a slight penalty in resolution to mask the noise.

-gb-

Godfrey Kirby February 27th, 2008 01:35 PM

Thanks Greg - Yes' I had loaded the firmware and I have switched in No.1 position of Noise Reduction. I will have to wait for a bit of daylight to try it out. Fingers crossed.....

Simon Wyndham February 28th, 2008 05:44 AM

Godfrey, you don't say which recording mode you are using (18,25, or 35Mbps?)

Godfrey Kirby March 1st, 2008 11:24 AM

Sorry to be a bit late in posting a reply Simon - have been away from my computer. I am using 35mbps and still having this problem - I have arranged to put my camera alongside a 355 from a friendly hirehouse and see what the problem is. A the moment panning over bare branches on trees is a real no-no. Lets hope it can be sorted out.....

Carroll Lam March 1st, 2008 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston (Post 834112)
Did you install the firmware?

From where can we download the firmware, Greg?

Carroll Lam

Mitchell Skurnik March 1st, 2008 10:33 PM

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=115148

Steve Cahill March 10th, 2008 05:35 PM

What do you have your shutter speed set to?

Godfrey Kirby March 12th, 2008 02:25 PM

Hi Steve - when I first spotted this problem I was shooting 25P and a shutter speed of 1/50th. I havn't had time to put the 350 I own up against a 355 - however I will report back when I do.

Steve Cahill March 12th, 2008 02:58 PM

25P and or 24P is a bit of a challange to shoot, Pans have to be ever so slowly, a snails pace.. and zooms the same, You can step it up a bit by going to 30P and higher and yield better results with faster motion. Depends on the look. I recently did some aerial worked and used slow motion to take out the bumps and it added some smoothness to the shot.