DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   Which filters are you using on your HDR-HC1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/57649-filters-you-using-your-hdr-hc1.html)

Floris van Eck January 6th, 2006 02:31 PM

Which filters are you using on your HDR-HC1?

I am looking into some filters for my HDR-HC1, but I have no idea what to look for besides for the 37mm screw-in thread.

I want to buy the following filters:

1 graduated ND
2 stop ND
Polarising filter (do I need circular or what?)
Warming filter (91b?)
and possibily a Black & White filter

I can buy filters from B&W, Hoya and Sony. Sony is offering a filter kit with a polarising filter and a UV filter for an attractive price. I am not sure if they are any good, so I would like to hear your experiences.

Furthermore, there is the Coking P system which I believe allows you to use multiple filters or how does it work? I also want to make sure I am not suffering from vignetting because of the use of a filter.

Finally, the filters also work with the Wide-Angle conversion lens?

Jeff Zimmerman January 6th, 2006 11:22 PM

Filters 37mm

Currently I use 37mm screw on filters from Tiffen. There really nice glass and affordable too. B&H has a good selection.

Mine personally I can put a filter on and screw my .3x Century Fisheye over it and it looks great.

Filter I use:
4 point star filter - City Lights and night shots
Circular Polarizer - Snow and day time shots
1/64 ND - action in bright places
FLD - indoor flourscents
UV - safety when in use
Warm Enhancing filter - fall and desert shooting.

All these filters cost me about $100 total.

I looked for different Matte Boxes but none as of yet are really made for a 37mm camera. Screw on filters is probable the way to go for now.

Floris van Eck January 7th, 2006 12:06 PM

Thanks for your insightful post Jeff. How are the Tiffen filters you are using performing? Are you satisfied about the quality?

Furthermore, can anyone fill me in on the Coking system? From what I get, you use an adapter in your filter size, and the filters are cross-adapter compatible? Has ayone used thse on the HDR-HC1, and with what result? Thanks.

Evan Dowling January 7th, 2006 02:40 PM

Cokin Filter System

The Cokin filter system is a system that many pros are still using. One of the main advantages is that using a filter system like cokin's allows you to use up to 4 filters at once. So you could use a polarizer, a 2 -stop ND, and a blue filter all at once. This gives you a much wider range of shots to choose from. Check out their website. The "P system" is the best one for the HC1.

http://www.cokin.co.uk/

Floris van Eck January 8th, 2006 02:45 PM

Can someone fill me in on this topic further? Cause from what I can find, I cannot find the appropriate adapter ring and filter holder for the 37mm thread of the HDR-HC1. I need to know exactly which product I need to order.

Evan Dowling January 8th, 2006 03:29 PM

Step-up ring

The product you need is called a step-up ring. I just looked one up for real quick:

http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product_main/adr-sur.html

Buy one of these to step up your thread size to whatever you need.

Floris van Eck January 10th, 2006 08:24 AM

Ok, I spoke with someone from BH Photo Video and he told me that the Cokin system is not made for the HDR-HC1. I also spoke to a camera vendor in the Netherlands who told me that the Cokin A system suits the HDR-HC1.

So what do I have to do? One store is telling me I should use regular filters and the other one tells me I can use the Cokin A system.

Is there anyone on these boards who uses the Cokin system?

I am about to order filters and I really need some input here.

Evan Dowling January 10th, 2006 10:31 AM

The ideal setup would be to have the wide angle lens attatched to the camera. That way the cokin filters will fit without any special adapters (i.e. step-up ring). Don't get the A series. They are notorious for vignetting. You might ask Dennis Kane. He is a member here and He uses the cokin system on his HC1. Keep in mind that screw-on filters are fine also, you just can't use more than one at a time. Cokin actually sells screw-ons now.

Tom Hardwick January 10th, 2006 10:36 AM

I'd say beware of using any filters with such a tiny chip, as the DOF can easily bring filter imperfections (dust, fingerprints, flare) into sharp relief. Please don't stack Cokins for the same reason, unless you're shooting in very controlled conditions of manual focus, wide apertures and good lens hooding.

tom.

Evan Dowling January 10th, 2006 10:38 AM

makes sense. Thanks Tom.

Evan Dowling January 10th, 2006 10:42 AM

So you're basically saying that screw-on's are really the only way to go on the HC1. I was hoping to be able to get a little more creative but I can see your point about the small chip.

Tom Hardwick January 10th, 2006 10:45 AM

No - screw-in filters suffer from all the same problems that Cokins suffer. Remember this: Filters add nothing; they only take away.
So use them at your peril - most things can be done (and more importantly undone) in post.

tom.

Floris van Eck January 10th, 2006 01:56 PM

So what you are saying is don't use any filters at all? I think some filters are pretty useful (like graduated ND and two-stop ND). But you are telling that I can easily do the same in post with a better quality?

Jeff Zimmerman January 15th, 2006 11:58 PM

Filters

Only real times I use my screw on filters is if the scene needs it. Like a Polarizer for snow or water glare - FLD for flourscents - UV for some haze. The rest I do in post with Nattress Plug-in's. I have used a cokin system on another camera - it works nice but the screw on's are just easier to hall around and easier to leave on in the case. B&H has some good ones. Maybe try on and see how you like it... there not that expensive. Good Luck.