DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hard-drive-memory-card-recorders/)
-   -   HVR-DR60 to Final Cut Pro? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hard-drive-memory-card-recorders/88026-hvr-dr60-final-cut-pro.html)

Paul Kendal March 3rd, 2007 12:04 PM

HVR-DR60 to Final Cut Pro?

What would be the best workflow that would enable the use of the Sony DR60 hard disc recorder with Final Cut Pro. I will be filming in HDV with either a Sony FX1 or a Canon XH-A1.

Juliana Mori March 5th, 2007 04:20 PM

HVRDR60_dv raw or .mov?

I've been looking forward to purchase Sony's Dr60 but today, when I was going to purchase it, I couldn't find any information about the compatibility between Final Cut Pro/Mac and Sony HD in DV Standard Definition.

In Sony's release they talk about ".avi" (native PC) and "dv raw" for SD. FCP uses ".mov". Does anyone know how this workflow (DV footage - DR60 - Mac FCP) should work?

Everyone I talked to told me I should convert the avi into movies, but what is the worth to buy such an expensive equipment in order to do not waste time with te capturing process and do waste time encoding videos???

If anyone has purchased this item, please help with this question. I've till tomorrow to buy it and now I'm thinking it will be a waste of money...

And if anyone know any other portable Hard Disk that works with Dv footage on Mac FCP, please let me know.

I'll aprecciate your help.

Patrick Moreau March 6th, 2007 08:31 PM

Firestore fs4 works well with mac. The HD pro version also encodes HDV to quicktime so you can edit HD footage right away too.

The sony version will need to hve the files converted if working in HD as FCP will not take m2t files easily. If you record with the sony unit to raw DV that will go striaght into FCP. The firestore costs less and does DV and HDv so it may be a better bet, although the design of the sony seems to be much better.

Patrick Moreau March 6th, 2007 08:44 PM

Sind the DR60 records to m2t you need to convert before being able to use them in FCP easily. MPEG streamclip is fairly fast and free and it will convert the clip.

I just returned the Firestore Fs4HD as it only did m2t and it was a pain. Got the pro version and it records to quicktime which goes into FCP right away.

Juliana Mori March 7th, 2007 05:33 AM

[If you record with the sony unit to raw DV that will go striaght into FCP.[/QUOTE]

I'm actually considering the FS4 now but I just don't get it... the Sony "raw DV" is understood by FCP as a QT movie file? (so it will go straight into FCP)
Which format is "raw dv"? Is it dv with no compression or is it ".dv"?

Patrick Moreau March 7th, 2007 07:22 AM

It should record 'raw dv' to .dv as you said, and fFCP will handle that fine.

IF you later work in HDV, then the FS4 HD Pro will record HDV to quicktime which can go straight into FCP.

Juliana Mori March 7th, 2007 07:49 AM

Thanks for the information, Patrick.

I thought m2t was what HDV Cameras would deliver to tape, so the native HDV format in FCP.

Patrick Moreau March 7th, 2007 07:53 AM

While it may record to M2t to tape (I'm not sure) it imports as quicktime when I import from my Canon XHA1 and of course, that plays right away in FCP. I had the Firestore HD and when I tried to use m2t files, they needed to be converted first.

Paul Kendal October 20th, 2007 05:22 PM

Any Luck yet?

Anyone have any luck using the HVR-DR60 with Final Cut Pro yet?

I would love to get one of these to use with my FX1 if it will record files that I can use in FCP.

THANKS!

Paul Kendal December 13th, 2007 09:21 AM

Just got off the phone with Sony....

...and they said that the plug-in for for Final Cut Pro 6.0.2 would be available soon.

So, even though the Apple website says that Final Cut Pro 6.0.2 works with the HRV-DR60, it currently does not until Sony releases the plug-in.

Frederic Lumiere December 17th, 2007 07:08 PM

You can play the clips in video mode and via firewire from the HDD, FCP will recognize the stream and convert to prores 422 - 23.98.

Not as good as Log and Transfer but not bad.

Frederic

Edwin Wilson December 18th, 2007 05:53 PM

Did you do this as a log and capture? I tried this with mine last night and it never detected a device. Basic firewire easy setup, maybe?

Frederic Lumiere December 18th, 2007 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwin Wilson (Post 794963)
Did you do this as a log and capture? I tried this with mine last night and it never detected a device. Basic firewire easy setup, maybe?

Yes Edwin,

Choose easy setup first (HDV - Prores 422, 23.98)

Then, change the device control to HDV Firewire

Then Log and capture - it'll ask you for a clip name and will control the HDD.

F

Edwin Wilson December 19th, 2007 05:57 PM

Hmm... Have you changed any settings on the DR60 itself? While playing with it last night, the log and capture window came up fine with "VTR OK"; but when I attempted to play or capture, I got the beachball until I either force quit FCS or turned the DR60 off.

Frederic Lumiere December 19th, 2007 06:03 PM

You shouldn't get the "VTR OK" when you select the HDV>Prores preset. It'll only ask you for a clip name. No controls.