DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   My XDCAM HD firewire R.I.P.? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/86710-my-xdcam-hd-firewire-r-i-p.html)

Phil Bloom February 16th, 2007 03:37 PM

My XDCAM HD firewire R.I.P.?

After all my Mac firewire problems and realising it was down to a bad firewire lead or two, or three...chewed by my cat I now cannot get the XDCAM to be recognised by any of my Macs either in FAM mode or AV/C.

Any ideas?

My DSR works fine as does my JVC so its not the leads or the computer's firewire.

Vincent Rozenberg February 16th, 2007 04:15 PM

Final test suggestion: connect the XDCAM AV/C (dv) mode with your JVC and see if that's gonna give you DV input.

Phil Bloom February 16th, 2007 05:38 PM

Hi Vincent

Tried it...nothing!

I think I may have to call up Sony on Monday. Very annoying! supposed to be doing some on location shooting and editing on Monday.

Phil

Matthias Koehler February 17th, 2007 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom
Any ideas?

Perhaps death caused by static electricity? You always should use the Kramer PT 1 FW to avoid that. Firewire is very sensitive against static electricity.

Matthias

Phil Bloom February 20th, 2007 04:14 PM

its gone in today under warranty. miss it already

Christopher Witz February 20th, 2007 07:14 PM

hey phil.... or is it "Mr. Warranty" now?

do you by chance have Linoleum floors in your edit room?

and do you get your finger zapped when you switch on the lights on the wall?

I had a studio that had this problem... ripped up the linoleum, laid carpet, and problem solved.... I ruined a few sticks of ram before I figured it out.

Phil Bloom February 21st, 2007 09:22 AM

just call me Electro...i think it was blown same time as the macpro by the same dodgy firewire cable. Just not used the ingest for a while so hadn't noticed!

Bob Willis February 21st, 2007 10:21 AM

Hi Phil,
Did you happen to connect a bus powered hard drive to your Mac while you had the camera connected. In the F350 manual it states (p.27) that you should power off all equipment when you connect the camera to a computer that also uses a bus powered hard drive (equipment powered through the ilink cable).

I've also wondered that if it also applies to usb powered devices as well.

It states that if a bus powered hard drive or similar device is connected to the computer while the power is on that it can cause a shift in current flow that could damage the computer or camcorder.

Phil Bloom February 24th, 2007 03:46 AM

no i didnt

the reason it happened was a faulty firewire cable that had been slightly chewed by my cat!

Bob Willis February 24th, 2007 10:33 AM

Didn't read your first post with enough care. I'm always a little scared of a short on those 6 pin firewire cables. Sorry to hear you had all that trouble.