DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   HDR-HC7 Discontinued (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/112028-hdr-hc7-discontinued.html)

Yung Mah January 9th, 2008 03:07 PM

HDR-HC7 Discontinued

Is there going to be a replacement? or do you think Sony is going away from the minidv format?

David Stoneburner January 9th, 2008 03:51 PM

I believe that they announced an HDR-HC9 at CES. It' my understanding that it was the only tape based camera that they had out of a lot of other memory based cameras. I saw some pictures. It looks improved a little.

Dave Blackhurst January 9th, 2008 04:34 PM

HC9 = HC7 in black, with a couple minor changes. I think they added the ability to spot focus and expose at the same time, which is a nice feature. Looked to me like they added a "hood" of sorts to the front to change the look, otherwise specs and features and likely performance are the same.

I guess you could say the HC7 isn't "discontinued", just "re-introduced" in a sexy new dress!

It's likely that the MiniDV in the consumer space is going to be the "vestigial tail". I think it will be supported, but not likely developed a whole lot more. Looks to me like all the development from ALL the majors is going to the flash memory/HDD space.

I like the little CX7 quite a lot, just for size and convenience, so I can see where the end user is going to eat up the small flash memory cameras, and one flash memory stick probably makes a whole lot more profit than that pack of tapes!

I'm just wondering where the "CX9" and the "FX9" are?

I like the specs on the new hybrid cams, bigger screen and better manual control, but could care less about having a HDD to deal with (I believe you can shut the HD off), and I see the low light ratings are worse, so not sure if these are "progress". Will be interesting to see in person!

Jack Zhang January 9th, 2008 09:32 PM

I'm still curious about that "Mechanical Shutter" that's mentioned on the SonyStyle site. Is it marketing ploys or is the shutter system actually different on this one?

Pat Reddy January 9th, 2008 11:18 PM

I believe I just saw the HC-7 still listed for sale on the Sonystyle site. What makes you think it has been dicontinued?

Pat

Dave Blackhurst January 10th, 2008 12:56 AM

It's very likely that the HC7 will be phased out as the HC9 is nearly identical, unless Sony plans to offer silver and black as color choices... which I doubt. The HC9 will no doubt come off the same assembly line as the 7, with a few minor tweaks and changes.

The manual for the HC9 is already up, but the camera won't be available for a month or so.

Yung Mah January 10th, 2008 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 805989)
It's very likely that the HC7 will be phased out as the HC9 is nearly identical, unless Sony plans to offer silver and black as color choices... which I doubt. The HC9 will no doubt come off the same assembly line as the 7, with a few minor tweaks and changes.

The manual for the HC9 is already up, but the camera won't be available for a month or so.

I placed an order for the HDR-HC7 from my local store, a couple days later, they informed me that it has been discontinued.

I emailed another supplier:

Yung,

This model is discontinued, but at the moment we still have some available in our channels. They will go quickly in all likelihood, so I would suggest that we get an order placed quickly.

I emailed him back, and told him I wait till the new one comes out.

It's no rush, for me to buy one, I have a HVR-Z1U, I just wanted one so I can take on holidays, and get a underwater video hosuing for it. HVR is just to big for holidays.

Ray Wesley January 23rd, 2008 09:36 PM

HC7 still available

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Camcorder.html

Steve Leverich January 25th, 2008 12:35 AM

Looks to me like one of the "minor" changes was to raise the price about $100 in order to pay for removing almost ALL manual control options :=(( Steve

Dave Blackhurst January 25th, 2008 12:54 AM

HUH?

The HC9 is priced lower than the HC7 listed at and according to the manual appears to have all the same features, plus a few new ones, like spot focus and exposure being available on one screen, center marker, and peaking... and a lens hood.

The HC7 isn't a manual monster, but the HC9 didn't lose any functionality, and the HC7 isn't bad.

Ray Wesley January 25th, 2008 07:52 AM

HC7 vs. HC9

Been waiting for this announcement as this time last year Sony announced the HC5 and HC7.
So I was curious as to whether I would be upgrading for the 3rd year in the row as far as HD cams go (HC3 to HC7 to HC9 ? ). I like the look of the HC9 as it is real close to my HC7 but it looks to me as though the few extras aren't worth getting rid of a cam I am already real happy with, but to each his own I could change my mind after some more exploration or get it and keep both the HC7 and HC9..

Dave Robinson January 25th, 2008 08:36 AM

http://pan.fotovista.com/dev/2/0/001...l_00148502.jpg

I believe this is a picture of an HC9. Only one I could find though so it could be taken with a pinch of salt. Does look like the HC7 with a hood though.

