DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   New Peaking Controls (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/98074-new-peaking-controls.html)

Matthew Ernest Adams July 2nd, 2007 10:41 PM

New Peaking Controls

Anyone have any tips on how/why to use the adjustable horizontal and vertical peaking that is added to the menu with the most recent upgrade?

Richard Lesser July 3rd, 2007 03:13 PM

Good Question. I to hope someone can help.

Matthew Ernest Adams July 11th, 2007 09:34 AM

So was I. Anyone?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Lesser (Post 706588)
Good Question. I to hope someone can help.

Matthew Ernest Adams July 21st, 2007 10:12 AM

One more bump ...

... to see if anyone knows about the new peaking controls. I know what they do, I am just curious at to why you'd need horizontal/vertical control?

Thierry Humeau July 21st, 2007 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Ernest Adams (Post 706238)
Anyone have any tips on how/why to use the adjustable horizontal and vertical peaking that is added to the menu with the most recent upgrade?

Matthew,

I just left all the settings to their default values after upgrading the camera firmware and am just pleased the improvements. The biggest change I see is that the peaking adujstment is easier to control than before because it is less sensitive.

Thierry.

Grigory Volovich July 21st, 2007 12:18 PM

Sorry for horrific english.

Peaking operate like aperture correction.
In VF aperture correction has constant ratio between horizontal and vertical aperture correction (AC)
Horizontal AC simply raise amplitude on definite frequency, like tone correction on sound amplifier.
Vertical AC raise amplitude in line on the basis of correlation (ratio) between values of amplitude line by line.
Very similar to unsharp mask.

Main aim for use separate Horizontal and Vertical AC - take maximum thin outline (contour) or precision focus in VF.

Matthew Ernest Adams July 22nd, 2007 09:46 PM

thanks

Thanks for the information...I realize what the tool is used for, but what is the purpose of having such specific control other than increasing and decreasing the peaking?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grigory Volovich (Post 716293)
Sorry for horrific english.

Peaking operate like aperture correction.
In VF aperture correction has constant ratio between horizontal and vertical aperture correction (AC)
Horizontal AC simply raise amplitude on definite frequency, like tone correction on sound amplifier.
Vertical AC raise amplitude in line on the basis of correlation (ratio) between values of amplitude line by line.
Very similar to unsharp mask.

Main aim for use separate Horizontal and Vertical AC - take maximum thin outline (contour) or precision focus in VF.

Grigory Volovich July 23rd, 2007 02:19 AM

Apparently, in such a way, we make more observable very thin details. At least in theory.
At least in theory, also, you need tune up ratio between horizontal and vertical peaking and
after that gently rotate peaking on VF ( according to composition of scene ).Very funny.
In practice...In God We Trust.