DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   F350 and Nanoflash (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/478799-f350-nanoflash.html)

Godfrey Kirby May 16th, 2010 10:56 AM

F350 and Nanoflash

I am very pleased with the improvement the Nanoflash recorder has made to my F350 but uncertain what the HD-SDI is outputing. With this camera, is the HD-SDI output 'pre' or 'post' the user set ups? My Sony monitor always says PAL 50I even when 50P is selected via the menu in the camera, which would point to the encoding happening just before the disc recorder and after the HD-SDI out and therefore after the Nanoflash.
Any help most welcome....

Alister Chapman May 16th, 2010 11:05 AM

The SDi output is post scene files etc but pre encoder. The reason why the NanoFlash sees the progressive modes as interlace is because for maximum industry compatibility the progressive signal is output as PsF (Progressive Segmented Frames). This is common practice and basically uses a signal that looks like an interlace signal to carry the progressive frames.

In the NanoFlash video options you can tell the NanoFlash that what it is getting is PsF by checking the PsF input box. The Nano will then tag the clips as progressive. Be warned however that if you then shoot interlace, the NanoFlash will still tag the interlaced footage as progressive and this will give you big problems. Leaving the PsF box un checked on the other hand won't normally present any issues as a PsF clip tagged as interlace will still playback correctly in most cases.

Godfrey Kirby May 16th, 2010 11:59 AM

Thanks Alister for speedy reply re. NanoFlash. Here's another question, while I have your ear. If one was to use a 2/3'' zoom with the F350 which lens would you go for? I have an adapter to fit the lens to the 1/2'' mount. It could be a case of hiring in the lens when needed for a specific job.
Regards - Godfrey

Alister Chapman May 17th, 2010 02:27 PM

Depends what you need to shoot. Do you need long focal length or a wide angle, do you need a large zoom range or not. The Canon HJ's are nice as are the Fujinon HA's, but they are not cheap. At the budget end of the HD lens spectrum they are often no better than high end SD lenses IMHO.

Paul Cronin May 19th, 2010 06:34 AM

I will have to disagree with Alister on the lens choice. I tested Canon HJ, Fujinon HA and ZA and both the HA and ZA were better then the HJ in sharpness and CA. Don't sell the ZA short it was tested by me and other experienced shooters to offer the same optics as the HA.

David Hart June 20th, 2010 04:50 AM

HA v ZA

Hi Paul, I own an A13x4.5 that i have used on the Sony PMW-350, the lens is ok for non commercial/broadcast work in HD however I am looking for a HA or ZA.

The HA14 is just sillly money when the ZA sounds good VFM. I can't find any technical information on the Fujinon range, I'm aware that you have done some testing so I was wondering if you are aware what the optical and physical differences are between the ZA12x4.5 and the HA13/14, it's said "you get what you pay for".

The Fujinon HD lens supplied with the 350 is ok as "my first HD lens" but has a slow focus ring and we all know what that means when trying to snap focus.

The Canon HD's are cheaper but it means having a remote zoom for both makes.

Regards, David

Paul Cronin June 20th, 2010 06:52 AM

Dave go here so we don t hijack a thread.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...s-za-lens.html

Uli Mors June 21st, 2010 02:39 AM

@alister:

is there a way to set the nanoflash to 720p50 and record the F350s SDI out into that format?

THanks

Uli

Alister Chapman June 29th, 2010 12:43 AM

Haven't used an F350 for a while, but if I remember right it only outputs 1080, so there would be no way to record 720P with the Nanoflash as it does not have any scaling functionality.

Simon Denny June 29th, 2010 01:19 AM

Hi Godfrey,
I use a F350 and was wondering about attaching a Nano to it and hopefully getting some better images out of the F350.

My question to you is:
Has the Nano produced better images?
Have you had any problems with recording to the Nano from the F350?
What bitrate are you recording to on the Nano?

What are you editing on?

Can you post a still with a shot taken from the internal disc and the Nano so I see the difference in bitrates from the F350 and the Nano?

Thanks

David Heath June 29th, 2010 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1543373)
Haven't used an F350 for a while, but if I remember right it only outputs 1080, ...........

Are you sure? It will certainly downscale and record 720p internally - it would seem strange if it didn't then output that over HD-SDI at the same time?

Doug Jensen June 29th, 2010 05:40 PM

Sorry David, the F350 doesn't record 720P internally, therefore it cannot output it either. There are no 720 modes on the F3xx series.
You might be thinking of the newer PMW-350.

The F800 and 700 do have 720P modes.

David Heath June 30th, 2010 02:42 AM

Quote:

You might be thinking of the newer PMW-350.
Doh! You are, of course, absolutely correct. (Who thinks up the names for these cameras - are they deliberately trying to create confusion?)

Alister Chapman June 30th, 2010 04:07 AM

Your not going to see much difference in a still frame between a NanoFlash and F350, unless there is a lot of rapid motion in the shot. The NanoFlash will not improve the quality of the camera, only the recordings it makes. The biggest difference a NanoFlash makes is in post production where you can manipulate the material more aggressively before serious image degradation takes place.