Dave Blackhurst January 25th, 2008 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Wesley (Post 814074)
Been waiting for this announcement as this time last year Sony announced the HC5 and HC7.
So I was curious as to whether I would be upgrading for the 3rd year in the row as far as HD cams go (HC3 to HC7 to HC9 ? ). I like the look of the HC9 as it is real close to my HC7 but it looks to me as though the few extras aren't worth getting rid of a cam I am already real happy with, but to each his own I could change my mind after some more exploration or get it and keep both the HC7 and HC9..

yup, the "upgrade" path isn't very big here... barely a step, and definitely not a jump. The HC9 looks sexy in black (back to the HC1 look!?), but it's sure not a "gotta have" if you've got the HC7 and are happy with it. Make a nice #2 cam though if you have and like the HC7 since the controls will be 99% the same!

This was the year they are pushing the AVCHD/flash memory cams, the tape stuff was almost an afterthought... like "shouldn't we do something with last years cam so we can show something new"? "Hey, lets make it BLACK!!!" "GENIUS!!"... Miller time...

Steve Leverich January 25th, 2008 11:21 PM

Dave, I was going by B&H prices/info (which have been known to contain errors) - they have the HC7 @ $975 and the HC9 @ $1100 - in the spec section, the 7 shows Manual Controls - Zoom, White Balance, Shutter Speed, Iris, Focus, Mic Level

While the HC9 shows Manual Controls - Focus

As I mentioned, I've seen other B&H specs quoted wrong and I've not seen the actual HC9 manual - I'll hunt it down, thanks for the heads up... Steve

Steve Leverich January 25th, 2008 11:35 PM

Dave, just went looking for a manual for the HDR-HC9 on sony's site, and came up empty - only found "marketing specifications", which don't mention ANYTHING about any manual modes. Any chance you have a link to the manual you found? I'd appreciate it... Steve

Dave Blackhurst January 26th, 2008 01:26 AM

Steve -
The price for the HC7 is probably a closeout price, as it was originally priced around $13-1400, so the "introductory" price is a couple hundred cheaper on the HC9.

The HC9 manual link seems to have been removed from the site, but I grabbed it when it first went up, and aside from the few minor additions, it's the same cam in black with a lens hood, unless they unleash some last minute changes. It would have been nice to see more upgrades, but the HC7 is a great little cam, so the HC9 should follow in it's tracks.

Steve Leverich January 27th, 2008 12:44 AM

Thanks Dave - so you're saying that your HC9 manual claims all the same manual functions as the HC7, and not just focus like B&H claims? I hope that's the case, and as I said I've caught B&H in more than one error in their "specs" pages.

I'm considering one of these cams for some industrial crane work, mostly because theyre 1/3 the price of any Canon that has LANC - I'm still not sure who (if anyone) Canon asked about eliminating LANC from their lower priced offerings, but so far Sony is the only choice I've found with LANC for under 3 grand. Now if they'd add a 20x zoom for the same price :=) - You find out what "big" really means when you shoot industrial stuff without a WA adapter - I almost never take the 0.5 off my cams, and they're 16x... Steve

Dave Blackhurst January 27th, 2008 01:24 PM

Yes, it's identical menus from my brief perusal, and I'd swear it's the same cam painted black <wink>. The "upgrades" are a center marker, peaking, and a single spot focus/exposure. It does NOT appear to have the facial recognition or the other software type upgrades that the new SR cams do. I'd expect near identical performance, but without one in hand, no way to tell for certain.

Just FYI - LANC is a Sony protocal, so they charge to use it, Canon may not have felt there was enough demand to justify licensing on the low end. AND, you should know that the Sony AVCHD cams have LANC functionality which can be accessed from the A/V jack. Have it about 90% documented, but my LANC controllers all work 100% with my CX7, and the new SR's appear to have the same capability. SO, if a flash or hard drive cam is an option, keep that in mind - a LANC can be adapted.

I'm confused by WA and 20x zoom... These cams have an adequate 20x digital zoom (basically an electronic doubler, which with HD is not as bad as it might sound - "full" zoom starts to degrade, but most of the range is usable).

Yes, a WA is a necessity to get a good enough field of view, in MOST situations I mount one of the HG series .7 Sony lenses, and have a .3 fisheye in the bag.

Chris Hurd January 27th, 2008 01:58 PM

Just to note, I've renamed this forum from HDR-HC1/3/5/7 to HDR-HC Series.

Jim Nogueira January 27th, 2008 03:21 PM

HDR-HC9 Hybrid HDV/Memory Stick Camcorder

According to the B&H info., the HC9 is a hybrid, and will record to tape or Memory stick. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that the HC7 does this. The HC9 also shows Exmor technology, where the HC7 doesn't. And the HC9 shows a 5 lux rating, where the HC7 shows 2 Lux.

Adam Gold January 27th, 2008 04:25 PM

As with the HC7, the Memory Stick Duo is only for stills on the HC9 (p. 24 of the manual).

And while it was rumored that the HC9 would incorporate the Exmor technology, it doesn't appear that this is so. At least the phrase does not appear in the official specs in the manual.

Steve Leverich January 27th, 2008 05:10 PM

Dave, thanks for checking those items - what I meant by the 20x zoom is that it should go wider without an adapter than a 10x lens. Some of the stuff I shoot is 30 feet tall/8 feet wide in fairly tight quarters, so I almost need a fisheye for some shots. For some of these shots, if I need a close-up detail I'll zoom in while tilting/panning to put the object of the closeup center screen, then chop out most of the zoom footage using a dissolve so the effect is to lead the eye enough to recognize what/where the close shot is about. Seems to work visually so far.

