DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   Upgrading Firmware (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/87355-upgrading-firmware.html)

Dan Brazda February 23rd, 2007 10:19 AM

Upgrading Firmware

Trying to Upgrade F70 to 1.56. Seem to be doing everything right:

-Folder on 16MB Memory Stick is MSSONY/PRO/XDCAM/PDWF70
-File inside is F70PK.ROM
-Insert Stick in F70
-Access Maintenance Menu
-Choose Others
-It shows current software but when I go to hit SHIFT and SET together nothing happens.

Any ideas?

William Osorio February 24th, 2007 02:27 AM

what's your F70 software version??

If the courrent version is 1.56 don't need to upgrade, but if the F70 have PKG-1.00-1.16 then from the point you go stuck follow this.......

Read the phrases "while holding shift button" "click set button"

NO AT THE SAME TIME........... .

While holding the “SHIFT” button click the “SET” button. The display will now show you the current version that is in your system and what is load onto the memory stick that could be downloaded into your system. To proceed with the update of the software press the “SET” button.

The menu will change to indicate the progress of the upgrade. First it will read the new software from the memory stick (LOADING). Then the display will change to “WRITING” the software. The progress is always will be displayed, however the progress of the % is not linear and usually shows down at 84% due to the writing of various EE ROMs or PLDs. The entire software upgrade process of reading and writing the software will take between 15 minutes to 25 minutes. Do not turn power off during this process otherwise the software could become corrupted. Do not panic if the display remains of “Writing : 84% for several minutes (even as long as 10 minutes) as this is normal.

The display will change to show “UPDATE COMPLETE !!” when the software upgrade from the memory stick has completed. If this does not happen with a 25 minute period refer to the appendix 1.

Now Cycle the power to the system to OFF wait a few seconds for complete power down and then back ON. Go to the Software version page (refer to step 13) and verify the PCKG has been upgraded to the version you were upgrading to.

This completes the software upgrade, unless you have an Ethernet option card installed and this may also need a software upgrade. Refer to the Technical memo for feature improvement and bug fixes and well as the readme first document.

Good luck!
You can do it!

William Osorio

Dan Brazda February 26th, 2007 07:36 AM

Thanks William but I am indeed holding the shift key and then pressing the set key briefly. Still no go. I'm wondering if it is not reading the folder on the memory stick even though I named it correctly. Does the Memory Stick itself need to be named or just the folder with the proper file in it? I'm working with a Mac too with regard to naming the Memory Stick and its contents- any of you see any quirks with Macs vs PCs regarding Memory Sticks?

William Osorio February 26th, 2007 01:54 PM

Dan, you need to format the memory stick in the F70 first, folders will be created by default, after that just transfer the upgrade files to their respective folder.

William Osorio.

Dan Brazda February 26th, 2007 02:52 PM

Thanks again William. Didn't know it needed to be formatted in the F70. Do you do that in the Maintenance Menu as well?

William Osorio February 26th, 2007 04:03 PM

yes it should be there i think it is the last option from maintenance menu

Dan Brazda February 27th, 2007 07:13 AM

I'm out of town until Thursday. I'll give it a shot then. Thanks again for your help William.

Dan Brazda March 1st, 2007 07:24 AM

I don't see anywhere in the Maintenance Menu that allows you to format the Memory Stick.

Andy Mees March 1st, 2007 07:50 AM

MAINTENANCE MENU > OTHERS > MS FORMAT

unless of course this is a feature only enabled in an already firmware upgraded machine

Dan Brazda March 1st, 2007 08:57 AM

Thgere is no option for MS Format on my deck. I have Version 1.14, do I need an intermediary upgrade before going to 1.56?

Dan Brazda March 1st, 2007 09:17 AM

Got it! I formatted the MS in another deck that was already upgraded to 1.56 and then it worked fine on my deck. Thanks all.

Greg Boston March 1st, 2007 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brazda (Post 633962)
Got it! I formatted the MS in another deck that was already upgraded to 1.56 and then it worked fine on my deck. Thanks all.

Dan, I'm glad you got it, but it's also a little disturbing to me. What if you didn't have another deck that was already updated? You'd still be stuck unable to upgrade the firmware. That doesn't sound right and I'm thinking some other solution was overlooked even after reading through the thread.

-gb-

Andy Mees March 1st, 2007 09:24 AM

I think the stick could have been formatted to MS-DOS in a PC and then manually create the directory structure ... latter firmware provided the means to do it automagically

this from a Sony rep
Quote:

Subject: F70 firmware upgrade

Please check the Directory structure in the memory stick
The ROM file 'F70pk.rom' must be put into the correct folder in the memory stick as \MSSONY\PRO\XDCAM\PDWF70

I believe that if you extract the ZIP file at the root directory of the memory stick, these directory would be made automatically.

Dan Brazda March 6th, 2007 09:02 AM

Yeah Greg, it was mostly my error based of my Mac mentality. When I formatted the memory stick on a USB card reader/writer on my Mac I failed to label the Memory Stick itself "MSSONY" and then the subsequent folders after that (I had the directory path correct it's just that I started on the first folder inside the Memory Stick icon). The whole Sony/PC mentality is so foreign to me that when I see request for a proper "directory path" my brain shuts down. Formatting the memory stick in the deck itself takes the thinking away from you.

Greg Boston March 6th, 2007 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brazda (Post 636875)
Yeah Greg, it was mostly my error based of my Mac mentality. When I formatted the memory stick on a USB card reader/writer on my Mac I failed to label the Memory Stick itself "MSSONY" and then the subsequent folders after that (I had the directory path correct it's just that I started on the first folder inside the Memory Stick icon). The whole Sony/PC mentality is so foreign to me that when I see request for a proper "directory path" my brain shuts down. Formatting the memory stick in the deck itself takes the thinking away from you.

Ok, I see. Yeah, the reason they do that is because the existing firmware in the camera looks for a specific file in a specific directory tree. You should have been able to create it on the Mac. I certainly did.

-gb-