DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   I finally bought a HD-HC1E. Need help with accessoires! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/57417-i-finally-bought-hd-hc1e-need-help-accessoires.html)

Floris van Eck January 4th, 2006 08:23 AM

I finally bought a HD-HC1E. Need help with accessoires!

I have finally decided which camcorder I am going to buy. I have chosen for the HDR-HC1, because of the incredible image quality compared to SD camcorders like the Panasonic GS-400.

The camera will arrive next week. I am now looking into buying accessoires for the camera. I am considering the tripod mount and hot-shoe mount. I already have a great Manfrotto tripod so do not need one for now.

I need an extra battery, or maybe even two. I am thinking about the QM-71D and QM-91D. I heard that the 91D will be uncomfortable in combination with the use of the viewfinder. Can someone help me with this?

Furthermore I am looking for a good microphone. I know abosolutely nothing about this topic, so all advice is welcome.

I also want to buy a few filters. I was thinking about a polarising filter, ND filter and maybe one or two warming/cooling filters. Besides the 37mm filter size, I have no idea what to look for. I am hearing good things about B&W filters. With the polarizer, do I need a circular polarizer?

Then I am looking for a nice camera bag. I want to buy a shoulder sidesling type of bag, preferrably a Lowe Pro one as I am really satisfied with their bags for my digital SLR camera's. Other brands are an option as well.

I will also buy the wide angle adapter, but not immidiately.

Finally, which DV tapes are you using? I ordered a 5-pack of Sony Premium DV tapes which I believe will do fine. Am I correct?

That is all I can think of for now for a good start with the camera.

Again, thanks for your help everyone.

Evan Dowling January 4th, 2006 09:23 AM

Accesories

An extra battery is a great idea. I would go with the QM-91D. This can be a bit of a problem with the viewfinder so you have to place the viewfinder in its upward-angled position. Then you can see it fine. Unfortunately, you can't have your eye be level with the camera while you are looking at the viewfinder. Bummer.

I have no advice on the mic, as I use a seperate rig for my audio.

Filters are a must. Especially a UV and a Polarizer. B&W are great ones. I use a set I bought from Crystal Optics that are multi-coated, super-high definition and work great, and I only paid $18 for a three piece set! (polarizer, uv, and flourescent)

The wide-angle adapter is also a great idea for this camera because the standard lens is not wide enought to give that great HD feel that you get from a wide-angle. Having the conversion lens also will greatly help balance the weight difference that the larger battery will cause.

As far as tapes... I think if you buy a good quality name brand tape, you should be okay. If you are filming something absolutely critical then I would invest in the overpriced "special" sony HDV tapes. I am currently using TDK's and I have had 3 dropped frames on the last two tapes. Not a big deal for home videos, but not cool for film.

You sound like you're off to a great start, enjoy the camera!

Hse Kha January 4th, 2006 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan Dowling
I would go with the QM-91D. This can be a bit of a problem with the viewfinder so you have to place the viewfinder in its upward-angled position. Then you can see it fine. Unfortunately, you can't have your eye be level with the camera while you are looking at the viewfinder. Bummer.

Hence I would recommend the QM-71D. Much smaller. Viewfinder somewhat useable and still 2-3 hours of usage...

Jaime Angoloti January 5th, 2006 06:20 AM

Accesories

The QM-71D plus the original is good enough for me, plus the wide angle adapter (0737X or Y), the 10/20 W sony light with a Sto-fen diffusor and a tripod/monopod. Those first three accesories compensate the three relative lacks of the HC1: autonomy, focal length and low light limitations.

Floris van Eck January 5th, 2006 08:51 AM

What camera bag are you using? I prefer a Lowe Pro but I cannot find a nice model on their website (judging only the look of them).

Thanks in advance!

Chaz Kempter January 5th, 2006 08:54 AM

Hello Floris,

I have the Lowe Pro slingshot.
If you want a Lowe pro slingshot to carry your HC1 horizontally, you will need the larger one if you keep a hood or extra lens on your camera. Your HC1 will not fit in the small one horizontally if you have a hood. Without your hood the small slingshot is just barely big enough to carry horizontally.

I use the smaller lowpro (modified with "camping foam" cutouts )to carry my camera (with hood) vertically. I like small bags. I carry mine (battery down) in the lower compartment surrounded and tightly supported by a custom foam cutout. This divides the big compartment in two, leaving lots of room for cords, chargers, extra batteries (M-71) ect.ect. The bag is easy to swing around to the front to quickly grab my camera, (or get on a ski lift without squashing it) and also offers a great platform to rest my elbows on as I shoot.

I also have a fanny pack which holds the camera horizontally, (after modifying the inside) with a shoulder strap, so I can unclip the belt and swing it around to the front with only one hand. This method is nice but not quite as padded or secure as the lowe pro.

