A1: Rode NTG1/NTG2 and DeadCat muff at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old January 19th, 2006, 06:38 AM   #1
New Boot

A1: Rode NTG1/NTG2 and DeadCat muff

Has anyone tried Rode NTG1 and Rode's DeadCat wind muff with A1? It's quite big. Do you think it would appear to full scan frame?

DeadCat picture:
http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_artikel-187701.html
Petteri Salmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 07:20 AM   #2
Major Player

The deadcat isn't very big at all. And it's just placed upon the mic. I have a NTG2 and the deadcat. Unfortunately I haven't fieldtested them yet so I can't say if it's a good combo.

What do you mean with full scan frame?
Old January 19th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik-Larsson
What do you mean with full scan frame?
Sorry, english isn't my mother tongue. I just ment when camera is zoomed out (wide angle).

Thanks for the info. Let me know when you have field tested your setup!
Old January 19th, 2006, 01:45 PM   #4
Major Player

I use Deadcat on my Rode videomic on my Sony Hc1000.
Doesn't appear in shot at all, even with a 0.7x wideangle converter.

Although the NTG1 with Deadcat is positioned differently on A1 than my Videomic on my cam, i think it's extremely unlikely to appear in shot.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #5
New Boot

Rode NTG2

I have the NTG2 and the deadcat. I haven't had the time to test the audio quality yet, but I have put it on the A1. It does not show up in the frame, but it does add a little unbalanced weight to the camera. It looks a little funny since the camera is so small, but other than that, I have no complaints.
Michael May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #6
Major Player

The NTG1 is a little smaller than the NTG2 since it doesn't need the extra room for a battery. My NTG1 fits my A1 beautifully. The mic is out of view even with the fuzzy windscreen (a Rycote in my case) and a HG0737Y wide angle lens.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 02:19 AM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston
The NTG1 is a little smaller than the NTG2 since it doesn't need the extra room for a battery. My NTG1 fits my A1 beautifully. The mic is out of view even with the fuzzy windscreen (a Rycote in my case) and a HG0737Y wide angle lens.
Thanks for this information. What do you think about NTG1, is it working well with A1 and how about its quality?
Old January 22nd, 2006, 07:14 PM   #8
Major Player

I just got the NTG1 and haven't used it on a job yet, but in tests it seems to be outstanding. The pattern is tight but not too tight and the levels work well with the A1's 10db pad switched on. My plan is basically to use two mics, one for indoors, one for out. I end up using the camera mic a lot because, though I have a boom setup, I don't usually have the extra body to use it. Plus, with the right setup, camera audio can actually be quite good. Anyway, for indoors I have a Sennheiser ME64 and for outdoors, the Rode NTG1. I'll end up using the NTG1 more because I work a lot more outdoors I'm sure. I have an SM-5 shockmount on order and this should help avoid camera noise.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 01:46 AM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston
Anyway, for indoors I have a Sennheiser ME64 and for outdoors, the Rode NTG1.
Thanks again!

Personally I work more indoors, so maybe the ME64 would be the best mic for me? Although in many cases I'll use lavs (also indoor), so would NTG1 be a good compromise, I could use it both in/outdoor while not using lavs? I guess ME64 isn't so good outdoor mic?
Petteri Salmi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series