DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hard-drive-memory-card-recorders/)
-   -   Sony S270 CF card issues (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hard-drive-memory-card-recorders/237715-sony-s270-cf-card-issues.html)

John Harding June 21st, 2009 06:41 AM

Sony S270 CF card issues

Hi all - I have 2 S270s and frequently the CF card (Sandisk Extreme III 32GB) fails to rec when the REC button pressed. Tape record function is fine - any ideas please? Also, as Sony do not apparently recommend anything larger than a 16GB CF card, what brands and sizes of CF card are other members using for this camera or its smaller sibling the Z7?

Thanks in advance for your time

Richard Hunter June 21st, 2009 05:01 PM

Hi John. The main problem I have seen is that there is a delay between stopping a recording and the unit becoming available again. If you try to start a new recording before the red light turns green, you can get interruptions or even no recording at all to the CF card. As long as I take care to wait for the green light, the unit works great.

Oh, and I also did not have much luck with cache mode, so I stopped using it very soon after getting the unit.

BTW, I am using Kingston Transcend 32GB 133x cards and they work fine.

Richard

John Harding June 22nd, 2009 09:52 AM

Thanks Richard - I wasn't aware there WAS a green light! I have only seen the red one, when recording, however the unit is on the 'blind' side of the camera so I never really see what is happening

You might have something there, as I recall on THIS occasion, the 2nd half of the show I was recording started without warning so the camera went on and I immediately pressed REC so as not to miss the curtain up.

If this was indeed the case, perhaps I was a little too fast for the MRC 1 to stabilise. Yet something else to think about when using the camera!

So you say no probs whatsoever with the Transcend cards? This brand keeps popping up in recommendations and they are perhaps one of the cheapest brands out there!

If I decide to keep the camera I might well give one a try - where do you but yours?

Thanks again

Richard Hunter June 22nd, 2009 05:09 PM

Hi John. Yes give it a try and see if it helps.

I buy my CF cards locally in Singapore, which probably isn't very useful for you to know. :)

Richard

Greg Laves June 22nd, 2009 09:34 PM

John, for my Z7/MRC1 I have 2 - Transcend 16 g. 300x cards, 1 - Sandisk Ultra III 8 g card and the supplied Sony card. The only problems I have experienced were all operator induced. I supposed I should have read the manual but the wise folks on here got me straightened out.

Chris Duke October 8th, 2009 01:21 PM

Is there any advantage to using anything faster than 133x cards? Amazon is currently selling the "Kingston Elite Pro 32 GB 133x CompactFlash Memory Card CF/32GB-S2" for $75 and I'm thinking of buying two for my MRC1K. Any reason why these shouldn't work?

Sony's manual says you get 72 mins on a 16gb, so doubling that to 144min on a 32gb is more desirable, and the price is right.

Adam Gold October 9th, 2009 01:15 PM

I've got a couple of those and they seem to record just fine so far... got mine at NewEgg for about the same price.

Chris Duke October 9th, 2009 01:22 PM

Adam, thanks for the reply! They are on the way...