DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hard-drive-memory-card-recorders/)
-   -   (2) 16 vs one 32 gb Transcend (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hard-drive-memory-card-recorders/239102-2-16-vs-one-32-gb-transcend.html)

Melvin Baggs July 15th, 2009 07:01 PM

(2) 16 vs one 32 gb Transcend

I purchased a 16gb sony cf card for $400 with my Z5U and MRC1.

Is that card any better than the 16gb Transcend cf card for $50 ??

Is this a live and learn or read "DV info" before purchasing example??, cause if it is then I really feel taken by the "brand name" bandit.

I need a new card to take with me on vacation to make sure that I have enough recording media. Any suggestions on which to purchase a 32 gb or two 16 gb cards? Why?

Melvin

Kevin Walsh July 15th, 2009 08:57 PM

The $50 card may give you problems, but the 16Gb Transcend card (class 6 300X) for $150 works like a charm. I've been using them since they first came out with no problems.

Stelios Christofides July 16th, 2009 01:20 AM

Melvin

I also have the Sony 16Gb card but I also purchased 2 32GB Transcend 133x High CF-32GB-133X CDW 1 fro 99.98 each from TS32GCF133 32GB CompactFlash Card 133x Retail, Transcend, CDW, TS32GCF133 - MemoryTen
I have used them (the Transcent ones) in 2 weddings, 2 christenings and one presentation so far with no problems at all, with my Sony Z5.

Stelios

Melvin Baggs July 16th, 2009 08:47 AM

Thank You Kevin and Stelios for your quick response.

With your help I've decided on the 32gb x133 card.

One other question does the speed of the card refer to the capture or download of data?

Melvin

Clint Martin July 16th, 2009 01:08 PM

I have 4 of these and have never had a problem with any of them. Plus the price it right. They also have a 32 gig for 80.00
FRYS.com*|*KINGSTON

Stelios Christofides July 16th, 2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melvin Baggs (Post 1172463)
...One other question does the speed of the card refer to the capture or download of data? Melvin

Melvin,
Read all about it here:
CompactFlash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stelios

Melvin Baggs July 17th, 2009 07:50 AM

Clint, you're right nothing beats a low price if the item works as expected.
Stelios, thanks a lot that was very interesting.
Since the purchase of my Z5U i've learned so much about it through the help of the members of this web site.
From a very complicated camera, people like you have advised and helped me with your comments, to make it a more manageable and fun experience.
Just bear with me, as I am learning about all of the little switches and buttons and things that make it work to get good video and might ask a question that seems a bit amateurish.
But thats what I am, an Amateur with a bad-ass camera on the ready to capture the moment.

Melvin

Stelios Christofides July 17th, 2009 03:08 PM

Mervin
Be Careful because this site is very addictive and once you get get hooked, then you had it, you can go back...lol. You will have problems with your wife, girlfriend,work...you will have less sleep at nights and the worst you will become a moving encyclopedia...

By the way, why did you purchase the Z5?

Stelios

Melvin Baggs July 17th, 2009 11:34 PM

Stelois,

I see what you mean. Here it is almost one-thirty in the morning and I'm checking DVinfo for new new posts!! :-)

After checking specs and talking with B&H they sold me on the concept of the integration of the Z5/MRC1 tapeless system with the 20X lens vs the FX1000/HVRDR60, which would have been cheaper with the rebate being offered on the 60's HD, but it looked so bulky when mounted on the camera.

The question to ask, (as my wife asked while looking at me opening all the boxes) was "Why Did You Get A New Camera??" and my response to her was "Since We Got Or First Grand Child I Needed One..............and I can't send it back caused I opened the box"

Must be a Man Thing.

Melvin

Stelios Christofides July 18th, 2009 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melvin Baggs (Post 1173208)
...The question to ask, (as my wife asked while looking at me opening all the boxes) was "Why Did You Get A New Camera??" and my response to her was "Since We Got Or First Grand Child I Needed One..............and I can't send it back caused I opened the box"

Must be a Man Thing.

Melvin

Wow Melvin! This amazing camera just to film your Grand Child? Lucky Grand Child! Lucky you! Congratulations. Because most of the people here they use this camera for professional work. but I suppose if that's what you want man, well that's what you get. Enjoy it.

Stelios

Melvin Baggs July 18th, 2009 09:24 PM

Stelios,

Grand Child (hopefully Children) videos are just the beginning.
All Pro's at some point in their careers start out as Amateurs.
I just so happened to start out with a nice camera that will take me into Weddings and Event Video-photography.
Why get a entry level camera when what you really want is all the bells and whistles.
You only live once.

Look out Spielberg!!

Melvin

Stelios Christofides July 19th, 2009 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melvin Baggs (Post 1173498)
...You only live once...Melvin

Absolutely Melvin. You only live once!!!

Stelios

James Strange July 21st, 2009 02:52 PM

I use 3 transcend 32gb 133x, 1 kingston 32gb 133x and 1 kingston 16gb 133x (although I seem to have lost the 16gb card:( )

I've shot about 18 weddings with the Z5 MRCK1 combo, and i love it.

The only thing I should point out is that you should not 'format' the cards, simply 'delete all'

I had to send one of the transcends back at the start, but after reading the ever useful dvinfo boards, it was suggested that the problem was becuase I 'formattd the card',

I was advised to simply 'delete all'.

Been doing that ever since and no problem with the cards.

I'm loving the tapless workflow, so much so that I'm thinking about replacing my B-Cam (FX7) and my C-cam (HC-1) with tapelss models... any suggestions?

James

Stelios Christofides July 22nd, 2009 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Strange (Post 1174633)
...I'm loving the tapless workflow, so much so that I'm thinking about replacing my B-Cam (FX7) and my C-cam (HC-1) with tapelss models... any suggestions?James

Buy another Z5 -:)

Stelios

Thanh Nguyen July 22nd, 2009 05:08 PM

it not that you shoudn't format a card. You should not format the card using your computer. Format your card in the HVR itself.

Stelios is right about addicted, damn every night i went to bed at 4am. Everytime i sit down next to my computer DVinfo first before i go anywhere else even my email.

about you telling you wife that "i can't sent it back because i opened" heheh if that is my wife she will say "then throw it out on the street". heheheheh. Half of the gear i own when my wife saw me with it heheh you know what happen. I cant blame her to that cause i like to buy stuff hahahha now i need to sale most of it any taker let me know.

I have 4 32gb 2 of them is 266x ridata and don't buy this if you going to get them. and 2 kingston 133x. $76 each. After got 2 ridata i read somewhere that saying ridata lying about the speed. 266 is the read speed not write and write speed on this is slower than 133. We need write speed more than read speed so keep that in mind. $400 for a sony 16gb is out of hand. you can get 2 $16gb 300x for about 200 somthing and get a compact flash backup device and interchange between the 2 card and your got more freedom and more storage than a 16gb card for $400