Both of these methods are designed for high contact carrying.... not your everyday walk in the park. Although I use them for my everyday walk in the park life also.

Floris van Eck January 5th, 2006 08:56 AM

What is the exact model type (on Lowepro.com)?

Jaime Angoloti January 5th, 2006 09:00 AM

I use the Sony bag that has no side pockets, not the cheapest (see Sonystyle, LCS-VA40 I think). The accesories I have fit perfectly inside (bar the tripod), plus a couple of tapes, and it is not too bulky. Yes, you can see it is a Sony... I bought it for 40 EUR

Chaz Kempter January 5th, 2006 09:28 AM

Hey Floris.

I bought my Lowe Pro shingshot 100 at Amazon.com. I think it was $56.

You only have two choices for slingshots ; the 100 or 200. If you don't mind the modifying the smaller 100 it works great to hold the camera very snug. I don't have the larger 200 so I don't know how secure it would be. Hope this helps.

Floris van Eck January 6th, 2006 02:35 PM

Hmmm... the Lowe Pro Slingshot looks attractive. However, I do not like modifying things myself. So I will probarbly go for the Slingshot 200. I am only not sure how much bigger it is, as like you, I don't like carrying huge bags for a whole day. But from the photos on Lowepro.com it looks ok.

I have looked at some of the Sony bags but they seem small. I also like the AW cover system of Lowepro a lot. Like I said, I was extremely satisfied with the Lowepro bags for my digital cameras. Therefore, I want to stick with them, even when the prices of Lowepro bags are a bit more expensive.

Does anyone have experiences with other Lowepro bags? I saw their is also the Compact AW shoulder bag but it looks somewhat big on the pictures. It can hold a GL-2 so I guess it will be too big for a HDR-HC1.

Chaz Kempter January 7th, 2006 08:48 AM

The only photos of the Lowe Pro slingshot I have ever seen (on any website )are of the larger 200 model. When they say it's the 100, it's really the 200. Same picture. If the pack you see on the guys back is small enough for you , it would be the 200 model. If you aren't carrying for an impact sport I would get a shoulder bag because they are much more comfy and efficient.
Backpacks are nice if you have lots to carry, but you must take it off to get at the camera. Fanny packs are ok but the camera is pretty long (with hood and extended lens ) and has a hard time bending around you (unless your pretty wide yourself) and feels like carrying a board in your back if you cinch it tight to yourself. The Lowe Pro bag seems to be well made and you get what you pay for. I have only had my Hc1 for a month and already have three different bags to carry her in. (two are modified) My first thought, when I pulled her out of the box, was how do I protect her in transit? So I spent a lot of time searching for the perfect bag online and in camera stores. Opinion? No one bag does it all. Get atleast two styles so you don't trash your baby on a ski slope trying to wear a shoulder bag or look silly in the mall with a huge fanny pack or bunch your polo leather jacket collar with a slingshot if you don't have to. However, if you want the ultimate carrying bag.... get a diper bag and make your girlfriend / wife carry it. :) (she needs the practice.) ;)

Floris van Eck January 7th, 2006 10:39 AM

I decided that I am just going to take my camera to a speciality store which has all the Lowe Pro bags in stock. I am just going to put it in every one of them untill I find the perfect one, or at least close to it.

I also need some filters so I will buy everything in one package. This way, I can get some hands on experience with the gear. Much better in my opinion.

But I really appreciate your advice!

Floris van Eck January 7th, 2006 12:03 PM

Chaz, do you know how long the HDR-HC1 is with wide-angle conversion lens or lenshood and the NP-QM71D attached? I found this bag which looks ok to me on the Lowe Pro website:

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Shou.../Edit_160.aspx

It is slightly bigger then the 140+ bag. Size (Interior Top Compartment): 9.5W x 4.5D x 6H in / 24 x 11.5 x 15.5 cm.

Thanks for your help!

Chaz Kempter January 7th, 2006 05:20 PM

Hey Floris,

My HC1 with stock hood (tabs removed) and a uv filter behind it comes in at 8 7/8" long x 3 3/4 tall x 3" wide.(with the 71 battery) Since the slingshot 200 is 8 3/4 wide, if you wanted to carry it horizontally (no modifying )it would fit perfect with either the hood or the extra lens attached. The camera is 1/8 inch longer than the bag so the padding would squeeze just enough to keep the camera snug.

Floris van Eck January 10th, 2006 09:00 AM

From what I understand, the HDR-HC1 is 188mm long, the QM-71D 38mm and the wide-angle conversion lens is 58mm. So that would make around 274mm. Which is 27 cm and around 21 inches.

But I am not sure how the wide angle lens is connected? Can someone tell me it works and if it is very easy to remove it and put it back on?

I really want to get the best bag possible for my camera.