proxy workflow for PXW-Z450 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old August 26th, 2019, 11:55 AM   #1
Tourist

proxy workflow for PXW-Z450

Hi everyone,

I work as a DIT for a documentary show that has used the Sony F800 as the main cam for shooting. My supervisor has floated the idea of moving over to the Sony PXW-Z450 as it can shoot 4K and has updated specs all around. However, the problem is that the Z450 manual seems to state that proxies can only be recorded on a separate SD card, whereas with the old F800, the proxies were recorded internally on the XDCAM disk.

In my mind, this could pose an issue if the camera assistants forget to simultaneously change both SxS and SD cards in the Z450 when starting a new roll. I could easily see proxy cards not matching the HD originals and causing a nightmare in post.

So my question is: can the Z450 record proxies directly on the SxS card used for high res? If not, is there a similar camera which can?
Evan Rensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2019, 05:07 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: proxy workflow for PXW-Z450

Paging Mr. Doug Jensen...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2019, 06:04 PM   #3
Vortex Media

Well, we've never used proxies for any of the shows I've worked on with the Z450 so I can't speak from first-hand knowledge, but I'm pretty sure that you are correct that proxies can only be recorded to SD cards. In my opinion, this is good. I think having the proxies on their own media (ordinary SD cards) provides a much better workflow than having them stored on the optical disks or SxS cards.

But the bigger question is, does it matter? Say that the AC does forget to swap SD cards when swapping SxS cards, the files names, timecode, etc. will still match between the big files and the proxies, so what difference would it make if they were matched card-to-card or not? If it was up to me, I'd just use one SD card for the whole day no matter how many SxS cards were used. It seems to me that would be the least complicated method for post if all the proxies for the whole day were stored together.

BTW, now that word of the Z750 has leaked out via China I can speak a little about it without violating my NDA. The Z750 takes the Z450 to a higher level with three 4K CMOS 2/3" chips (instead of a single chip), global shutter, some new codecs, improved signal to noise for lowlight, and other imrproved specifications. It won't be shipping until after the first of the year, but it might be worth waiting for if you are not ready to put the F800s out to pasture just yet. I saw it at NAB and I can't wait to get my hands on one next month. I'm thinking this may replace my F55 as my primary camera. An ENG camera like this will fit my day-to-day needs much better than the big sensor cinema cameras could ever dream of.
Old August 26th, 2019, 06:09 PM   #4
Tourist

Thanks for this information, Doug!
Evan Rensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2019, 06:51 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Good to know. Many thanks, Doug!

Evan: I don't know the Sony camcorders, at least nowhere near as much as Doug, however I do the Canons and the same thing is correct, that proxies can be recorded to SD card only (and not the primary flash media). So it would make sense that Sony does it the same way.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts