DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   XDCAM shot gun 3 pin to 5 pin XLR (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/489053-xdcam-shot-gun-3-pin-5-pin-xlr.html)

Paul Cronin December 17th, 2010 01:32 PM

XDCAM shot gun 3 pin to 5 pin XLR

I need to find IN STOCK a 3 pin XLR female to 5 pin XLR male 18" long for my PMW-500 shot gun mic.

Why does Sony not give this cable with the camera?

There are 6" cables by Hosa in stock but they won't reach. And a 3 pin to 5 pin adapter is too long my hand would hit it while on the lens, and the Sony one at B&H is two to three weeks out.

Anyone know where I can find one in stock?

Daniel Epstein December 17th, 2010 02:56 PM

Paul,
Those are hard to find. You may want to try and buy a y cable so you run another source into the second channel which you don't need for the camera mic you are using is Mono. I was in a shoot in Omaha and the rental unit we had had the cable you described but that was it. Try calling Professional Sound in NYC 212-586-1033 for a custom made cable. They usually have fast turnaround but this week you never know

Paul Cronin December 17th, 2010 03:19 PM

Daniel you are spot on with great advice.

Very nice women helped me out in 2 minutes and seem to know her stuff. They will make the cable on Monday at the length I requested and it is the same price as B&H which said weeks.

Thank You, you made it easy.

Daniel Epstein December 17th, 2010 04:02 PM

Your welcome. Years of shopping for this stuff helps. Get in touch with me if you want to get some coffee sometime when you are in NYC. My office is very near Abel

Rick L. Allen December 17th, 2010 07:44 PM

You can also make your own cable with Neutrik connectors.

Sony 5 pin XLR wiring
Pin
1 Gnd Common
2 Left + hot
3 Left - cold
4 Right + hot
5 Right - cold

Paul Cronin December 18th, 2010 09:23 AM

Hi Daniel,

It is amazing how time we spend at research with new gear purchase, I enjoy it. One of the many reasons DVinfo is great with all the information sharing. Next time I am going to Abel I will send you an email, be nice to hook up for coffee. I normally take the train to Penn and taxi to Abel. Of course in one direction I walk to B&H for a look around and visit the used dept.

Thanks Rick.

Uli Mors December 20th, 2010 01:41 AM

good you found a way to get it fast.

It was one of my first purchases too. I also ordered a playout cable (XLR5 male to 2x XLR3 female) to have a way to play out audio (sometimes I use the camera as a playout/preview deck when playing HD files at a customer).

Yes, Sony should include these cables with the camera...

ULi

Anton Strauss December 22nd, 2010 06:36 AM

I made my own cable as well

and another thing to remember, the original Sony Mic has an unusual diameter, and your new XLR Mic will not have the same and I bet it will pick up the spinning noise of the XDCAM disk, been there done that

the Sony Mic holder has been calibrated for the Sony Mic diameter, so I run a couple of layers of gaffer tape on a RODE Mic to make it the same diameter

Paul Cronin December 22nd, 2010 07:14 AM

Anton good point on the mic holder.

I use a NTG-3 Rode shotgun which is a lot smaller. I would not use gaffer tape here, I don't think it is the right product since it transfers too much vibration. I buy sheets of 1/16" think isolation foam with sticky back side covered in paper from McMasterCarr in the US. This way you cut it to the size you like and wrap it around the mic. Nice isolation and makes a perfect fit.

I never had a problem with my F800 and the disk noise, even in my soundproof, dry acoustic room. But I don't have to worry about that with this camera since the PMW-500 is SxS.

Paul Cronin December 22nd, 2010 04:01 PM

Cable arrived today very nice job.

Ugh now I have to find a mic holder that screws onto the side of the C35W VF. I tried using an extra EX1 mic holder but it broke today just cheap plastic. Also have been trying to get Abel to hunt one but down but it seems like a hard chase at pre holiday time.

Anyone know where to buy one? I can't seem to find it on-line?

Doug Jensen December 22nd, 2010 06:34 PM

Paul,

You really need to get a Sony CAC-12 mic holder that screws into the body of the camera.
I would not recommend attaching a microphone to the C35W even if you can figure out a way to do it.

Paul Cronin December 23rd, 2010 07:13 AM

Thanks Doug I will order that today.

Anton Strauss December 24th, 2010 04:35 AM

I have a brand new one here that I will never need, can have if for half new price

Paul Cronin December 27th, 2010 03:55 PM

Sorry Anton I purchased a new one delivered for $40. I bet if you put up a ad someone will pick it up.

Patrick McLoad February 18th, 2011 11:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I too will not use gaffers tape rolled around a mic for it to fit the holder. I've got many foam windscreens from a multitude of obsolete shotgun mics. I simply snipped an inch off one of them; slipped it onto the new mic, and mounted in the mic holder. Seems to work fine without having to resort to tape.

However, I decided to try using the Rode Shockmount 5 (ROSM5); about 50 bucks from B&H. I have not field tested this on a job yet, and it will probably turn out to be
a pain to deal with as the mic won't fit in my PortaBrace bag without some disassembly. Possibly over the top and too much crap on the camera.

Patrick McLoad

Patrick McLoad February 18th, 2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Epstein (Post 1599595)
Paul,
Those are hard to find. Try calling Professional Sound in NYC 212-586-1033 for a custom made cable. They usually have fast turnaround but this week you never know

Thanks for the tip Daniel, I think I'll have one (or two) made by Pro Sound myself. I can make my own cables, but it just takes so much time to do so. I'm using a Rode NTG-2, and running a cable to the back of my 350....I just don't like the way it looks and too easy to snag on something.

Patrick