Most of my shoots are several hours at a time, so HDD or expensive cards aren't looking too good - still using SD and tapes, forseeably for quite a while. Top loading is a MUST because I'm using Manfrotto's with quick plates - makes it easy to put up my Nikon for high res stills of same scenes.

There are several conflicts for me - I need a wide range of zoom in a fully controllable cam that's cheap or free (possible damage due to environment) and full auto operation (so I don't get killed) with none of the downsides (piece of cake, right ? :=)

There've been quite a few times when a crane would have greatly improved impact, so giving that one quite a bit of thought.

Been using a pair of Elura 65's so far, lusting after a XH-A1 or two but can't justify the cost just yet - can't stand the AGC audio, so have a Microtrack for main audio track. Battery life is marginal with the microtrack, so looking at a USB sled of some kind, but hate carrying/connecting 12,000 peripherals. I'd prefer a manual audio cam and just a remote mic - have both mono and stereo Rode video mics, they don't work too bad.

Seems like for every solution, there are at least three problems...

Steve Leverich January 27th, 2008 05:22 PM

Adam - durn, am I the ONLY one that didn't get the HC9 manual before they dumped it??!?

'nuther rant on B&H - (or sony) - the hc7 is referred to as "top loading", the hc9 as "side loading", but the pix says they're just different colors. Consistency/accuracy would be greatly appreciated... Steve

Dave Blackhurst January 27th, 2008 06:39 PM

Steve -
One possible consideration when you mention environment - these small sonys have an accessory called the "sports pack" - depending on the specific environmental threat, the $200 spent might save a 1K camera? I'm setting up to do some stuff in a woodshop, with lots of dust/flying wood chips potential - the cams are going into sports packs...

The SPKs have microphones that connect to the cam when in the case, but you'd have to mod them somewhat as they use the LANC, but are designed to be handheld with the cam in a sealed box... and watertight controls on the outside. If you didn't need the watertight part, you could mod for an external LANC.

HC7&9 are "top load", I guess someone thought since the side pops open...

AND, I'm pretty sure EXMOR didn't make it into the 9... sadly. And it's definitely not a hybrid like the SR11/12, which record either to HDD (with lots of capacity, so no need to change tapes), or to the memory stick...

Main challenge with HDD (hard disk drive) or Flash recording is an adequate archive/backup workflow, but there are some advantages over tape. Don't rule it out entirely... I did for a while, but after testing it, I'm moving that way - won't miss the piles of tapes!

Steve Leverich January 28th, 2008 09:49 AM

Dave, I agree about the piles of tapes - just recently did a 3-day seminar on vacuum and leak detecting, got a stack of 40 tapes (20 hrs each A and B roll) - there's a lot of chaff, but some useful info for training as well. Dubbed all the A roll onto DVD's to make it easier to catalog, then the fun (editing) starts.

Methinks I need to re-examine some of the reasons I was against HDD. Also checked out the sport packs on B&H, only found one model. Still, some sort of underwater housing might be a good idea for some of my projects, thanks again... Steve

Dave Blackhurst January 28th, 2008 03:05 PM

main reason I'm not sure about HDD is the lifespan - figure it may mean a 3-5 year camera "life" as a dead HD is a dead camera... and my hard drives seem to do about 3-5 years, but they are spun up most of the time, and seem to get fidgety when "retired" to less vigorous duty... a cam is a whole different usage profile.

For your use the HDD might be great, as you could edit out the chaff in camera, or fairly quickly in edit without waiting for tape dump - the AVCHD seems to xfer around 1/3 real time here, and I've heard better in some cases - nice workflow boost if you'll be dealing with a lot of material.

I think the SPK-HCC is the "current" Sony offering, but the HCB is similar, and pops up on occaision - if you want an empty shell (no electronics) PM me - I think there's one or two in my scrap pile, no guarantees on watertightness, but would protect the cam and you could mod for external LANC.

Steve Leverich January 28th, 2008 06:36 PM

Dave, thanks for your generous offer; before I put you out any further, I'll "cogitate" on this a bit more - most of the paranoia I'm feeling is more along the lines of physical damage due to being in the wrong place/wrong time, and so far no one's asked me to shoot in the SERIOUSLY dirty portions of the plant - this company has so much money (rare metals) that if that ever comes up, I'd not be surprised if they just bought me a camera to throw away after :=)

On the HDD subject, I wasn't referring to any of the INTERNAL HDD cam's, just not enough shoot time before dumping on any I've seen so far. I'll be studying up on stuff like Firestore instead, so I can carry a handfull of high cap laptop drives, dump 'em later to OTHER, even higher cap externals that I use for editing (can you tell I've not researched this much yet??!? :=)

Starting to think I've pulled this thread about as far OT as I should... Steve