DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   Sony HC1 Dirty Head Warnings - best head cleaner advice? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/123918-sony-hc1-dirty-head-warnings-best-head-cleaner-advice.html)

Shahryar Rizvi June 16th, 2008 04:59 PM

Sony HC1 Dirty Head Warnings - best head cleaner advice?
 
Hey guys,

I browsed through this subforum a bit going back a few months and didn't see anything on this:

I was importing some footage into my 15" 2.2ghz MacBook Pro C2D SR a couple weeks ago and was noticing that the footage was jumping. I was wondering if it was a) the camera, b) the tape or c) my computer. When I made my Quicktime exports of the vid, there were some slight jumps, but nothing too bad. I wondered about the tape because I had recorded over this tape quite a few times (I usually record and re record a few times before retiring the tape).

Then the other day, I saw a warning on the dirty tape heads show up on my screen.

I've had my Sony HC1 since spring 2006 when I bought it open box from Best Buy. In Fall, 2007, the tape mechanism broke so I had Sony Fix it and send it back. That's really the only history of maintenance on this camera. I've never got a head cleaner or anything.

Any suggestions?

Martin Labelle June 16th, 2008 05:51 PM

Hello Shahryar

how much does it cost you for the repair? because my A1U is going to the doctor tommorow.
the tape mechanism (eject) don't work no more and there is a code c30 something on the screen.and an arrow that say eject tape.mechanism won't even come up.
All broke when I put the camera on a diet of Fuji and Maxell tapes.the problem had happen a few time but nothing serious.But this weekend I was far from correct shop and far from home and I had to buy tapes once at a gas station, the other in a drugstore.
The only tapes my camera like is Sony and Panasonic in two years never a problem with sony I use 2 or 3 cassette per week. but I have 8 broken cassette 4fuji 3maxell 1panasonic (always when I was in trouble)it put me in more trouble.

they call it stormy monday

Joe Busch June 16th, 2008 06:19 PM

Well you might attribute your head problems to the fact that Sony tapes use wet lube and most other brands use dry lube... Mixing tape brands is generally bad...

In the future I recommend using one tape brand and continuing to use it, especially if you don't know specifically what lubrication is being used in the tapes.

I stuck with Sony for mine, because it was a Sony camera :)

Michael Krawchuk June 16th, 2008 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahryar Rizvi (Post 894124)
Hey guys,

I browsed through this subforum a bit going back a few months and didn't see anything on this:

I was importing some footage into my 15" 2.2ghz MacBook Pro C2D SR a couple weeks ago and was noticing that the footage was jumping. I was wondering if it was a) the camera, b) the tape or c) my computer. When I made my Quicktime exports of the vid, there were some slight jumps, but nothing too bad. I wondered about the tape because I had recorded over this tape quite a few times (I usually record and re record a few times before retiring the tape).

Then the other day, I saw a warning on the dirty tape heads show up on my screen.

I've had my Sony HC1 since spring 2006 when I bought it open box from Best Buy. In Fall, 2007, the tape mechanism broke so I had Sony Fix it and send it back. That's really the only history of maintenance on this camera. I've never got a head cleaner or anything.

Any suggestions?

I had the same problem, only without the dirty tape head warning. Get a head cleaning tape and run it in the camera for about 10 seconds and you should be good to go.

Shahryar Rizvi June 16th, 2008 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Busch (Post 894170)
Well you might attribute your head problems to the fact that Sony tapes use wet lube and most other brands use dry lube... Mixing tape brands is generally bad...

In the future I recommend using one tape brand and continuing to use it, especially if you don't know specifically what lubrication is being used in the tapes.

I stuck with Sony for mine, because it was a Sony camera :)

Yep, I have gotten that advice before and since Day 1, I have always only stuck with the Sony blue label tapes - the Sony DVM-60 PR

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Krawchuk (Post 894219)
I had the same problem, only without the dirty tape head warning. Get a head cleaning tape and run it in the camera for about 10 seconds and you should be good to go.

cool, thanks. Any specific recommendations?

Shahryar Rizvi June 16th, 2008 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Labelle (Post 894157)
Hello Shahryar

how much does it cost you for the repair? because my A1U is going to the doctor tommorow.
the tape mechanism (eject) don't work no more and there is a code c30 something on the screen.and an arrow that say eject tape.mechanism won't even come up.
All broke when I put the camera on a diet of Fuji and Maxell tapes.the problem had happen a few time but nothing serious.But this weekend I was far from correct shop and far from home and I had to buy tapes once at a gas station, the other in a drugstore.
The only tapes my camera like is Sony and Panasonic in two years never a problem with sony I use 2 or 3 cassette per week. but I have 8 broken cassette 4fuji 3maxell 1panasonic (always when I was in trouble)it put me in more trouble.

they call it stormy monday

Yikes, sorry to hear that Martin. At the time actually, I think sony screwed up and let me send it under warranty even though it was out of warranty. So luckily I paid nothing.

I know the labor runs out in 3 months time while the parts runs for 1 year after date of purchase and the cost should have been $250 for just the labor - if it was within 1 year of purchase that is. I was outside the year of warranty anyways.

Perhaps in the registration with the previous owner (I bought it open box from best buy - though it was in tip top shape with box, all parts/accessories, and everything still in plastic)... something went down a little screwy in the Sony system. Not sure, I didn't argue but if something happens to my HC1 again, I'm not sure I'd pay to get it fixed since it's value now is probably around the amount it would cost for the repair.

Michael Krawchuk June 17th, 2008 04:42 PM

Head cleaning tape
 
I use the sony head cleaning tape. here's a link to it.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Cassette.html

Shahryar Rizvi June 18th, 2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Krawchuk (Post 894637)
I use the sony head cleaning tape. here's a link to it.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Cassette.html

Thanks! I'll prob grab it from amazon to save a few bucks though:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DVM12CLD-.../dp/B0000632H7

Ray Wesley June 19th, 2008 06:26 AM

dirty heads
 
The Sony head cleaner above solved all my problems with both my HC7 and my Canon HV20 as I was suffering severe droputs on both cams. Shot over 20 hours since then with both cams, not a single hiccup.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:26 PM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2020 The Digital Video Information Network