DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   Can I send XDCAM HD MXF files on a HD? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/88180-can-i-send-xdcam-hd-mxf-files-hd.html)

Thierry Humeau March 5th, 2007 02:22 PM

Can I send XDCAM HD MXF files on a HD?

Hi,

I am shooting an interview for a client in Canada that does not have a XDCAM HD deck but uses FCPro. Can I copy the hires files from the XDCAM HD disc "Clip" directory onto a HD and send them the HD? Will they be able to import those in FCP?

Thanks.

Thierry.

Emanuel Altenburger March 5th, 2007 03:35 PM

I donīt see why not. I just recently copied the MXF data from my XDCAM HD onto an external hard drive, took it with me and imported it into Avid. I donīt know how FCP handles this but I guess it would convert the MXF files into FCP files just as it does when directly ingesting the files from the camera.

Kick me if Iīm wrong:-)

Greg Boston March 5th, 2007 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau (Post 636364)
Can I copy the hires files from the XDCAM HD disc "Clip" directory onto a HD and send them the HD? Will they be able to import those in FCP?

Yes Thierry, that's exactly how I deliver to one of the producers here locally. He hands me a Maxtor One Touch and I grab all 4 directories from the disc and copy them to a folder on the drive labeled Disc 1, Disc 2, etc.

He can then use XDCAM Transfer to import the proxies and hi res files as if he had the camera or deck sitting there.

Your other option if you have time, is to use XDCAM Transfer to select all the clips and batch import them to a folder on the hard drive. At that point, the client will have ready to edit QT files as long as they have FCP 5.1.2 or later in order to have all the necessary XDCAM codecs.

-gb-

Thierry Humeau March 5th, 2007 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston (Post 636431)
Yes Thierry, that's exactly how I deliver to one of the producers here locally. He hands me a Maxtor One Touch and I grab all 4 directories from the disc and copy them to a folder on the drive labeled Disc 1, Disc 2, etc.

He can then use XDCAM Transfer to import the proxies and hi res files as if he had the camera or deck sitting there.

Your other option if you have time, is to use XDCAM Transfer to select all the clips and batch import them to a folder on the hard drive. At that point, the client will have ready to edit QT files as long as they have FCP 5.1.2 or later in order to have all the necessary XDCAM codecs.

-gb-

Ok, Thanks guys. I dont' use FTP so I was not sure about this. By the way, an other quicky on FTP... After you have edited a XDCAM HD project with FCP and deleted the media, Is there an easy way to batch re-import the XDCAM HD clips used in the sequence? Do you have to use the XDCAM transfer tool assuming you have not delete the clip list for this project in the transfer tool? If the clip list was delete in the Transfer tool what do you do?

Thanks.

Thierry.

Andy Mees March 6th, 2007 07:11 AM

not at this time with the current version of XDCAM Transfer ... there is no way to import any externally generated shot list.

whilst we expect promising new features to be delivered at NAB, there are no firm guarantees that this will be one of them, at this time of year we are in the cruel hands of fate ... as always, ain't nobody syaing nothing immediately pre NAB.

Thierry Humeau March 6th, 2007 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Mees (Post 636817)
not at this time with the current version of XDCAM Transfer ... there is no way to import any externally generated shot list.

whilst we expect promising new features to be delivered at NAB, there are no firm guarantees that this will be one of them, at this time of year we are in the cruel hands of fate ... as always, ain't nobody syaing nothing immediately pre NAB.

So you mean that even if you still have the list of imported clips in the XDCAM Transfer Tool but no media, you would need to recapture the clips from the list and manually re-edit them into your sequence?

Thierry.

Nate Weaver March 6th, 2007 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau (Post 636844)
So you mean that even if you still have the list of imported clips in the XDCAM Transfer Tool but no media, you would need to recapture the clips from the list and manually re-edit them into your sequence?

Thierry.

You would have to manually re-capture the media, keeping track of all clips you need.

Assuming you did this correctly, re-connecting those clips would be easy.

FCP's online re-capture capability is only aware of it's own batch capture tool, so XDCAM re-capture is not in the cards at the moment. Praying FCP6 @NAB takes care of this.