DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   HD adapter lenses (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/48584-hd-adapter-lenses.html)

Steve Watnet July 30th, 2005 04:34 PM

HD adapter lenses

One of those funny posts* by Wayne got me re-asking a question: what's the scoop on "HD" lenses?

Here's what I can figure out myself: lenses can convey detail only to a certain resolution. In order to convey resolution at the level of detail that HD provides, one should use a higher quality lens.

Some camera shop guys have expressed enthusiasm about Kenko lenses at the lower end.

Would anyone like to share more on the subject of selecting a wide angle adapter for the HC1?

* he links to a japanese catalog page that shows an HC1 with a wide angle adapter here : http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=46605

Greg Jacobson August 5th, 2005 09:56 AM

I need to buy some filters. I was at the camera shot with my HC1 and the guy told me just to get the Kenko filter kit.

Do I need to worry about getting a highter quality filter kit because the HC1 is "High def" ?

Steve Watnet August 9th, 2005 02:40 AM

In case anyone cares, according to local camera guy at the local shop, the answer is:

The only lens adaper that will do is one Sony puts out at $199.

Alexander Karol August 9th, 2005 03:27 AM

The SONY High-Grade lens will do the best job at retaining the HDV quality. However, when shooting in HDV, a minor downgrade in resolution will be barely noticable and most lenses out there will do fine.

Stu Holmes August 9th, 2005 04:59 PM

Vcl-hg0737x

I have this Sony Hi-grade WA converter lens and it's very good.
Definitely worth the money, no complaints at all, - i recommend it.

I believe it's available in 2 colours : silver (code ending X) and black (code ending Y.

regards

Steve Watnet August 9th, 2005 05:58 PM

Well, Alexander, I love to hear that kind of real world thing, but my skeptical side has me wondering:

Are lenses rated in resolution, too? Like for example, if you've got a WA adapter that rated for SD--is the resolution of detail it is transmitting like somewhere between SD and HD resolution?

Or do lenses not get quantified this way?

Alexander Karol August 10th, 2005 12:07 AM

Not really...at least not yet. HDV is still considered new, and until it becomes mainstream, you won't get to see "HDV" accessories.

As far as the lenses go, yes. Certain lenses have better opticals which will in turn lead to better resolution retention. For example, SONY is the leader in the market with the Carl Zeiss lenses. I would not use a cheap piece of glass on top of the HC1, but that is my personal opinion. As I previously stated, HDV's superior resolution will be affected minutely with such lenses.

Stu Holmes August 10th, 2005 10:31 PM

Canon ED (Extra low-dispersion) or Fluorite lenses are generally regarded as standard-setting. In professional equipment, i think it's reasonably common to see a Canon lens on a Sony camera.

Lenses are Canon's 'speciality'.

Steve Gibby August 11th, 2005 10:19 AM

I've used a Canon CA-58 wide angle converter on a Sony VX2000 with excellent results. I've had great results through the years on my 1/2" and 1/3" cameras using Century WA converters, adapters, and extenders. For HDV resolution my advice would be to put the best glass in front of the camera that you can afford. That way you should have the least amount of problems with barrel distortion, vignetting, etc.

Jos Svendsen August 11th, 2005 11:02 AM

BTW I also have a Canon CA-58. And I have a HC1 in order. Do anybody know if it would be feasible to use the two together? The CA-58 is quite massive and somebody wrote that the HC1 is frontheavy. So it might be putting too much weight in the front.

Or?

Steve Gibby August 11th, 2005 11:19 AM

The CA-58 is a good standard definition wide converter, but it's doubtful that it would adequately resolve 1080i. It's also very heavy for a camera the size of an HC1. If I were you, I would wait until Century makes a wide converter for the HC1/A1U that is designed resolve 1080i, and buy that. It will cost you more money, but the results will be much better than using an adapted CA-58 or other converters that are designed to resolve standard definition.