DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   White Balance (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/74528-white-balance.html)

Andy Walton August 30th, 2006 08:24 AM

White Balance

I am new to the 350, also new to the electronic filters. I filmed in anger on Saturday and had some interesting white balance issues. I will be uploading som SD downressed footage tomorrow and will see what the actual colour shift is, but basically most looks a little green. I was using cine gamma 2 and cine matrix, manual white balance with a black balance at the start and middle of the day. The weather was nixed cloudy and sunny intervals, I also shot inside daylight corrected lights.

Any ideas?

Andy

Simon Wyndham August 31st, 2006 02:43 AM

What kind of lens were you using? Also, did you use DCC?

Andy Walton August 31st, 2006 03:56 AM

white balance

Hi Simon, I used a SD 12x4.8 1/2 in industrial lens. It actually looks really good on SD output from the camera. I didn't use DCC. I looked again at the footage, the indoor stuff looks fine, the outdoor looks a bit green/yellow in the blacks. It looks much better on the proxy files on my VAIO laptop. I used DVRack last night to look at the scopes, the blacks were slightly shifted to yellow/green, better after a black balance. In the manual it suggests black balancing much more frequently than I ever have on my DSR-570.

Simon Wyndham August 31st, 2006 04:10 AM

You shouldn't need to keep black balancing. Modern cameras are pretty good at holding it for a good while.

Sounds like the setup of the camera might be a bit goofy. Nothing a good set of chip and colour charts, a waveform monitor, and a delve into the setup menus can't sort out.

For software scopes I'd recommend Hamlets Vidscope software over DVrack for camera setup. Its much more comprehensive and as good as their hardware scopes. You will be able to display the seperate RGB components over one another to ensure that they are all aligned in the blacks (and indeed across the full range).

Although having said that I was using a SD J11 on a shoot with the F330 and there is a strange colour cast on that towards 'green' that I am having difficulty removing.

AFAIAC there is no substitute for using a dedicated high def lens with these cameras no matter what some people would have you believe.

Alister Chapman September 1st, 2006 10:38 AM

If you can actually get hold of a 1/2inch HD lens! I have had a Canon 20x6.4 on order for a month now and there is still no sign of it.

At this point in time would not recommend using a 2/3 inch HD lens over a good half inch SD lens. The 2/3 inch lenses just don't seem to have the resolving power for the smaller chips.

Simon Wyndham September 1st, 2006 02:01 PM

I'd get chasing your supplier, or Canon!

I didn't find any issues with the 2/3" glass. Although obviously equipment that is designed for it would be best.

Nate Weaver September 1st, 2006 06:38 PM

I shot my big thing the other month with Canon J9x4.5s...been looking at the footage all month on my broadcast HD CRT, and it seems great. Big surprise.

That lens IS a $22k SD lens, though!