DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   XDCAM audio problem in Vegas Pro 9.0a (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/239794-xdcam-audio-problem-vegas-pro-9-0a.html)

Eugene Kosarovich July 26th, 2009 06:36 PM

XDCAM audio problem in Vegas Pro 9.0a

Just wanted to pass on this caution to anyone here using the new Vegas Pro 9.0a for their NLE with XDCAM clips:

I'm editing XDCAM SD (DVCAM) MXF files. I have clips that are one to two hours long. I discovered that with any of the clips, I will lose a full 15 frames of audio (one GOP) at the following places: 08:55:03, 26:35:10, 44:15:38, and probably others at the same interval multiples.

The audio is gone both in terms of actual sound and in terms of waveform at those points. There may be a slight video glitch there as well, but I couldn't tell since my footage available to test was a talking head without much movement. But I can say in general the video part wasn't missing or anything like that.

I tried this with multiple clips and the dropouts are at the exact same spots.

I verified that rendering out those spots showed the audio dropouts.

I tested the same original clips in the Sony XDCAM Viewer and in Vegas Pro 8.0c, and there was NO missing audio in those spots.

I haven't been able to reproduce this with XDCAM HD MXF clips, only with XDCAM SD (DVCAM) MXF clips.

I'm reporting it to Sony Creative Software, it's a very similar bug to the problem that was in Vegas Pro 8.0c with these same MXF formats till they fixed it with a pair of new dlls.

Alister Chapman July 27th, 2009 01:00 AM

Thanks for the heads up.

One small point is that DV does not use GOP's, it is I frame. So the reason for a 15 frame hole is probably due to something else.

Eugene Kosarovich July 27th, 2009 03:58 AM

Opps, good point! When I saw 15 frames, I was instantly thinking the MPEG-2 GOP length from HDV, which I think is the same length in XDCAM HD.

Thanks for the correction. :)

Bill Ravens July 27th, 2009 06:46 AM

This sounds like the same problem Vegas 9 has with XDCAM 422 codec. It will not import audio properly, nothing but a series of white noise.

Brian Rhodes July 27th, 2009 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ravens (Post 1177219)
This sounds like the same problem Vegas 9 has with XDCAM 422 codec. It will not import audio properly, nothing but a series of white noise.

I shot a wedding in 60p had the same problem with Vegas 9 with my EDCAM EX footage..

Uli Mors July 30th, 2009 06:15 AM

Hi,

I forwarded this report to R&D in Madison, but didnt get a reply yet.

IŽll keep you updated.

Regards

Uli

Eugene Kosarovich August 28th, 2009 10:21 PM

Vegas Pro 9.0b lists this bug as fixed. And so far my tests confirm this. Note that this is only the XDCAM SD (DVCAM-mode) one that I'm talking about, not the ones others mentioned.

Alister Chapman August 30th, 2009 02:25 PM

Thanks for the update Eugene.