DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hard-drive-memory-card-recorders/)
-   -   New Sony HDD Recorder (HVR-DR60) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hard-drive-memory-card-recorders/75022-new-sony-hdd-recorder-hvr-dr60.html)

John McManimie September 7th, 2006 01:30 PM

New Sony HDD Recorder (HVR-DR60)

Sony has announced a new portable hard disk recording unit offering 4.5 hours of continuous recording via i.LINK. It is ruggedized for drops of up to 100cm (39 inches), it has a 14 second memory buffer, and it takes Sony batteries for power as well. :-)

http://www.sonybiz.net/images/produc...DR60(brch).pdf

Meryem Ersoz September 7th, 2006 02:13 PM

does this work with an FX-1? the article doesn't specify it, but it seems like it should...

Chris Hocking September 7th, 2006 08:07 PM

In theory it should work with any firewire/i.LINK device... It should definitily work with the FX...

Steve Nunez September 7th, 2006 08:55 PM

Now this is what I'm talking about- hopefully a solution to truly tapeless videography!

Chris Hocking September 7th, 2006 09:04 PM

I guess the technology already exists, as there are heaps of tapeless direct-to-disk solutions out there. There are even tapeless cameras on the market.

However, I really like the idea of using a Sony product hooked up to my Sony camera. It makes me feel just a little be more safe that my footage is actually being recorded properly. It looks like it will fit nicely with the Z1/FX, uses the same batteries (which is very handy!), and means I can record onto the harddrive AND the tape (as a backup). It should be, in theory, the perfect addition to anyone who alreadys owns a Sony HDV camera.

Hopefully it's bug free and compadible with the popular NLEs!

Rob Ferretti September 8th, 2006 06:37 AM

how much and where can you buy?

Chris Hocking September 8th, 2006 06:26 PM

I believe they have only just been announced in Japan. I'm presuming we'll hear more of the specifics in the coming weeks...

Scott Hayes September 9th, 2006 08:11 AM

I am all over a couple of these! Hell yeah! I just hope they are reasonably
priced.

Steve Nunez September 9th, 2006 11:28 AM

I'm willing to bet it'll be somewhat "overpriced" in typical Sony fashion. But if it works- it might be the best bet for a tapeless workflow.

Giroud Francois September 9th, 2006 11:36 AM

it announced 1700 euros on some website, so it is probably same pricing as the previous model DSR-DU1, around 2000$. too expensive, but we can hope for some price drop with time.
If it is built with same quality as the DSR-DU1, it worth the price probably.
anyway, my DSR-DU1 is for sale as soon the DR60 is out.

Jaii Hein September 11th, 2006 07:42 AM

Does it work flawlessly with Final Cut Express HD

I have downloaded from my sons Sony DCR-SR100 30GB Handycam® Camcorderspacer DCR-SR100. I had to convert the mpg file to dv in order to import into FCE or iMovie. Am I doing something wrong or is this a glitch with using a Mac with a Sony Hard Drive. I am interested in the new HVR-DR60 harddrive by sony being I own a Panasonic AG-DVC60 for documentary work and simple ads for clients and now download Mini-DV tapes. I understand the HVR will also save as AVI file? Has anyone used this item yet and what are the results via other cameras and Mac Software?
jbirdsound@gmail.com

Chris Barcellos September 19th, 2006 11:54 AM

According to this page, records any HDV or DV by firewire ??:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan.../hvr_dr60.html

And the battery life is fantastic, per Sony's usual course...

Sean Hsieh October 9th, 2006 07:47 PM

this device will not hook up to the a1u will it?

Chris Barcellos October 9th, 2006 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Hsieh
this device will not hook up to the a1u will it?

This is off the page I reference above:

"The HVR-DR60 can be used with existing HDV/DVCAM camcorders equipped with an i.LINK interface such as the HVR-Z1U, HVR-A1U and DSR-PD170. However, use with the HVR-V1U offers unique features only available in this combination."

Richard Zlamany October 9th, 2006 09:21 PM

How can run and gun work be performed with this drive? The firewire to the pd170 can easily slip out. Is there a good way to lock it in to both the cam and the drive?

Rolland Elliott October 10th, 2006 08:18 AM

Not sure if this is a good way, but it works

Not sure if this is a good way, but it works

Buy some stretch elastic and velcro at your local fabric store.

Cut off about 6 inches of elastic and tie it to the end of the Firewire cord so it is centered with 3 inches of elastic on either side.

Sew/hotglue on velcro to the ends. Now simply wrap the elastic around the camera/device and attatch the velcro. The elastic will provide a constant pressure to keep the plug in.

