DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   Bottom Loading Solution! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/53249-bottom-loading-solution.html)

Todd Mitchell October 24th, 2005 12:16 AM

Bottom Loading Solution!

Very clever little invention, this.

www.tripodadaptor.com

Avner Levona October 24th, 2005 06:03 PM

to solve bottom loading problem all you need is this

to solve bottom loading problem all you need is this ( 6.95 at B&H)
a Bogen / Manfrotto 2908 Standard Stud with 1/4"-20 Screw - for Super Clamp

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Min Lee October 24th, 2005 06:12 PM

what's the accessory item for Bogen / Manfrotto 2908 Standard Stud? It said its required and it's $25.

Avner Levona October 24th, 2005 08:41 PM

did you clicked on the link? it's a brass pin

Min Lee October 24th, 2005 10:02 PM

yes, i clicked the link. I'm refering to the clamp product below it listed under the accessories.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=DdqJxvCzJT!-1180261542?O=details_accessories&A=details&Q=&sku=5166&is=REG

I just want to know how that pin is intended to be used in conjuncture with that clamp accessory. I can't see the other side of the pin, so does it have a hole for mounting on the tripod plate or is it only intended to be used with that clamp accessory?

Avner Levona October 25th, 2005 07:18 AM

You just need the brass pin , one side ( male) fits the camera and the other side ( female ) fits the quick release plate, I hope that answer your question

Stephen Finton October 25th, 2005 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avner Levona
You just need the brass pin , one side ( male) fits the camera and the other side ( female ) fits the quick release plate, I hope that answer your question

It looks unstable. You could rip the bottom off of your camera.

Alexander Karol October 25th, 2005 03:42 PM

I agree. It does seem quite unstable. I believe the first solution would be best.

Christopher Cruz October 28th, 2005 11:51 AM

just ordered

I just ordered the first solution posted. I'll post my opinions when it comes in.

Avner Levona November 4th, 2005 12:02 PM

Bottom Loading Solution!

It works very well for me, it's easy to take off(using screw drivers etc.), no need to be stuck with it if you don't need it , and can be easily attached to my custom made Manfrotto Rig I've made with a snap. but this is only my way, not the only way.

Min Lee November 12th, 2005 12:04 AM

Just a heads up for anyone looking into the pin. I just bought it since I was buying other stuff from b&h. There's no hole on the other end. It's just flat. So now I have a useless pin.

Any feedback on the first adapter?

Patricia Lamm November 15th, 2005 09:57 PM

I can definitely recommend the adaptor from

www.tripodadaptor.com

I use it with my HC1 and it works great. Very stable. I use it with my Libec LITHM20 tripod. Because of the large shape of my tripod quick-release mount, I need to release the mount before changing tapes (but I don't have to unscrew the quick-release plate from the camera). It also allows me to easily change batteries on the camera (something that's difficult with a tripod because of the battery release latch underneath the battery) without unscrewing the quick-release plate.

Rick Foye November 15th, 2005 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Min Lee
Just a heads up for anyone looking into the pin. I just bought it since I was buying other stuff from b&h. There's no hole on the other end. It's just flat. So now I have a useless pin.

Any feedback on the first adapter?

It's no loss not being able to use the pin. It's pretty much the same thing as the connector that comes with this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

You can't see it in the picture, but the clamp mount is two pieces connected by a small brass connector with threads on each side. It broke in half after 2 days. Even if the brass pin had been threaded on both sides I wouldn't suggest using it to support anything.

Off topic, but I DO recommend purchasing the above clamp mount, throwing away the brass thingy and purchasing this to go in it's place:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

I had to buy some threaded rod to connect the plate to bottom half of the mount. Combined, these parts make up my favorite piece of mounting equpiment. I use it everywhere I go. On fences, railings, rollbars in cars, desks, tables, road signs, etc.

Michael Liebergot November 16th, 2005 07:53 AM

"I use it with my HC1 and it works great. Very stable. I use it with my Libec LITHM20 tripod. Because of the large shape of my tripod quick-release mount, I need to release the mount before changing tapes (but I don't have to unscrew the quick-release plate from the camera)."

Patricia, why do you have to release the mount when changing tapes?

Isn't the tripod adapter attached to the camera and then attached to the quick release plate?

So in theory shouldn't you have enough clearance to just open the the tape door and replace the tape. Or is your tripod head too wide, so you don't have enough clearance.
If this is the case then it could be a problem with most tripod heads like my Bogen 501, or mounted on a rig like my DvRig Pro.

Patricia Lamm November 16th, 2005 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot
Patricia, why do you have to release the mount when changing tapes?

Isn't the tripod adapter attached to the camera and then attached to the quick release plate?

So in theory shouldn't you have enough clearance to just open the the tape door and replace the tape. Or is your tripod head too wide, so you don't have enough clearance.
If this is the case then it could be a problem with most tripod heads like my Bogen 501, or mounted on a rig like my DvRig Pro.

Yes, the adaptor is attached to the camera and then attached to the quick release plate. But, as you indicated, the problem is my particular tripod head is too wide. There's enough clearance for the Sony tape drawer to eject completely, but not for me to remove the tape without damaging it or the tape drawer. (By the way, I have a cheap Best Buy tripod that doesn't have the clearance problem, so your tripod head may be fine.)

I'm able to change batteries without releasing the mount, just not change tapes. That being said, it's a very quick process to release the mount, change tapes, then pop the mount back onto the tripod head. Much better than the current option of unscrewing the quick release mount prior to changing tapes.

If you're interested, I can measure my tripod head to give you an idea of whether it would work with yours.