Peace, Rolland

Craig Sovereign October 13th, 2006 09:42 AM

B & H has this on pre-order for $1499.00

Rene Thomas Folse December 31st, 2006 05:18 PM

Shipping Date

I just searched everywhere to buy a HVR-DR60 and could not find one in stock. Does anyone know if these are in stock anywhere, or if not when they will ship.

Marshall Levy December 31st, 2006 06:57 PM

Supposedly the 2nd week of January. I have one on order but also purchased a new 120G swappable Nnovia for almost the same price; they're bigger, but a lot more storage space and functionality, and work incredibly well :)

Brett Whited January 2nd, 2007 09:52 AM

Can you use Final Cut Pro HD to edit the mpeg2 files from the Sony DCR-SR100?

Arnt Mollan January 27th, 2007 09:32 AM

Sony HVR-DR60

Just heard that the HVR-DR60s for Europe is stopped in England, and returned to Sony, because the unit does not support FCP and Avid OMF.

Steve Nunez January 27th, 2007 10:05 AM

Sony is just weird, I guess since they make VAIO's they're on the PC side yet allot of their prosumer stuff is bought by Apple users~ yet go to Macworld (showed off the Sony FX-1 HDV) and talk about their great respect for Apple and their users yet leave allot of Apple users with no solutions to using allot of their products (when was the last time anyone saw a Sony product with Mac software???)
Sony also debuts new HDV cams (FX7 etc) yet none of these cams can use their HVR unit because they don't enable the proper "rec out" commands via firewire (iLink) and only their upper end V1U does this (a simple change on the board would have made this work on their other units)......I just don't understand Sony at all!!!

They show signs of brilliance with some of their products yet always leave "something" out......just don't get that company!

Arnt Mollan January 27th, 2007 01:10 PM

They ment that this had to be fixed in hardware, so it is not just a software problem. In that case it will take some time before its on the marked.
I have just sold my FS-4 HD, and was waiting for the Sony, to make my recordings easyer. I really need the 14 sec buffer.

Stephen Kettyles January 30th, 2007 11:12 AM

Availability

Does anybody know if these are available anywhere? I have heard conflicting info about orders etc. Can they be purchased in Ireland?

Greg Quinn February 7th, 2007 03:34 PM

<bump>
Anyone know what the stateside delivery timeline is for the HVR-DR60?

Marshall Levy February 13th, 2007 09:45 PM

Next week from my rep - finally. I'm sure at NAB Sony will have a larger model, too.

Juliana Mori March 7th, 2007 08:11 AM

[They ment that this had to be fixed in hardware, so it is not just a software problem.
I have just sold my FS-4 HD, and was waiting for the Sony, to make my recordings easyer. I really need the 14 sec buffer.]

I'm trying to understand the compatibility of HVRDR60 with FCP Mac plataform (mainly in DV Standard Definition cause that's what I'm using right now) but it seems like it just trickier every time...

Has anyone already tested this Sony HD? The "raw dv" it delivers is or is not compatible with FCP? And, in HD, the m2t has to be converted before going to FCP??

Arnt, another doubt, what is the 14 sec buffer???

Thank you all.

Arnt Mollan March 7th, 2007 11:59 AM

Hi everyone.
Just picked up my new HVR-DR60, and starts recording tonight. Comments will follow as soon as I have
seen what this little box can do. Curious on the transfer speed from the 1,8" disc to the Desktop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juliana Mori (Post 637532)
Trying to understand the compatibility of HVRDR60 with FCP Mac plataform (mainly in DV Standard Definition cause that's what I'm using right now) but it seems like it just trickier every time...

Has anyone already tested this Sony HD? The "raw dv" it delivers is or is not compatible with FCP? And, in HD, the m2t has to be converted before going to FCP??

Arnt, another doubt, what is the 14 sec buffer???

Thank you all.

Hi Juliana.
Not sure howe FCP will react on the DR-60, but I am told that you can not edit on the disc itself.
You need to import the files to a new HD, because on the DR60 every file is in its own folder???

The 14 sec buffer is simply a prerecord to the disc. Very handy if you are waiting a long time for something that suddenly will appear or happen. When I hit the REC button, it will also record the
previous 14 seconds to the DR-60.

Juliana Mori March 7th, 2007 12:22 PM

good news, Arnt

finally someone will find out what's true and what's just legend about the so called dr60

editing on the disc itself is not a problem for me, if the transfer speed is fast enough

please, I'd ask you to see that compability matter in SD mode (footage "dv raw" from the DR60 to Final Cut) and let me informed

at last, I don't get the prerecord stuff: before you reach the power button to record, it has the previous 14sec recorded? seems like magic... like airplane's cockpit voice recorder?

enjoy your new toy!